Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBXL88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Some of my contact solution reacted unexpectedly overnight on a little bookshelf which is in place over where my macbook is stored. A little bit of this solution dripped onto the keyboard, and now a few buttons do not work (delete and a few function buttons). It is still under warranty, because i bought it in November. My question is would it work to tell them that the buttons just stopped working, since there was very little liquid and it would not easily be detectable? If they say it had to be an accident how much would they charge me to replace the key board? or am i better of just buying a replacement keyboard and doing it myself?

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
My question is would it work to tell them that the buttons just stopped working, since there was very little liquid and it would not easily be detectable? If they say it had to be an accident how much would they charge me to replace the key board? or am i better of just buying a replacement keyboard and doing it myself?

Are you asking us if you should lie? :confused:

Always tell the truth... Apple support might surprise you and replace the keyboard under warranty anyways.

Looks like the MacBook upper case with keyboard is $139.95 for white and $149.95 for black. http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/MacBook-13-Inch/86

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
You can get a top case on eBay for 50 bucks. Just search for "macbook top".

CBXL88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
well i have one of the newer santa rose macbooks, so will all of the ones i see on ebay work???

CBXL88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Yes they will. Even the num lock and stuff (on the pre-SR) will work, but you won't have the media controls at the top.

Alright thanks, i think i am just gonna tell apple the truth then if they won't replace it just get one from ebay. Will the media controls still work (just not be pictured)? just curious, because i use them quite a bit. Thanks though

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Alright thanks, i think i am just gonna tell apple the truth then if they won't replace it just get one from ebay. Will the media controls still work (just not be pictured)? just curious, because i use them quite a bit. Thanks though

No they won't unfortunately.

CBXL88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Thanks everyone, i just won a case from ebay for really cheap so i will try and replace it myself

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Unfortunately not all the cases work so just be careful. I know if you get one with an orange connector ribbon, that would only work with the original core duos and maybe early core 2 duos. The newer ones use a silver connector (at least version 2) ribbon, but there is no guarantee that they would work with the newer models.

Hopefully it all works out!

CBXL88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Hi,

Unfortunately not all the cases work so just be careful. I know if you get one with an orange connector ribbon, that would only work with the original core duos and maybe early core 2 duos. The newer ones use a silver connector (at least version 2) ribbon, but there is no guarantee that they would work with the newer models.

Hopefully it all works out!

Oh thanks for looking out for me, i did a bit of research and made sure i bought the one with the silver ribbon on it. Do you guys know what tools i will need? Just a spudger and a Phillips Head #00 screw driver right?

herman238

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Honestly I'd take it to apple and say it just stopped working, otherwise you'll void your warranty

Stokes

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Or E Gun
Short term gains from telling lies have historically came to bite me in the butt. Many times, it's in the form of making good on what I skated by with, other times, it's not more than an aching conscience. Either way, not worth it. My name is worth more than $150.

CBXL88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
i honestly just do not want to wait for apple to fix it and would rather just do it myself. If i had apple do it i would have to wait until college is over so i can take it to the apple store, which would be like 2 weeks. I also do not want to send it out and not be able to use it for over a week so my best option is fixing it myself. I have a lot of experience with fixing computers, and it looks pretty easy to do. Also apple would probably charge me an arm and a leg. The parts should be here within a week anyways

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I'd just call Apple and tell them that it suddenly stopped working and let them fix it. You can't be 100% certain what happened to it. Maybe the stuff that dripped on it and the broken buttons are a coincidence? Yea that's it ... just a coincidence. :D

CBXL88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
thanks for your help everyone. Got the keyboard in the mail today, and installed it and everything went well. It took a little longer than i though, but i am just happy that it is in good working condition again. I was really lucky that the seller sent me a newer santa rosa keyboard as opposed to the old one (so i do not have to get used to using the media keys). The total damage after buying the tools and the keyboard was only a smidge over $50, which saved me a lot of time and money. Thanks everyone again for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.