Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
Hi, I am wondering how can I play music on my Macbook from my external connected to my airport extreme. The key thing is to not put the music on the internal hard drive because it takes up too much space. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
ChrisN

laxmax613

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
Hi, I am wondering how can I play music on my Macbook from my external connected to my airport extreme. The key thing is to not put the music on the internal hard drive because it takes up too much space. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
ChrisN

maybe you could import the music using the link in the file categore of the menubar?

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
but won't that put all of it onto the hard drive and that will eat all of my hard drive up, won't it?

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
well i just imported a song from it and i did see 1mb drop in the hard drive so im assuming it did, but the song is more than 1 mb, ill keep testing.
edit*
i just added another song and the hard drive stayed the same but it will only let me import a song at a time?

laxmax613

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
well i just imported a song from it and i did see 1mb drop in the hard drive so im assuming it did, but the song is more than 1 mb, ill keep testing.

look for the file in the mac HD, if it's there than you can't, if it's not, well then you did it. another test is to eject that hard drive and see if it's gone.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
ok, heres what you do, go to itunes and go into preferences :)apple:+,), then click on advanced and uncheck
picture2bd528.png

now you can add all the files to the library and it won't copy the files when adding them

picture1a1326.png

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
Thanks man really appreciate it, now i can listen to my music without taking all of my hard drive space :) much appreciated.

ChrisN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.