PDA

View Full Version : HELP 14" ibook screen stopped working

krypticos
Apr 28, 2008, 04:58 AM
hello my g3 14" ibook screen just stopped working i looking in side did not see any thing loss or unplugged nothing so i was wanting to see if anybody on here my be able to help me out thank you very much

ps the computer is still a live it is just the screen it donges and everything so please help and thank you for your time

thehumble1
Apr 28, 2008, 07:25 AM
ok, so by not working, I'm assuming its blank, otherwise you probably would have called it posessed or schizophrenic or such.

to test. Get a good light source, like a flashlight or a desk lamp and then boot the ibook while shining the light, from behind, into the mac logo on the top of the screen. The idea is that the logo is translucent and you need to get light through the back of the LCD panel.

If you see the gray Mac startup apple on the screen, it means your light source is impaired, either with the inverter (what creates the high voltage to start the fluorescent bulb) or the CCFL (the light bulb).

What you do next depends on what you want to pay and what level of comfort you feel playing with electronic devices.

check out ifixit.com (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G3-14-Inch/51) to see what it takes to take apart the computer. If you decide to replace the screen, I'm pretty sure any 14" ibook screen will fit (G4 or G3) but i'm only 90% certain, so you'll need to make sure the screen you buy will work with your G3.

You'll probably get a bunch of people telling you to get a macbook but I don't think your G3 is used up yet and a new screen is cheap (<$100).

krypticos
Apr 28, 2008, 07:41 AM
it has nothing i did try that light thing there are no images i have no clue

Wireless Buddy
Apr 28, 2008, 11:12 AM
it has nothing i did try that light thing there are no images i have no clue

Turn off the computer and press FIRMLY down on the left palm rest. While doing so, turn on the computer. Keep holding for a few seconds. If your screen turns on, your logic board failed.

bpl323
Apr 28, 2008, 11:33 AM
Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor to be sure that it's a screen issue?