PDA

View Full Version : what is your handle about?

jefhatfield
May 8, 2002, 11:57 AM
jefhatfield is not my real name but jef and hatfield are two of the characters my friend and i came up with for a comedy tape

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 12:01 PM
I use to live on Duke St. when I first moved to Old Town. Then I went and got www.dukestreet.com so I've used dukestreet in most of my online signins. I'll be changing my name in this forum in a couple of months though.

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2002, 12:04 PM
Well...

I rowed in college, hence "Rower"...

and since I'm into computers, and I consider myself a brainiac :rolleyes: "CPU"

iGav
May 8, 2002, 12:06 PM
iGAV is almost my real name...... i = internet.... come on.... I had to jump on the internet i bandwagon......... (feel free to use, idiot or ignoramous) GAV = my name Gavin...... simplicity itself....

iGav
May 8, 2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Well...

I like rowing........ :D although I've never had the pleasure of being on the water only in gyms...... :rolleyes: :( :p

britboy
May 8, 2002, 12:11 PM
A couple of years ago i spent a 9 months at a language school in austria (not australia :p) to learn german. From around 200 students, i was only british person. When it came to choosing login names for the network, britboy just seemed appropriate :) It's kind of stuck since then.

jefhatfield
May 8, 2002, 12:11 PM
Well...

cool, what school?

when i caught onto the rowing bug, i was already graduated...but if i could row around where i live, i would choose stanford...i don't know of any other schools with a crew in no. california

when i was visiting stanford, they were loading the boat on a truck and they almost dropped it but i ran up and caught it and helped them put it up...that is the closest i have ever got to a boat

when i was an exchange student in england i was cambridge or oxford and it was a sight to behold

is rowing only an elite private college sport? because i never see anything like that at the public colleges around california like san jose state or berkeley

and would they ever consider a crew for grad students or older students?

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2002, 12:23 PM
iGAV-
I like rowing........ although I've never had the pleasure of being on the water only in gyms......

You absolutely must try it out on the water! It feels so much different...and the ergs just suck after awhile. :p

jefhatfield-
cool, what school?

when i caught onto the rowing bug, i was already graduated...but if i could row around where i live, i would choose stanford...i don't know of any other schools with a crew in no. california

when i was visiting stanford, they were loading the boat on a truck and they almost dropped it but i ran up and caught it and helped them put it up...that is the closest i have ever got to a boat

when i was an exchange student in england i was cambridge or oxford and it was a sight to behold

is rowing only an elite private college sport? because i never see anything like that at the public colleges around california like san jose state or berkeley

and would they ever consider a crew for grad students or older students?

San Diego State University, where I work now, and where I'm graduating from next week (:D :D :D !!!).

Our Men's crew is technically a club sport, even though we competed with Cal, Stanford, Harvard etc at certain regattas. Our Women's team is NCAA DI because of the whole TitleIX thing.

Other norCal schools...UC Davis, Sac State, Humboldt State, Cal, Stanford...there may be more, but those are the only ones that come to mind right now.

Cal is the defending national champs for like a million years or something...they recruit european rowers that have 15 years experience or some crazy thing like that.

If you really want to get into it, age is not a limiting factor. We have guys down here that are in their 70s and still get out on the bay every morning. You should check with a local aquatic center or boathouse and see about lessons.

I can't believe that Stanford almost dropped a boat...those things cost as much as cars...:rolleyes:

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 12:23 PM
i think mine's self explanatory, don't you think?

the ironic twist though... i don't drink. oh well. guess i'm missing out on something. ha

jefhatfield
May 8, 2002, 12:31 PM
iGAV-

You absolutely must try it out on the water! It feels so much different...and the ergs just suck after awhile. :p

jefhatfield-

San Diego State University, where I work now, and where I'm graduating from next week (:D :D :D !!!).

Our Men's crew is technically a club sport, even though we competed with Cal, Stanford, Harvard etc at certain regattas. Our Women's team is NCAA DI because of the whole TitleIX thing.

so there is a school i can AFFORD that has a rowing team!

but i graduated many years ago so i am most likely ineligible for college sports...i know this one guy with a restaurant who changed his name many times and has something like a 20 year college football career...he finally got caught but they did a huge story on him in the local paper and his sports bar has the biggest paraphanalia one can imagine...he he

congrats on finishing school

Geert
May 8, 2002, 12:31 PM
Geert is pretty obvious I guess, that is my real name.
When I registered here on MR, I thought that you're login name was only to log in, and that I could choose a nickname once I signed in.

