Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Just wanted to warn folks that I "updated" my mac pro with the 8800 Nvidia card (2007 mac pro) and my frame rates have plumeted.

Whenever artillery is incoming or other particle effects, my frame rates goes to the single digits. It's completely unplayable.

With the ATI1900 I was getting decent rates, but thought I would get better with the nvidia card. I was SO wrong.

I don't know if this is an EA games bug, a driver bug, or what, but I know of at least one other person who had same experience and so I'm posting this so that hopefully someone will figure it out and also to warn others that upgrading at this point may cripple your ability to play this game. :mad:

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
turn off particle effects and see if it helps. also let nvidia know, the more people that tell them the quicker they will fix it(hopefully):apple:

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Just wanted to warn folks that I "updated" my mac pro with the 8800 Nvidia card (2007 mac pro) and my frame rates have plumeted.

Whenever artillery is incoming or other particle effects, my frame rates goes to the single digits. It's completely unplayable.

With the ATI1900 I was getting decent rates, but thought I would get better with the nvidia card. I was SO wrong.

I don't know if this is an EA games bug, a driver bug, or what, but I know of at least one other person who had same experience and so I'm posting this so that hopefully someone will figure it out and also to warn others that upgrading at this point may cripple your ability to play this game. :mad:

That's wierd as all get out. I know a lot of us who are getting good framerates with the ATI2600xt's so you should be getting MUCH better ramerates with that card and on a Mac Pro!

I have run it in both Mac and Windows (windows is definitely better) and they both run really well (Mac can linger from time to time but not as bad as you defined).

It's more than likely a driver issue. The early 2600's had horrible dealings with this game, both due to CIDER port and especially piss poor graphics drivers but it's much better now.

I hope your problem is fixed soon.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Went to nvidia site and there seems to be no area for support - they just link to manufacturer selling cards and apple isn't even listed.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Went to nvidia site and there seems to be no area for support - they just link to manufacturer selling cards and apple isn't even listed.

Did you send a ticket to EA as well?

Were you playing windowed or full screen?

What were your graphics settings?

Did you enable the FPS to show?

Did you change/enable resizing of the game to widescreen?

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Did you send a ticket to EA as well?

Were you playing windowed or full screen?

What were your graphics settings?

Did you enable the FPS to show?

Did you change/enable resizing of the game to widescreen?

No ticket - I'll try that

Always full screen

Graphic settings were 1024x768 with everything on high except 2x AA (that is what ran fine on my 1900XT)

I edited the config file to say FPS 1 but nothing showed up when I ran it next

My monitor is not widescreen, so can't do that.

Basically I just installed the 8800 and then next time I ran the game it was dog slow, whereas with the 1900 it was perfectly playable.

1024x768 the thing should be not even breaking a sweat!

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
1024x768 the thing should be not even breaking a sweat!

I agree, I run mine at either 1920x1200(FS) or 1344x840(windowed) and it runs just fine.

Must be a driver for the card is bad. Did you make sure no other processes were running or at least very minimal processes were running while playing?

Just a thought :/

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I agree, I run mine at either 1920x1200(FS) or 1344x840(windowed) and it runs just fine.

Must be a driver for the card is bad. Did you make sure no other processes were running or at least very minimal processes were running while playing?

Just a thought :/

Are you saying you're running the 8800 at that resolution on bf2142? Or different game?

No other processes running.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Are you saying you're running the 8800 at that resolution on bf2142? Or different game?

No other processes running.

No, I'm saying if I can run it at those resolutions on an iMac with a 2600xt you should have ABSOLUTELY no problem running it at 1024x768.

Doesn't make sense. Has to be a driver issue.

Back when we were having driver issues (on the alum iMac ATI2600xt) EA gave us more information than Apple did, so maybe getting EA and/or DICE and/or Transgaming involved might shed some light or in fact speed things up.

We all know how Apple doesn't like to share info but the people at EA had told me one time (probs with our iMacs) that they (ATI/Apple/EA) knew about the issue and are working on a new driver.

So I hope you get some info and help on this. Definitely send EA a ticket, and others if need be. THe more visibility on this the better.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
Isn't the 8800 not officially supported by cider or EA or even Aspyr?

Based on what I've been reading, for now at least, you need to run the card in bootcamp to really see it shine...

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
There's absolutely no chance that the game has dumped a config file somewhere saying it's running on an ATI card, thus not using the 8000 properly, is there? Just seems crazy that this is slow!

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Isn't the 8800 not officially supported by cider or EA or even Aspyr?

Based on what I've been reading, for now at least, you need to run the card in bootcamp to really see it shine...

This is why I asked if EA was sent a ticket. They could confirm that either the card isn't supported or bad drivers.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Anybody else with experience - I was trying again last night and it was so bad I had to just play commander.

I also note a lot of artifacts - I see the "hand" movement on the right side when carrying a weapon in dark blue and ghosting there.

I thought this game was pretty popular on Mac and was hoping to get some feedback as to whether this is universal iwth the upgrade, or maybe I have a bad card.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Had a beach ball freeze today. Lost 45 min of photoshop work.

Card yanked, it's going back. ATI1900XT back in position. Will wait until I upgrade awhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.