Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
What ever happen to this ?

Content below copied from an old article dated August 3rd 2006

One interesting rumor is that Apple is set to announce a new version of their widely anticipated Mac Pro desktop computer called the Mac Pro Cube. This new Cube would be reminiscent of Apple’s G4 Cube, which was a commercial failure, but has managed to attract a devoted cult following. The Mac Pro Cube would bridge the gap between the consumer iMac computers, and the heavyweight Mac Pro computers; A professional desktop for users who don’t need all the horsepower of a Mac Pro, yet don’t want to be tied to the built-in display of the iMac. Details are sketchy, and possible completely false, but the Mac Pro Cube is rumored to borrow many engineering features from Apple’s current Mac mini entry-level desktop and will sell at a $1499 price point. The design of the Cube will be similar to the current G5 Power Mac’s “cheese-grater” appearance, only in a much smaller, cube form. The most ground-breaking feature of the Mac Pro Cube is said to be wireless connectivity to Apple’s new displays, which will be Airport-enabled. This feature will be exclusive to the Mac Pro Cube (at least initially).

Attachments

• g5cube.jpg
    g5cube.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 6,874

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
What do you mean what happened to it? Nothing happened.. there were never any plans for a new one?

The problem (or a problem) with a Mac Pro Cube (Or really, they might wanna call it a Mace Cube) is that in the Al case of the G5, it's just so ugly. Half the attraction to the G4 cube was how sexy it was.. the G5 case in a cube just looks stupid.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
What do you mean what happened to it? Nothing happened.. there were never any plans for a new one?

The problem (or a problem) with a Mac Pro Cube (Or really, they might wanna call it a Mace Cube) is that in the Al case of the G5, it's just so ugly. Half the attraction to the G4 cube was how sexy it was.. the G5 case in a cube just looks stupid.

I have no interest in cosmetics I buy my Apple products for there functionality not looks. I could care less what it came in I am just wondering will we ever see a headless Mac other then the Mini for the common every day user web surfing email etc.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
I have no interest in cosmetics I buy my Apple products for there functionality not looks. I could care less what it came in I am just wondering will we ever see a headless Mac other then the Mini for the common every day user web surfing email etc.

Unlikely, but would be nice. Building a Hackintosh is an option, but not a very good one for many people (don't even mention the Psystar failure).

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
I still have my original Power Mac G4 Cube and I honestly still love that computer, its only 450Mhz but there is something special to me about that computer that I love.

I would love to see Apple to come out with a Mac Pro Cube, which I would say has the same motherboard and processor setup as the Mac Mini, but has more room for expandability for dvd drives and hard drives and ram. I would pay bleep good money for that computer.

But hey that is just my option, and also that photo is from a guy in Japan that took is G4 Cube and made a custom G5 like case for his Cube.

-iGrant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.