I'm thinking of changing it when I reach 500. already have the first 'tar ready :D

Probably change it in 'kriek' which is short for my last name, and also my nickname.

AlphaTech
May 8, 2002, 12:32 PM
For the company site I work at, I am the lead tech (lead=alpha, as in alpha dog :D )... you can figure the rest.

pc_convert?
May 8, 2002, 12:35 PM
I always admired Apple computers but was put off the higher cost and the lack of memory protection in OS 9.

When OS X came out I considered a Mac as a serious contender for my next computer. Seeing as I'm currently a pc user and I was thinking about buying a Mac I considered myself a "pc_convert?"

I suppose I should drop the question mark now because I'll buy a Mac after I finish my finals.

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 12:45 PM
My first name starts with an M. Also, I didn't want to use the screenname I usually use.

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 01:18 PM
3rdpath is a economic mindset much like downshifting.

in it's broadest sense it means choosing to have less regardless of income.

a cheaper home, an older car, less fancy clothes-etc. its a way of stepping away from the rat race and taking control over your time-which i think is life's most precious resource.

it was not an easy transition but i could see the long term implications: no amount of money is ever enough.

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 01:46 PM
re: the new satan/bill avatar...i just peeed myself:D

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 01:48 PM
Well, I started working with Mac's in 1985. I switched to PC's in 92 and stayed there until 99. I came over, but just briefly because the wife had to run AutoCad for school, and VPC did not cut it. So, sold the Macs, and went back to PC's. Now VPC will handle AutoCad, so hence the name Backtothemac :cool:

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
re: the new satan/bill avatar...i just peeed myself:D

Oh that one is good, ha, I just don't think he lingers enough in the devil form.....

macstudent
May 8, 2002, 01:59 PM
I am currently a college student at UW - Milwaukee, and this summer I will be buying my first mac after macworld. I have been using macs for years, but it has only been in computer labs and limited use at peoples houses. Therefore I feel I am still learning when it comes to macs and their inner workings. I can't wait to dive into OS X and really learn the ins on this great new operatings system.

Although if the only thing we see at macworld this summer is a minor bump to the g4's I will wait til Jan. If I am going to buy a new mac I would hope it has decent Ram. Maybe I will be able to even get a g5 (doubt it will be out, but I hope so)

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Oh that one is good, ha, I just don't think he lingers enough in the devil form.....

Agreed, but I'm still new at this...

Just made it worse...

Taft
May 8, 2002, 02:06 PM
Its a nickname I received in college. Friends started calling me Taft because of a character on the Tick TV show. I started using it often and it just took.

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 02:13 PM
I give up... I ruined my Bill Gates avatar... :(

britboy
May 8, 2002, 02:25 PM
I think you could do with slowing the scales down a little. Possibly a lighter background?

eyelikeart
May 8, 2002, 02:30 PM
it's purely self-explanatory...he he he...:p

basically....I was choosing a new screen name for AOL about 5 years ago....and I wanted it to make a statement of some sort about my love for art....

so after some tries....I came up with "eyelikeart"....

I've gotten pretty lucky thus far....as anytime I register anything on the net...the handle is always available...he he he :D

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by britboy
I think you could do with slowing the scales down a little. Possibly a lighter background?

Hey mcrain, I think you need to slow things down a bit too. What happened to Bill the Devil? No backup copy? That sucks. If you need help, let me know.

britboy
May 8, 2002, 02:54 PM
Mcrain, how's about this? Sorry, i haven't put much work in, but....

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2002, 03:05 PM
Was this the devil one?

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2002, 03:06 PM
This one's cool too, but too large:

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2002, 03:06 PM
Or, if you're less violence prone:

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 03:12 PM
Thanks Britboy. I went with your scales. Although I thought Bill Gates as the devil was funny, I just can't stand to see him. Thanks again for the scales.

voicegy
May 8, 2002, 03:31 PM
Geesh, you guys always come up with the neatest topics to jabber on about. (and the bonus of those horrific pics by Rower is just icing on the cake!)

voicegy:

Well, "voice guy" didn't fit on my license plate, so I had to drop the "u". In addition to being in EdTech for San Diego City Schools, I do voice over work (commercials, interactive cd-roms, videos) through my agent, Shamon Freitas. If any of you are REALLY bored, you can hear me under Voice Talent, Male, Scott Kovacik. They use Real Audio (*ICK*) so you'll have to have that installed.

