PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 to Core Duo Mac Mini - Video editing difference?

bpl323
Apr 27, 2008, 06:24 PM
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on moving from an iMac G5 (2GHz) to an Intel Mac Mini (a Duo or Core 2 Duo, not the Solo) for Final Cut Studio editing? I don't do a ton of editing (it's a hobby), but I wouldn't want too much less than what I'm getting from my G5 right now.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Luigi239
Apr 27, 2008, 07:12 PM
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on moving from an iMac G5 (2GHz) to an Intel Mac Mini (a Duo or Core 2 Duo, not the Solo) for Final Cut Studio editing? I don't do a ton of editing (it's a hobby), but I wouldn't want too much less than what I'm getting from my G5 right now.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I think it would probably be a downgrade, as the iMac has dedicated graphics, and the Mac Mini does not.

zap2
Apr 27, 2008, 07:30 PM
Well, that interesting. I love my CD mine over my G5 for things like burning DVDs, but movie editing I'd still take the mini.

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/05/23/macbook-final-cut-studio-benchmarks/

There are some MB vs MBP v vs PowerMac(dual 2.0Ghz, your is single) and the MB (against PowerMac) comes out top for 2 test, 1 ties one, and loses 1(by a very small amount)....and thats against a dual....the CD Mac Mini should offer improvement.

Eidorian
Apr 27, 2008, 07:56 PM
I've found that the Core Duo is at least twice as fast as single G5 when it comes to native applications.

zap2
Apr 27, 2008, 07:59 PM
I've found that the Core Duo is at least twice as fast as single G5 when it comes to native applications.

That how I feel, but my main app to base that off is hand brake, which has little to do with video power......but the lack of GPU doesn't seem to hurt to much in Final Cut Studio(accord to my link)

Eidorian
Apr 27, 2008, 08:00 PM
That how I feel, but my main app to base that off is hand brake, which has little to do with video power......but the lack of GPU doesn't seem to hurt to much in Final Cut Studio(accord to my link)It depends on what components of FCS you're going to be using the most. You'll suffer in the GPU department but for encoding it's a big improvement.