anchor steam
eku 28
samuel adams triple bock
chimay ales

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 11:32 AM
Guiness and Bass
A local microbrew, Dog Fish Head Ale's Raisin D'etre
An occassional Paulaner Heffewiessen (how do you spell that?)

eyelikeart
May 8, 2002, 11:33 AM
hmm...I'm not much of a beer drinker...

but here's what I'll have every now & then...

Heineken...Corona
ever heard of a Belgium brand called "Lambec?" flavored ales...very tastey :p

there's also this beer made by our local brewery Dixie called "White Moose"...it's a white chocolate flavored beer...great dessert drink! :p

jefhatfield
May 8, 2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

yes, small 10 oz bottle with the logo of a man who looks like gandalf?:D

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

yes, small 10 oz bottle with the logo of a man who looks like gandalf?:D

No, actually your Chimay Ale is a lambec beer. Its the type or style of beer. I forgot about those, I just had a big bottle a month ago at a friends house, can't remember the name....

iGav
May 8, 2002, 12:00 PM
Newcastle Brown Ale....... oh baby...... I managed to get some of the in Fortuna Oregon when I was over there...... although the bottles were really small, no where near the size I was used to........

Not really much of an Ale man though, which can be a problem when you live in Old England!! :p :p :p

Any fans of English Ale and Stouts in Northern California should go to The Pelican Inn at Muir Beach........ it's spot on as a English Country Pub

http://www.pelicaninn.com/

Had me fooled!! :p

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2002, 12:02 PM
My tastes fall in line with jef's:

Newcastle
Guinness
Sam Adams
Killian's Irish Red
stouts, ales in the fall/winter
lagers in the summer

I like anything BUT the watered down commercial crap (MGD, Bud, Coors)

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Its not really waterdown that I don't like about those beers, its the fact that the biggest ingredient in them is rice! Not hops or barley, but rice. Yuck! That's why if you have an import or a microbrew they have so much more flavor.

I have had to resort to one now and again... its amazing how some bars and restaurants still don't carry good beer.

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Keystone Light Baby! Them lined cans and no bitter beer taste!

(Although I am being silly with the above, I prefer the commercial crap to the "big body" beers and most of the imports.)

iGav
May 8, 2002, 12:51 PM
Speaking of Bud..... I personally don't drink it.... as I don't particularly like it.... although when I was in the states last year, I tried it and it tasted so much better than the stuff they sell in the blighty.......

Mind you it's the same with Guinness.... believe me, you haven't tasted Guinness until you've drank it in Eire, it's so much better...... ;)

If I have to drink lager, than Michelob, isn't bad at all.....

Otherwise it's Strongbow all the way for me!!

mischief
May 8, 2002, 01:00 PM
Murphy's Irish Stout
Pacifico
Corona
Negro Modelo
Samuel Adams Summer Ale
Any good Heffeweizen
a number of local microbrews
Sam Adams Triple Bock
Okeefs Extra Old Stock

Geert
May 8, 2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
hmm...I'm not much of a beer drinker...

but here's what I'll have every now & then...

Heineken...Corona

there's also this beer made by our local brewery Dixie called "White Moose"...it's a white chocolate flavored beer...great dessert drink! :p

That would be Lambic. cherry flavor and stuff.
Ever tried Duvel Eye? Strong beer, but good.

Haha this is my favorite topic, welcome to belgium, land of beer and sex (that last option only if you haven't been strong on the first option)

I visited a bar not far from where I live, and they serve over 800 different beers.
We've got a lot of abbey (or how is that name, where moncics live), and they all brew there own strong beer (most of those beers when you had 2 or 3 you're screwed(see land of beer above :p).
No serious, if you drink a few of those, bet you all will have a cure for insomniac, but make sure you got a bucket next to you're bed, you'll never know!!! :D

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 01:49 PM
If you ever happen to visit DC and you're a beer fan, stop by the Brickskellar, they have more beers than any place in the area, many 100s in bottles. They publish a 16 page or so 'book' of all the beers they have in stock every month or so.

