Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cypher

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
I currenty have a 4 year old 1.5Ghz 12" PB and looking into buying a white MB with the 250gb HDD, 4gb RAM from newegg and was wondering if this would increase the video performance of the MB as the GMA chipset uses system memory. I remember reading somewhere that it takes a much memory as needed if available? Is there someway to force it to dedicate a particular amount of RAM for graphic use?

Also how do people coming from a 12" PB feel about the size, weight and feel of the MB? And is there a significant difference between the LED backlit displays and the MB ones? Thanks!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
If the video takes only what it needs and leaves the rest for the system then why would you want to force it to dedicate memory and therefore no longer work as efficiently?

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I currenty have a 4 year old 1.5Ghz 12" PB and looking into buying a white MB with the 250gb HDD, 4gb RAM from newegg and was wondering if this would increase the video performance of the MB as the GMA chipset uses system memory. I remember reading somewhere that it takes a much memory as needed if available? Is there someway to force it to dedicate a particular amount of RAM for graphic use?

Also how do people coming from a 12" PB feel about the size, weight and feel of the MB? And is there a significant difference between the LED backlit displays and the MB ones? Thanks!

LED is just a "better" backlight. In most situations, people say "wow they're brighter" because they're comparing it to their old and very used screen that has obviously worn down and is not as bright as it once was.

As for the memory, OS X limits it to 144MB (the X3100, 64MB for the GMA 950, both can address more in Windows). But no matter what you do, the GeForce Go 5200 you have in your 12" PB will still run circles around any Intel GPU, including those coming out in the near future.

cypher

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
Thanks for the info!

So are you saying that if I were running windows via Bootcamp on the MB, gaming would be much better as opposed to gaming on OS X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.