PDA

View Full Version : Macs and Sports


Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 12:20 PM
Yes, its another one of those threads. I've noticed that quite a few times different threads get off track and I think the single most popular off topic is sports. There are currently two threads discussing aspect of some sports that I know of.

As for me, I'm an avid Ultimate Frisbee player, I run and rollerblade. I prefer to play sports than to watch them, but it didn't keep me from going to FedEx field here in DC for the Redskins Draft Day. I was more interested in the dollar beer and dogs than anything else, but I was willing to tag along with my friends for an afternoon.

What about everyone else?

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 12:32 PM
what i play:

tennis (in high school 3 years, and now)
golf (as often as i can, senior year as well)
rollerblading (occasionally)
hockey (roller style, during high school... don't have the place and people to do it anymore. but i think it's the most fun i've had...)
basketball (for fun-played in grade school)
used to play baseball (damn that's boring)
soccer (damn i suck at it)

i watch:

nba (iverson is a thug, i love him)
nfl (redskins.... bleh)
nhl (capitals)
golf
tennis (gotta love rafter- cheers mate)

jefhatfield
May 8, 2002, 12:44 PM
track - two years in high school...220, 440, 880, mile, 2 mile, shotput, discus, 4 times 440 relay

soccor - one year high school...goalie, left wing

football - walk on at sonoma state but walked right off when i came to my senses and realized being 5'7" was not an asset:D

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 12:53 PM
I was packing and ran across an old, old high school jacket (mine). It had 9 varsity letters on the back, one on the front, one JV letter on the front, and one JV set of graduation numbers. (Wrestling, Tennis and Cross Country - 4 years)

After high school, I went to a big ten school and so had no chance at college level athletics.

Now, I play golf and am training for triathalons (bike, run, swim).

iGav
May 8, 2002, 01:08 PM
Don't really get the time to do as much sports as I would like......

However I love Mountain Biking even though I haven't got a M-bike at the moment...... love either uphill or downhill...... both suite me fine!! Big legs to go up hill, and a slightly nutty mental screw loose streak to go down hill.... (my next trip is going to be to Durango Colorado..... Oh yeah!!)

I used to love rock climbing and caving when I used to live in Yorkshire, although there aren't many mountains in London!! :( :rolleyes: :p

Enjoying the rowing machines just because I ain't that bad at rowing, but I'd love to try it on water..... according to Rower, it's much much better... so I'm gonna try and make time to try this out......

Enjoy the odd knock around with a football (soccer to the U.S guys) American Pool..... and 9 ball.

Am currently seriously considering taking up Aikido, as a pastime, I have a couple of friends that study, and it's pretty incredible........

As for watching sports....... F1... avid watcher.... big M Schumi fan, the guy is just an incredible driver.... also WRC, but that is pretty much it...... :D

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 01:15 PM
Never played anything but Baseball. When I graduated High School I was 5'7 155 lbs. After my freshman year at Alabama 6'3 220 and now 6'6 275 :cool:

I love all college sports. I am the king of person that could watch SouthWestern Kansas State school for parnoid girls play the East South Central reform school in bowling. :D

Anyway, anything college. Pro football. NBA playoffs. Golf, but by far my favorities is NASCAR. The most fun you will ever have with your clothes on. ;)

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Anyway, anything college. Pro football. NBA playoffs. Golf, but by far my favorities is NASCAR.

oh man, as much as i support the golf..... nascar?

yikes. that's just a dangerous extreme waste of our natural resources...... ahhhh. back to da mac! c'mon now! haha

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


oh man, as much as i support the golf..... nascar?

yikes. that's just a dangerous extreme waste of our natural resources...... ahhhh. back to da mac! c'mon now! haha

Come to Alabama for Talladega in the fall. You will change your mind. Hell my wife hated it when we met and now she hates the race itself, but loves the drivers. It is like Mardi Gras when they run Talladega. Two years ago there were over 175,000 people there. The cool thing about it is that it doesn't matter where they run, people pack the stands. Dover Deleware, California, Chicago, Miami, Alabama. Everyone is a little redneck at heart. ;)

