Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark0429

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I am going to be coming into posession of a very old Power Mac G4 (450 mHz, I believe). All I know about it is that it runs Jaguar, and turns on.

Even though I don't really have any use for it (I have a MacBook Pro and an use an airdisk to serve up all my media) I can't turn down a free piece of hardware.

So basically, I am asking what others would do given a free machine such as this?

thanks in advance.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Psh. That's not really old. I was hoping you were gonna say you had a dual-proc PowerMac 9600 or something. Now THAT'D be worthwhile! :D

You torrent a lot? Seedbox.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Psh. That's not really old. I was hoping you were gonna say you had a dual-proc PowerMac 9600 or something. Now THAT'D be worthwhile! :D

You torrent a lot? Seedbox.

Haha, I was thinking exactly the same thing. That's only like what, 8 years old? It's not good if you want it as your main workhorse, but honestly it's a good machine. I still use my Beige G3 and wouldn't trade it for a Mac Pro. (Though if it were my main machine... I guess I might have to >_>)

As for what to do with it, give it to me =]

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I am going to be coming into posession of a very old Power Mac G4 (450 mHz, I believe). All I know about it is that it runs Jaguar, and turns on.

Even though I don't really have any use for it (I have a MacBook Pro and an use an airdisk to serve up all my media) I can't turn down a free piece of hardware.

So basically, I am asking what others would do given a free machine such as this?

thanks in advance.

Sadly, we still have people using these at work, pulled a bunch out recently.

mark0429

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I shouldn't have been as harsh about its age. I am set on a primary machine though.

I don't do much torrenting, although I had thought of that.
I'd also thought about turning it into a server, although I don't know what I would serve.

As for selling it, that's also a possibility...this+economic stimulus check should more than cover a 3g iPhone.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You can also run folding @ home (similar to SETI), and also use as a monitor-less server in the basement.

Get Intech ATA Hi-Cap Support
to allow drives >120gb.

Replace the original harddrive, and put in additional IDE drives (make sure to set jumper on the drives). Much cheaper to get internal drives than to buy external drives.

Perhaps get gigabit ethernet card and cat 5e or cat 6 cable for gigabit ethernet.

Put all your files on it, and set it up so you can access it securely remotely.

I do it with a dual G4 Quick silver, but I also have a SATA card.

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
They can be useful as remote file servers. Get SSH connection working and you have access to everything from anywhere in the world (preferably with a static IP). Or you could stick apache on it, and you've got yourself a web server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.