Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
When .dmg files extract themselves, my computer is giving them the wrong icon. It should be giving the temporary drive that white drive icon, but it is not. How do i fix it?!

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
isn't there a way you can set the overall file handling?

and does your computer just give them the wrong icon? or does it then change the program that opens the document?

on a related note... i accidentally changed my FCP icon to some crappy folder. but the icon in the toolbar for FCP is the same as normal. i'm guessing the icons in the dock are stored in a seperate location?

does anyone know how i can find my proper icon?

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
I have seen a little icon wackiness in Panther myself. For some reason, random apps listed in Recent Items will temporarily have an iPod icon instead of their proper icon. Eventually, they change back to normal.

As for the FCP icon problem, I have no idea where the dock icons are stored, but you should just ask someone who has FCP (I don't or I would do it myself) to copy the icon to a folder and email you the folder. Then you should be able to copy the icon from the folder back to the app.

As for Chaszmyr's problem, CandyBar will give you the ability to set a default icon for the mounted drives, and some people have posted collections of Apple's default icons online, so you ought to be able to find the original mounted drive icon somewhere like resexcellence, macmonkies, or xicons.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
I fuond an easy fix... Just open "Get Info" and delete the icon and it goes back to the default... I had to do it to a couple different icons for it to stick, but it seems fine now

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
I fuond an easy fix... Just open "Get Info" and delete the icon and it goes back to the default... I had to do it to a couple different icons for it to stick, but it seems fine now

The loud piercing sound you heard was me slapping my forehead with embarrassed shame. How obvious. Well, glad it worked.

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
I have the same problems as described over, and doing the delete trick fixes it. The thing is that it´s so damned annoying! MP3s having Toast icons, JPEGs having Virtual PC icons etc. etc. Is there any way to make this stop permanently? Anyone?

-KJ

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
I just saw a post on this somewhere else (maybe it was you, and if so, you've already heard this). Try repairing your permissions.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i've been seeing this icon error a lot recently in panther. after a while it just seems to associate files with the wrong applications. restart usually fixes any errors with this, but apple should really get on fixing that little bug.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by cb911
on a related note... i accidentally changed my FCP icon to some crappy folder. but the icon in the toolbar for FCP is the same as normal. i'm guessing the icons in the dock are stored in a seperate location?

does anyone know how i can find my proper icon?

Items in the dock are actually aliases of the original item so they can have they're own icon and name.

Thom_Edwards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2003
i've had the strange icon problem for quite some time since panther. i also sometimes get a completely random sound that you would get when you removed something from the dock. very strange. anyway, here's the latest icon problem i've gotten...

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 177

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Awimoway
I just saw a post on this somewhere else (maybe it was you, and if so, you've already heard this). Try repairing your permissions.

That was me (the solution, not the problem). I also find that running the periodic tasks helps, if the permission repair doesn't. Type "sudo periodic dailty weekly monthly" into the Terminal.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Nermal
That was me (the solution, not the problem). I also find that running the periodic tasks helps, if the permission repair doesn't. Type "sudo periodic dailty weekly monthly" into the Terminal.

Yeah weekly tasks are very important if you don't already leave your machine on over night regularly. Rather then suggest people use the the terminal if they are uncomfortable in doing so, I would suggest they pick up a program like MacJanitor to run there nightly unix tasks. If you want a program to run the nightly tasks and repair permissions and fix prebinding then pick up a program like Onyx.

The problem I see here seems to be more deeply seeded then any of these repairs can fix but it would be worth a try. This seems more likely to be a file system problem and people should run a file system check from single user mode. If that doesn't fix it I would suggest doing an fresh 10.3 install choosing the archive install option and also chose not to copy old prefs over. It will take a while to reconfigure things and you will have to manually copy your old mailbox over but it will prevent any corrupted prefs and system hacks from being copied over.

There's also the possibility that these problems are related to some sort of system hack or finder theme changer or something else. I always recommend to not use any themeing or system hacks as they can and often do cause mysterious problems.

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
Interesting thoughts there, MacBandit.

Only trouble is that my PB is brand new, so no hacks or mumbo jumbo here. I´ve bought some apps that I needed, and I´ve installed some i downloaded. The things I have are:

Toast
Office X
Dungeon Siege
FireBird
Photoshop
Poisoned
mplayer + xvid/divx

That´s it!

-KJ

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jevel
Interesting thoughts there, MacBandit.

Only trouble is that my PB is brand new, so no hacks or mumbo jumbo here. I´ve bought some apps that I needed, and I´ve installed some i downloaded. The things I have are:

Toast
Office X
Dungeon Siege
FireBird
Photoshop
Poisoned
mplayer + xvid/divx

That´s it!

-KJ

How new is it? Maybe you have an actual hardware problem.

In any case I recommend doing a fresh install. I have had more then one bad OS install on a new machine from Apple in the past.

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
I got it 20th dec, but haven´t had time to use it much until 30th. Most apps installed from 30th to 31st.

-KJ

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by MacBandit
I would try a clean install using the options I recommended above and if that doesn't do it call Apple immediately.

Over a little icon problem? Well, I bet that would do the trick, but if it were me, I would think that's more work than it's worth.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Over a little icon problem? Well, I bet that would do the trick, but if it were me, I would think that's more work than it's worth.

Well it's a matter if you can live with it or not. Reinstalling doesn't take all that much work. The only thing that takes any work is recreating your user accounts and copying your documents and mail box over to the new user folders.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by MacBandit
The only thing that takes any work is recreating your user accounts and copying your documents and mail box over to the new user folders.

I know, but I hate doing it. I'm so meticulous that it takes me forever to get something like that done. I ordered two copies of Panther in October. When they arrived, I promptly went though the involved process to give my PowerMac a clean install. But my iBook continues to operate on Jaguar because I don't want to dedicate a Saturday to upgrading my backup computer.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I know, but I hate doing it. I'm so meticulous that it takes me forever to get something like that done. I ordered two copies of Panther in October. When they arrived, I promptly went though the involved process to give my PowerMac a clean install. But my iBook continues to operate on Jaguar because I don't want to dedicate a Saturday to upgrading my backup computer.

I agree it is a pain in the ass for those of us that have specific ways of doing things. Sometimes it is necessary though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.