PDA

View Full Version : macs and rotting grapes

jefhatfield
May 8, 2002, 11:07 AM
french (bordeaux)
opus one (a little overpriced though)
aloixe corton (a great burgundy but hard to find but not too expensive)

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 11:20 AM
Ah, you beat me to it. I was going to post one last night but didn't get around to it.

I'm personally in to red, Zins right now, but a good Merlot is always nice too. Not really a heavy Cab guy, I prefer the lighter, fruitier, spicey side of wines. The earthy ones I'll do only on occassion.

If you ever travel in Italy and happen to find yourself in the Cinque Terre (on the west coast near Pisa). They have a local dessert wine that you can't get anywhere else. Its like a white version of Port, but with a slight apple flavor, totally unbelievable. I brought 6 bottles home with me and the last one was painful to see go. And I'm not much of a dessert wine drinker, having port only once in a while. Its not overly sweet and you serve it chilled. I can't remember how to spell it, but here's a go - Scacciatra, or something like that.

Hemingray
May 8, 2002, 11:23 AM
Here's a shameless plug: :D

http://www.closetwino.com/winowear/index.html

eyelikeart
May 8, 2002, 11:23 AM
first off....I'm a big Cabernet fan...

My favorite is an decently priced brand called Blackstone...actually I was able to visit the winery when I was in California this past October...

I also like Penfolds...Australian....they make a killer Cabernet/Shiraz...

I like many Chianti's...no specific brands...I honestly do not pay too much attention to them. There is one region I'm stuck on most but I cannot remember the name for the life of me...

Ports....desert wines...I've grown accustomed to not quite liking the "raisin-like" quality of some...I like a deeper...fuller flavor...

There's also a cheap table wine that is incredibly good called Les Violettes...a French Rhone region...

Also while in California...we visited the Korbel & Kendal Jackson wineries. Korbel makes the most incredible Port I've ever tasted...tasted like liquid chocolate!! and the Jackson winery had a few nice reds....bought a great bottle of '97 Cab there...

jefhatfield
May 8, 2002, 11:25 AM
i almost forgot...italy

for everyday inexpensive wine, chianti is my favorite...i used to do model boat building with my buddy and we drank chianti, but too much made our skills go to pot

:D

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 11:38 AM
On my trip to Italy a couple of years ago, I brought 12 bottles back with me on the plane (6 where the Cinque Terre stuff) the other 6 were different chiantis. I also bought another case of assorted ciantis and sangiovanes in Sienna and had the wine merchant ship them-and it was still cheaper than buying it here.

I went mostly for the Red Rooster - the Italian seal of approval for chiantis. If you're ever in doubt about one, try a Red Rooster labeled (around the neck of the bottle). They might cost a little more, about $5 more, but its worth it.

Some of my faves
Diovole
SanFelice
Coutobuono

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2002, 12:08 PM
Well, since I'm not as old as you guys (:p ) I haven't had as much time to develop favorites, but I can tell a good one from a bad.

My tastes run more to the French stuff. American wines are too sweet and fruity, and would be considered dessert wines in France.

White, red...whatever goes best with the meal...

mischief
May 8, 2002, 01:05 PM
Chianti is the only ed I can get away with. Any other and I get a nasty Migraine.

A particularly nice Pinot Grigio
Anything by Bonny Doon Vinyards
Dom or Cuvee, Mumm in a pinch.
Some decent Rhine wines and Portugese imports.

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 02:00 PM
i'm partial to reds-merlots and chiantis. i don't have any favorites, still playing the field. sampled a bunch in italy but chose to bring back cuban cigars instead....

champers: vueve cliquot rules. a nebber of that and i'm a happy man.:D

eyelikeart
May 8, 2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by mischief
Chianti is the only ed I can get away with. Any other and I get a nasty Migraine.

allergic to sulfites are we? :eek:

mischief
May 8, 2002, 02:20 PM
That's a lightshow I could do without.:D

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 02:28 PM
1963 Rothschild.....

Love Opus One, but I agree, it is a little overpriced.

Taft
May 8, 2002, 02:42 PM
Riojas are my current favs. Though there are some regions in Spain nearby with great wine. There is one by the Tiofilo Reyes vinyard (I don't remember the region) that is an outstanding wine for around 22 bucks. Not bad.

I'm also very into vintage Port. Fonseco makes some servicable Ports. I also like Warre Ports. I like the vintages between 80 and 87 best. Nice and tawny and tons of flavor, but not as tawny as a Sherry or non-vintage port.

But I'm on a beer kick right now, so I'm not drinking much wine.

Taft

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Taft

I'm also very into vintage Port. Fonseco makes some servicable Ports. I also like Warre Ports. I like the vintages between 80 and 87 best. Nice and tawny and tons of flavor, but not as tawny as a Sherry or non-vintage port.

My old housemate went to Portugal several years ago and brought back a bottle of vintage port, black bottle with white paint stencilled label. It was the best damn stuff I ever had, I've not been able to find anything like it here, but then again, I'm not will to spend $100 on a bottle. Maybe someday I'll get to Portugal and find it again. He only spent about $15, its amazing how much difference the Atlantic Ocean and US Taxes can make....

Taft
May 8, 2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

He only spent about $15, its amazing how much difference the Atlantic Ocean and US Taxes can make....

Yeah, no kidding.

When I backpacked through Europe (on a tight post-college budget, mind you), I had some of the most tasty wines I'd ever experienced. And they were all dirt cheap!!! It was great to have that kind of selection and value.

