Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
I am thinking of buying an iPod for someone I know that has a pc laptop, but they do not have firewire or usb2 built in. There are not any problems with using a firewire PC card to connect the iPod are there? THe only reason I ask is because when i bought my 1G iPod i was using a laptop without built in firewire and it was a problem. Also, how does the pc card connection affect the transfer speed?

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i have a pc firewire card and it works fine with my 3G ipod
transfer speeds could be faster though, don't know whether it's because i bought a cheap card or that my computer just is slow overall

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
The speeds are not unbearably slow though, right? I expect that they will be slower, but as long as it doesn't mean the speed is cut in half its fine.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
well, the Mini PCI slots within a laptop connect directly to the laptop's PCI bridge. So, essentially, it works exactly the same as if it was a desktop and you plugged in a firewire PCI card. Sometimes the mini PCI cant supply enough power and the card requires an AC supplement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.