Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdorais

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
I'm having some major problems with PackageMaker and I have some clues that might help figure out what's going on. I have an app I created from an Applescript, I saved it as an application. Using "Get Info" in Finder tells me that it's 60 KB. Using Terminal "ls -l" tells me that the exact same app is 13780 bytes large... that's the first strange part (apps created with applescript apparently aren't folders like regular apps). Now I've created a package using PackageMaker which just installs that app to the /Applications directory. I changed the permissions to rwxrwxr-x, chown'ed the owner to root, and group to admin per tutorials on PackageMaker. So I build the package... When I run it and it supposedly installs, I get an app in the /Applications folder with an icon with a circle & line through it. When I try and run it, it says, "You can't open the application 'MyApp' because the Classic environment is no longer supported." The file size in Finder now says it's 16KB large compared to the 60KB file I added to the package (but remember in Terminal it always said it was 16KB). Now if I manually copy the app to the /Applications folder, it works fine. FYI - I am using a PowerPC notebook with 10.5.2 installed, fully updated. Any ideas as to why the filesize is different depending on what I use to view it? And any ideas why it's copying an apparently corrupt file to the /Applications folder?

BTW, I have to do this with an installer because I have plug-ins that need to be installed elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.