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Come to Alabama for Talladega in the fall. You will change your mind. Hell my wife hated it when we met and now she hates the race itself, but loves the drivers. It is like Mardi Gras when they run Talladega. Two years ago there were over 175,000 people there. The cool thing about it is that it doesn't matter where they run, people pack the stands. Dover Deleware, California, Chicago, Miami, Alabama. Everyone is a little redneck at heart. ;)

i mean, i just can't support that. i hate people who drive SUV's when they have no need for it (eg, to and from work, by themselves).. i just do not see any point in driving around and around, when it wastes so much gas. i mean, i bet it's a grand event and everything, but the utter waste and lack of environmental concern it shows is what bugs me.

i much prefer other redneck events like bikini car washes where 35 year old hicks sit around and watch 15 year old girls in bikinis wash their cars..... yikes! this happens in my town in southern PA.... maybe if i spread the word enough we can get 175,000 out for it this year?! haha..

and then hit up 18 after. dang i want to golf.. only a few more days of waiting...

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


i mean, i just can't support that. i hate people who drive SUV's when they have no need for it (eg, to and from work, by themselves).. i just do not see any point in driving around and around, when it wastes so much gas. i mean, i bet it's a grand event and everything, but the utter waste and lack of environmental concern it shows is what bugs me.

i much prefer other redneck events like bikini car washes where 35 year old hicks sit around and watch 15 year old girls in bikinis wash their cars..... yikes! this happens in my town in southern PA.... maybe if i spread the word enough we can get 175,000 out for it this year?! haha..

and then hit up 18 after. dang i want to golf.. only a few more days of waiting...

Aw, common your starting to sound like a tree huggin liberal ;) Believe it or not a field of cows grazing will put off more dangerous emmisions that that race will. Believe me when mother nature gets tired of us, she will show us the exit door. Anyway, it is wasteful, but man it is fun. You don't realize how fast 220 miles per hour is until you see it only 25 yards from you. :D

eyelikeart
May 8, 2002, 04:28 PM
I'll have to label mine "fitness"

mountain biking (no there aren't any mountains in the south!)
weights
yoga
I really love racketball but haven't played in a while

frisbee is very fun
I've found rock climbing to be pretty challenging

I do love running but I cannot do it anymore because I have a really bad knee :(

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Aw, common your starting to sound like a tree huggin liberal ;) Believe it or not a field of cows grazing will put off more dangerous emmisions that that race will. Believe me when mother nature gets tired of us, she will show us the exit door. Anyway, it is wasteful, but man it is fun. You don't realize how fast 220 miles per hour is until you see it only 25 yards from you. :D

hehe, well guess what. we wouldn't have so many cows grazing and ****ting all over if we didn't factory farm them like crazy.... :)

as far as seeing it, like i said, i'm sure it'd be exciting. heck, so many people going. of course.. .but i can't get past the extreme waste.

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


hehe, well guess what. we wouldn't have so many cows grazing and ****ting all over if we didn't factory farm them like crazy.... :)

as far as seeing it, like i said, i'm sure it'd be exciting. heck, so many people going. of course.. .but i can't get past the extreme waste.

I respect that. Wait. You are a liberal. Quick grab the Ronald Regan liberal repellant :p :D ;)

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
I respect that. Wait. You are a liberal. Quick grab the Ronald Regan liberal repellant :p :D ;)

funny thing is, i'm not really. i'm pro-life (i don't want to get into that)... i would have voted for bush if not nader (never gore)... basically, i am not on one side or another. but i do hate the fact that it's 2 parties and corporate owned.

but aren't we talking about sports?

c'mon back to da mac, dont' drag us off topic. ha

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 04:56 PM
LOL. I understand. I actually thought the same exact thing about Nascar that you do..... until I went to a race. Now, I wouldn't care if it killed every bird in a 600 mile radius of the place, I really love it. Well, not true, because that would mean there would be no birds in Augusta. OK 5 mile radius yea, kill them all, kill them all I say!


Tounge so firmly in cheek that skin is transparent.
;)

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 04:57 PM
Remember the great video of the Lakers going to the Apple store and buying iPods ? Now that was classic.

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac LOL. I understand. I actually thought the same exact thing about Nascar that you do..... until I went to a race. Now, I wouldn't care if it killed every bird in a 600 mile radius of the place, I really love it. Well, not true, because that would mean there would be no birds in Augusta. OK 5 mile radius yea, kill them all, kill them all I say!