Shamon Freitas is a full service talent agency...which means they have lots of pics of beautiful local models. (but I know you're all going over there right now just to hear me...I just know it....)

palala
May 8, 2002, 03:44 PM
The movie Medicine Man. Sean Connery has a local assistant named Palala. Always thought it was a cool name, so I always use it. Not too many people have it registered on the net, and rarely does anyone know where its from. I of course have my hard drive named Palala also. There were two other main characters, which my two other hard drives are named after...Jahousa (pronounced JA-HOUSE-UH) and Kalana.

Ensign Paris
May 8, 2002, 03:45 PM
Its all from Star Trek for me, its basicly Tom Paris who was an Ensign when I started to like forums. It all started at ambrosiasw.coms forums.

Ensign

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 03:48 PM
Hey Dukestreet. Do you think there is any way to get this image down to fit within the avatar size restrictions?

palala
May 8, 2002, 03:56 PM
OK, obviously you are a Voyager fan, but are you referring to Ensign Paris as the guy that was rooming with Wes Crusher at the acedemy, or was Paris an ensign when he started on Voyager? I don't remember on Voyager at what rank he started. Wes' roommate on TNG at the acedemy was played by Robert Duncan McNeill, but I think he was a different character.

britboy
May 8, 2002, 04:08 PM
mcrain, that is just wicked :p

LimeiBook86
May 8, 2002, 04:14 PM
Well I have a Apple Key Lime iBook (FireWire, DVD, 466mhz) I just type din any numbers...... :) I love my iBook and think the new ones need more color!

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 04:20 PM
Thanks Britboy. You're my new hero.

I am Taxman, hear me roar!

ejb190
May 8, 2002, 04:32 PM
Don't you love university assigned e-mail accounts? Penn State uses your initials and a (seemingly) random number. I find that it is available on most systems (except for the ones I regestered on and forgot my account information...). I have never found anything better, so I kept using it!

Eric

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by ejb190
Penn State

Did you say Penn State? Oh, man, I'm sorry. Did your parents make you go there? Wow, that's just too bad, I feel really sorry for you.

M Go Blue!!! Go Michigan!
Hail to the Victors!

gerror
May 9, 2002, 03:55 AM
Gerror comes from my first name Gerrie. A friend named me Gerror once, as in error or terror, I still don't know ;)
I'm using it for a couple of years now

krossfyter
May 9, 2002, 04:37 AM
Im all about fighting my sinful nature to be more like Jesus. More humble, more caring, more of a servant (need help on that one), more honest, more righteous. NOT RELIGIOUS. NOT CHURCHY.

just a faliable human trying to do whats right.

and so cross fighter came up and then i tweeked it to make it more personable and interesting....hence kross ...with a k... and fighter changed to fyter...the way it sounds.

ive stuck with it since i made it for myself two years ago.

ive been tempted to change my name ...but ive had this too long and im afraid if i do i will have to basically re invent my online self..which takes a long time.

Beej
May 9, 2002, 04:39 AM
My initials are BJK, so I used to get BJ. But Australians, being a particularly lazy bunch of people (especially when it comes to language) tend to find two-syllable names are too long. :)

So I get called 'Beej,' a shortened version of BJ, which is a shortened version of BJK, which is a shortened version of my name.

"Beej" is not pronounced "Bee Gee" like some people think. I have no idea why they think that, but I get it a lot.

...and then there's the story about this new friend I made. He kinda joined my group of friends at Uni, and one day, after about 3 or 4 months, he asked why everyone always called me "bitch" (they weren't - they were calling me "Beej" in a lazy Australian dialect). He he... :D

krossfyter
May 9, 2002, 04:42 AM
hey beej whos that in your avatar?

mac15
May 9, 2002, 04:45 AM
Well MAC15 is from my last name
its McElligott so I took the MAC and about the 15 well it sounded cool
I was going to change it to MAC15X but I keep it mac15 for know

mcrain
May 9, 2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter
hey beej whos that in your avatar?

Dawn somebody or other from one of the UPN shows. It's a follow up from the hardcore prawn, hardcore fawn and hardcore corn series.

GeeYouEye
May 9, 2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by palala
OK, obviously you are a Voyager fan, but are you referring to Ensign Paris as the guy that was rooming with Wes Crusher at the acedemy, or was Paris an ensign when he started on Voyager? I don't remember on Voyager at what rank he started. Wes' roommate on TNG at the acedemy was played by Robert Duncan McNeill, but I think he was a different character.

Correct. The guy in that TNG episode was played by Robert Duncan McNeil, but he wasn't supposed to be Paris. His name in that episode was Nick Locarno, IIRC.

As for the username, I just came up with it. And no, it was not inspired by eyelikeart.

ejb190
May 9, 2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by mcrain

Did you say Penn State? Oh, man, I'm sorry. Did your parents make you go there? Wow, that's just too bad, I feel really sorry for you.