If you've got a favorite, chances are they have it, and a lot from some countries you'd never expect. I try order a beer I've never had each time I go there.

macstudent
May 8, 2002, 01:53 PM
There was a great deal at my local liquor store this past month. You could get a case of newcastle (in cans) for only $10.99! It was great.

Gelfin
May 8, 2002, 02:08 PM
I'm with jef on just about everything but the Sam Adams Triple Bock. I approve of the effort, but not of the result. It was like drinking some bizarre maple syrup liqueur. I felt like I should be having pancakes with it. This won't stop me from trying others of Sam Adams' more "fringe" brews, but that one just didn't do it for me.

eyelikeart
May 8, 2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Geert

That would be Lambic. cherry flavor and stuff.
Ever tried Duvel Eye? Strong beer, but good.

Haha this is my favorite topic, welcome to belgium, land of beer and sex (that last option only if you haven't been strong on the first option)

yes u got it....such good stuff! I really dig the cherry but most people claim it tastes like cough syrup....whatever....it's still good *****...he he he...:D

now explain more about the beer & sex?! ;) :p

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 02:58 PM
negro modelo
beck's dark
shiner bock-an "outdoor beer", gives me horrible gas.
black and tans-oh yea, baby
tsing-tao

cleo
May 8, 2002, 05:09 PM
Bass, all the way. When they set a pint of Bass down in front of you, it smells just like a fresh-baked loaf of bread. Mmmmm, tasty. Newcastle's good, too. There's also a microbrew in Ybor that has a tasty winter brew. Oh, and one in Dunedin that has this tasty raspberry stuff, but is rather difficult to find.

Coincidentally, my love for beer goes back to when I was a little tyke... I have a picture of me (at about 2) sitting on my dad's lap, him passed out, me drinking out of his can of Bud. :D

Anyone have any suggestions on books/websites that explain the brewing processes and what exactly all the different kinds of beer are? I know what I like, but it would be nice to be able to discuss it in more sophisticated terms. :D

Taft
May 8, 2002, 05:40 PM
Wheat beers are some of my favorites.

Hacker Pschorr Hefe Weisse is great. Drink with lemon. Mmmm lemon.

Guinness is a fav too.

Taft

gerror
May 9, 2002, 03:26 AM
Amstel, for the regular night out with some corona's at the end
Palm
Chouffe
Bock in general, Heineken tarwebock is the favorite

People who visit Holland: Don't ever take a Oranjeboom. It gives you a headache the same night and it tasts like your cat's piss

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by gerror
Amstel, for the regular night out

Amstel is great. Now for you guys in the states, I'm not talking about Amstel Light, I'm talking the real Amstel. I had this when I was Greece way back in the late 80s and absolutely loved it. But back then we hadn't gone through the micro brew revolution, but still. I'd love to get my hands on some real Amstel. http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/beer.gif

Does anyone know if you can get it State side? I've not been able to find it anywhere.

mischief
May 9, 2002, 06:31 PM
McEwans Scottish Ale

Okeefs xtra Old stock. A Canadian brew that the US won't import even as a Malt liquor.:eek:

jefhatfield
May 10, 2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Gelfin
I'm with jef on just about everything but the Sam Adams Triple Bock. I approve of the effort, but not of the result. It was like drinking some bizarre maple syrup liqueur. I felt like I should be having pancakes with it. This won't stop me from trying others of Sam Adams' more "fringe" brews, but that one just didn't do it for me.

triple bock is very strange indeed and jagermeister is another one of those odd "do i need pancakes" drinks

triple bock and jagermeister are also like cough syrups:p

Mr. Anderson
May 10, 2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
triple bock and jagermeister are also like cough syrups:p

I was out at the beach in Dewey, DE two weeks ago and someone there made me try his new favorite drink. It was very weird, didn't taste all that good, mostly like real cough syrup.

RedBull and Jagermeisterhttp://www.dukestreet.com/AS/scream.gif

<shudder>