Tounge so firmly in cheek that skin is transparent.
;)

haha, interesting outlook on it...

don't the drunken hicks at the races scare you though? or are you..... one of them?! ha

and what's this about the lakers buying ipods...? i didn't see that...

MacAztec
May 8, 2002, 05:31 PM
Well, I like sports a whole lot. I play Football, baseball, and basketball. I know when I go into HS next year, I will be QuarterBack.

My dad, however, was even better than me. He played all the same sports, but went semi-pro in football. Played with Donny Dufek and Billy Dufek at Michigan State (Wolverines) as a QuarterBack.

He went to the Orange Bowl in 1976, but they lost 13-7 against Oklahoma. I am pretty sure if you look up Donny or Billy on Michigan's website, you will be sure to find them.

MacAztec
May 8, 2002, 05:31 PM
The link is MGoBlue.com

MacAztec
May 8, 2002, 05:36 PM
This is what pisses my dad off a lot, and the rest of the 1974-78 Michigan Wolverines. http://mgoblue.com/football/99-00/century/ac-quarterback.html

He (my dad) was telling me the other day how leech threw quite a few interceptions, fumbles, and made a few bad plays during the 76 orange bowl. Then, Bo Schembeckler told my dad to go in, and my dad flipped. I guess he had been wanting to go in the whole game, so he told Bo to ***** off, and he left the game.

Later on, the kicker missed 2 field goals to tie the game...

MacAztec
May 8, 2002, 05:37 PM
I guess the reason he got that Century Award is because his dad donated a "hefty" ammount of money to MSU back in the 70s...

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec

Michigan State (Wolverines) as a QuarterBack.


hehe, it's the michigan state spartans the michigan wolverines..... i bet mcrain woudl have your ass for this screw up... apparently he's a gung ho wolverine... ha

MacAztec
May 8, 2002, 05:42 PM
Michigan University...the WOLVERINES. They whoop the shizz out of the spartans man...

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
Michigan University...the WOLVERINES. They whoop the shizz out of the spartans man...

be that as it may, you said "michigan STATE wolverines" the first time, was just correcting that....

i'm sure some gung ho MU or MSU people would both not like that mistake

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


haha, interesting outlook on it...

don't the drunken hicks at the races scare you though? or are you..... one of them?! ha

and what's this about the lakers buying ipods...? i didn't see that...

Well, let me try this again. I posted a reply but it didn't show. Anyway, you will have all kinds there. Corporate attorney, redneck, septic tank repairmen, Dr.s Layers, Cops, IT guys :D It is always a neat mix of people.

The lakers, well, Shaq told everyone on the team that he wouldn't let them back on the bus without an iPod! It had some great video of them at the Apple store at the Mall of America

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Well, let me try this again. I posted a reply but it didn't show. Anyway, you will have all kinds there. Corporate attorney, redneck, septic tank repairmen, Dr.s Layers, Cops, IT guys :D It is always a neat mix of people.

The lakers, well, Shaq told everyone on the team that he wouldn't let them back on the bus without an iPod! It had some great video of them at the Apple store at the Mall of America

hmm... interesting mix. i'll pass though

haha. that sounds great. and there was a video of this? where?????

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


hmm... interesting mix. i'll pass though

haha. that sounds great. and there was a video of this? where?????

It was on Fox Sports. They had it on Macnn with direct links to the download.

menoinjun
May 8, 2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i much prefer other redneck events like bikini car washes where 35 year old hicks sit around and watch 15 year old girls in bikinis wash their cars..... yikes! this happens in my town in southern PA....

Southern PA? Where at? I'm in Pittsburgh at the moment.

-pete

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by ptrauber


Southern PA? Where at? I'm in Pittsburgh at the moment.

-pete

a town called waynesboro...?

it's somwhat near chambersburg and greencastle..... pretty closet to the MD border.

my dad's parents are from pittsburgh area.... brackenridge/natrona heights.

cornelius
May 8, 2002, 07:56 PM
basketball, varsity and state
track and field
tennis
mountain bike
surfing and the best of them all
sleeping