Well, it was Penn State or Michigan State for my Masters. UC-Davis was just too far away. My B.S. (and current job) is from Purdue University!

(Two Big Ten schools and I STILL didn't have a basketball team to root for last year!)

Originally posted by mcrain

M Go Blue!!! Go Michigan!
Hail to the Victors!

Well, nobody's perfect! :D

Eric

mcrain
May 9, 2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ejb190
My B.S. is from Purdue University!

ROTFLMAO... Hey, you said it, not me...
(You know I'm kidding of course...)

SPG
May 9, 2002, 04:30 PM
SuPerGenius. My last name is really ********* up and unpronounceable and when you look at it quick it looks like Supergenius, so when people can't pronounce it and ask how, I tell them "Just like it's spelled...Supergenius"

stromie952
May 9, 2002, 06:52 PM
Mine isn't very creative, just a nickname that caught on a couple of years ago in high school and has caught on at college too.

Kind of a derivative of my last name

Definitely better than other nicknames I've had :cool:

Beej
May 9, 2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
hey beej whos that in your avatar? Buffy's sister from Buffy the vampire slayer. I really don't like this avatar much... expect to see a new one soon...

iflyguns
May 9, 2002, 07:36 PM
I used to fly Apache attack helicopters.

mc68k
May 9, 2002, 10:53 PM
Mine's from the MC680x0 series of processors. I had one in my first Mac, and I'm into old Macs.

I've even had the priveledge *cough* of programming for the MC68000 in machine language. Can't believe they still teach that.

jefhatfield
May 9, 2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
Mine's from the MC680x0 series of processors. I had one in my first Mac, and I'm into old Macs.

I've even had the priveledge *cough* of programming for the MC68000 in machine language. Can't believe they still teach that.

check out www.apple-history.com

enjoy:D

mc68k
May 9, 2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

Thanks jef. I discovered that site back in '99 to look up the specs for my 7200 purchase.

I really enjoyed the section on the history of the GUI. Computer history is a hobby of mineó brings the whole Apple experience into perspective.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

That's a very cool site. Did a little search and came up with this

Best of the MacWeb Survey(Top 50): MacRumors rank #45

Up (yes, up) four slots from #49 in our last survey, Mac Rumors is a Slashdot-like Mac rumor site. The site has improved its score from 3.06 to 3.36 and is well known, rating as the 17th best known site in this survey (up from 22nd last time).

Best of the Rest(Didn't make it in the top 50) SpyMac#50 which puts it all the way down on the bottom

SpyMac is the lowest rated Mac rumor site in this survey, although it was ahead of AppleGossip in the last RotMW. (AppleGossip has been down for a while, so it was not included in the current survey.) The site is best known for its iWalk rumors. SpyMac improved its rating from 2.61 to 2.79.

WhooHoo!http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/bouncy.gif

jefhatfield
May 10, 2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by mc68k

Thanks jef. I discovered that site back in '99 to look up the specs for my 7200 purchase.

I really enjoyed the section on the history of the GUI. Computer history is a hobby of mineó brings the whole Apple experience into perspective.

where i live, we have a little piece of computer history in our town with gary kildall, the man who could have been the dos king, with his drinking buddies and former girlfriend as my friends...i hear the "rest of the story"...he he

and with my close proximity to apple and others, i hear the personal take and not cnn's take on the whole issue of high tech

much of what i hear from the old timers is largely forgotten with timelines and names faded into the past...my old boss helped develop arpanet, one IT client of mine helped invent the mouse with PARC, and the majority of the known IT companies around here or in texas were started by teens...apple, microsoft, dell, oracle, sun, napster, hp, etc. and the most common origin of business was either a dorm room of a college dropout or a garage...he he

i am not so much into history but everyday i actually run into or work with someone who helped start silicon valley

...but that is no big deal...it is like someone being from las vegas who works in the gambling or tourist trade:D

sturm375
May 10, 2002, 03:07 PM
sturm375

Sturm Brighblade, my favorite fictional character I read about way back in Jr. High. He is a character in the TSR DragonLance novels. He is a tragic hero that dies on page 375 of the 2nd book.

palala
May 10, 2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by sturm375
sturm375

Sturm Brighblade, my favorite fictional character I read about way back in Jr. High. He is a character in the TSR DragonLance novels. He is a tragic hero that dies on page 375 of the 2nd book.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I'm on page 368

mcrain
May 10, 2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by palala

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I'm on page 368

without a doubt the funniest thing I've read all day!! TOOOOO funny!!! ROTFLMAO