The funniest thing about it was that they'd sell Napa valley and other American wines for much more than the stuff from Europe. You'd see a relatively cheap (and unexciting) bottle of American wine sitting next to a great bottle of Italian wine and it would cost wayyyy more. Crazy.

Taft

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 12:10 PM
last night I had the pleasure of half a bottle of Blackstone Merlot...

Cabernet is my favorite...the but Merlot is still tastey :D

strider42
May 10, 2002, 12:27 PM
Justin Vineyard's, from the Napa Valley, Cabernet is really, really good. Not too badly priced either at about 25 bucks a bottle. Probably my favorite of the ones I've tried so far.

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 12:36 PM
I found a Rodney Strong Old Vine Zin that blew me away. I haven't been able to find it again anywhere, which is too bad. Most of the Rodney Strong wines are more mass produced and end up in Safeway or Giant (the local grocery stores), this was one of their smaller batches. But still, I need to find it somewhere, if anyone knows, tell me, I'd get it shipped if I have to.

eyelikeart
May 10, 2002, 12:43 PM
I found a Rodney Strong Old Vine Zin that blew me away. I haven't been able to find it again anywhere, which is too bad. Most of the Rodney Strong wines are more mass produced and end up in Safeway or Giant (the local grocery stores), this was one of their smaller batches. But still, I need to find it somewhere, if anyone knows, tell me, I'd get it shipped if I have to.

Rodney Strong is available around here....I can check it out for u...

was it a specific year??

Zin is ok...I just prefer fuller bodied wines...the bolder the better...he he he :D

3rdpath
May 10, 2002, 12:57 PM
has anyone visited the Copia center in Napa yet?
( officially, the american center for wine, food and the arts...)
i've read mixed reviews of the place but they've all been from rather high-brow vino reviewers. just thought i'd ask since many mr members are from northern cali.

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

Rodney Strong is available around here....I can check it out for u...

was it a specific year??

Zin is ok...I just prefer fuller bodied wines...the bolder the better...he he he :D

1999 would be good. The 2000's won't be out yet. Let me know. Thanks eye!!

jefhatfield
May 10, 2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by mischief

A particularly nice Pinot Grigio
Anything by Bonny Doon Vinyards
Dom or Cuvee, Mumm in a pinch.
Some decent Rhine wines and Portugese imports.

bonny doon! i tried a bottle...excellent

Beej
May 10, 2002, 11:03 PM
I think my taste buds need a little more time to mature... I'm not a big wine fan at all. I can only drink crisp whites.

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 11:06 PM
But Australia's got some great vino. Try a fruity red from the Barrosa Valley (not sure exactly sure where) but I've had a few different ones here in the states and I've been really happy. I'm sure they're also much cheaper at home, I'm envious.

Beej
May 11, 2002, 12:49 AM
But Australia's got some great vino. Try a fruity red from the Barrosa Valley (not sure exactly sure where) but I've had a few different ones here in the states and I've been really happy. I'm sure they're also much cheaper at home, I'm envious. My family used to grow grapes (and a heap of other fruits) when we lived in Mildura. Chances of you having ever heard of that place are rather slim (ok, so they're actually 0) but if you ever get the chance to try a wine from Lindemans Winery, think of me. Our grapes used to go there.

Lindemans Bin 65 is good, and if you ever see one of their wines, that will be it.

Barossa Valley is a beautiful part of the world. It's in South Australia (the state next door) and you're right, their wines are cheap here. I bet I'm paying 1/5th of what you guys would! :p

I remember when I was younger and my family were still sending grapes to Lindemans, I went with my family to Western Australia (the other side of Australia to where I am). We were on a rive cruise or something, and the only wines they had were from (you guessed it) Lindemans - a winery 3000km away and right where we had came from! All my parents wanted to do was taste som local stuff... but all they could get was stuff from home. I guess that's what happens when you make good wine. :)

desmosedici
May 11, 2002, 03:02 AM
mr. dukestreet, keep a look out for any red from the margret river region of western australia. could be expensive round your way. but worth it.

jefhatfield
May 13, 2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Taft

The funniest thing about it was that they'd sell Napa valley and other American wines for much more than the stuff from Europe. You'd see a relatively cheap (and unexciting) bottle of American wine sitting next to a great bottle of Italian wine and it would cost wayyyy more. Crazy.

Taft

i saw that in the english countryside and i was shocked...it cost more than the french wine

MacAztec
May 13, 2002, 11:35 PM
Yea, I am a farming family also. Grapes to be exact.

In about May, we start harvesting in Mecca/Coachella (about 30 minutes from Palm Springs, next to the Salt Lake). I love it out there! We grow Jades, and Flames.

Now up North, in Delano (next to Bakersfield) we have a few more ranches. About 400 acres to be exact (overall). Growin' some Globes up there, picking late June and early July.

Just thought I would let yall know!

eyelikeart
May 14, 2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by MacAztec
Yea, I am a farming family also. Grapes to be exact.

In about May, we start harvesting in Mecca/Coachella (about 30 minutes from Palm Springs, next to the Salt Lake). I love it out there! We grow Jades, and Flames.

Now up North, in Delano (next to Bakersfield) we have a few more ranches. About 400 acres to be exact (overall). Growin' some Globes up there, picking late June and early July.

Just thought I would let yall know!

hey dude...I had no idea your family did that?! What are they doing specifically with them?