Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An old WinandMac article reveals that the glossy black iPhone photo first revealed by iPodObserver is simply a 3rd party "protection case" for the iPhone.

The image was revisited yesterday based on claims by Engadget that the upcoming 3G capable iPhone would indeed carry a glossy-black case. The photo, however, was just given as an example, and not claimed to be the actual 3G iPhone. So, while this does discredit the original black iPhone image, it doesn't yet provide any evidence for or against Engadget's sources.

As mentioned, Engadget does not have an established track record for original Apple rumors, but claims this information comes from a "trusted source" who has had first hand experience with one.

Article Link

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
I think we are looking for too much detail too early. It's 2 months away from release... We'll know more in a bit. Is it really worth speculating?

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
I hope its not a glossy back. I like the back on the current iPhone. Glossy would scratch more quickly than the aluminum backs on the iPods.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I think we are looking for too much detail too early. It's 2 months away from release... We'll know more in a bit. Is it really worth speculating?

I really don't know why we're going crazy for these cases... this is the 2nd main page report on a rumor that was thought to be false a month ago and doesn't show much more evidence of reality.... c'mon :mad:

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Man, I am glad this is a fake at least thus far. A glossy black back to the phone would be lame, it would show scratches and with all the current rumors about macbooks becoming aluminum, Apple should leave the phone backing aluminum.

IMHO the iphone has a sexy form factor already, I would just like more features on next phone, looks are already there. ;)

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I'm glad I was going to buy the iphone when it is updated to 3g, but I was a little put off by that picture. Now I just have to wait and see what it actually looks like.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
since when does apple or any one put the specs of your device on the case. Why would they put iPhone 8gb on a case. what if they had a 16. I think its real

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Come on 3G iPhone with black rubber case that doesn't scratch by looking at it too hard and updated keyboard software that isn't a hap-hazard as the current one...... :) PLEEEEZZZZ Apple I know you can do this the right way now that the beta testing it over.... :eek:

Come on AT&T, give me that sweet data plan that doesn't have me paying $25 more than what i pay currently for the exact same thing.... and bring on the insurance plan so that I can get my phone fixed or replaced for free or virtually nothing like ever other cell phone company.... I know that you can do it AT&T.... :eek:

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
One thing that I find interesting about it being a protection case is then why does it have the text at the bottom of the case which say "iPhone" and has the ID numbers, etc. For me that just doesn't make much sense.

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeh we already knew the image was either paint or a case. Engadget always use an image with their articles and if its a funny fake thats flying around at the minute then they just use that, no biggie.

alana22

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
Wow

Sadly Macrumors seems to be getting duped a ton lately. I'm not going to say the site is losing credibility, and granted "rumors" is in the site name, but I really don't believe anything I read here anymore :/

wonderkid

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2005
'Trusted sources', Apple strategy to weed out leakers?

Is it possible that some, not all, of these 'sources' are intentionally fed believable but (sometimes) specific (untrue or plain obvious) details on a future Apple product with the objective that Apple or one of their trusted vendors can find the work in their organisation? IE, make someone feel important by telling them ("Hey, it's black, thicker and got GPS"). As Apple/their vendor have specifically leaked this information to a specific individual (who may be under NDA), they will then know who the individual is because only ONE person was 'leaked' those three characteristics. (Black, Thicker, GPS). This could be what doomed Think Secret re the Asteroid leak. IE, it may have been a fake project leaked intentionally to a specific (trusted) individual, who broke that trust and was tracked down because he/she was the ONLY one guided into the trap. (This is similar to newspapers/publishers that sometimes make hard to spot typos in complex country names to entrap copycat journalists/writers.) BTW, I will be surprised if Apple have not radically overhauled the iPhone. To make it in Europe it will need a lot more functionality, including an FM Radio with RDS, Stereo Bluetooth (I use it on my Sony Ericsson K800i every day), an optional clipon and fold out mechanical QWERTY keyboard, an auto-focus camera with a flash - and most importantly, a removeable battery. Else why not just get an LG Secret? (The spec if not too shaby. Not a smartphone, but syncs with a PC and has a great feature set for it's size.)

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
I'm hoping it will have a black matte case (like the front of a black iPod) so it would be completely black all around.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Sadly Macrumors seems to be getting duped a ton lately. I'm not going to say the site is losing credibility, and granted "rumors" is in the site name, but I really don't believe anything I read here anymore :/

I'm glad you don't believe everything you read here. Things are posted with all available evidence available, and you are supposed to come to your own conclusion.

For this photo, we originally said:
"Leaked" photos rarely turn out to be legitimate, but this one has already generated a lengthy debate in our forums. Due to the attention it has received, we are posting this for interest alone, and do not necessarily believe it represents a true leak.

Unlike what people seem to think, Page 1 doesn't mean "true". Page 1 means "interesting". And we qualify believability in the actual text.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Whoa, interesting turn. But I still hope the iPhone isn't any thicker, since I'm coming from a iPT, and it is way thinner than the iPhone.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Strange that apple is nt ging after them fr the Apple logo.

We all knw that for better reception, the 3G, GPS, and 802.11n will need a large area that is non-metalic.

This is like the 3rd "Black" back we seen. So a lot of people like Black or some people have seen the real animal and are using photoshop to provide a representation of what they seen.

I do beleive the back will be non-metalic and black.

We will knw for sure in a few weeks.

PS. If missing some "o"s it is because I am having truble with that key in my PB G4 15". Sometimes it registers and some it don't. Getting old like me.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
information comes from a "trusted source" who has had first hand experience with one.

Their trusted source my have had first hand experience with one, but that doesn't mean that is what Steve is going to give us.

How soon we forget that there were several different versions of the original iPhone out there before it was released to throw everyone off, to Kevin Rose's embarrassment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.