PDA

View Full Version : macs and movies


3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 01:40 PM
ok, i enjoy watching a great flick with my favorite beverage.

what are your favorite movies of all time? i started to list mine but the list was too long.

so, lets be brutal and whittle it down to the top 5.

1) north by northwest.....almost the best dialog ever written
2) bladerunner....director's cut.
3) to catch a thief.....great dialog and cary grant at his best
4) cinema paradiso....where do i start? morricone's best score
5) willy wonka....twistedly funny and who can resist singing the oompa loompa songs?

Geert
May 8, 2002, 01:51 PM
the godfather I, II, III.

And all other nice conversational movies.

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 01:55 PM
Its very hard to pin down what is my Favorite Movie of all time. It depends on my mood. But here are a few of my favorites

Fletch
MontyPython and the Holy Grail
India Jones and the Lost Ark
Empire Strikes Back (can't wait to see if Clone Wars beats it)
5th Element
Terminator
Shawshank Redemption
Princess Bride

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Its very hard to pin down what is my Favorite Movie of all time. It depends on my mood. But here are a few of my favorites

Fletch
MontyPython and the Holy Grail
India Jones and the Lost Ark
Empire Strikes Back (can't wait to see if Clone Wars beats it)
5th Element
Terminator
Shawshank Redemption
Princess Bride

i knew this would happen-i see your list and i slap my forehead " of course"

iGav
May 8, 2002, 02:16 PM
Top 5..... woah that's a toughie..... mine are,

1: Vertigo (hitch was a genius)
2: Pi (Such an amazing film, and the way it's shot, and clint mansells score, Aronofsky is one of the most vital directors for 20 years!)

3: Escape from Alcatraz (intricate study, truely superb)
4: The Fog (Carpenter's best film, classic, scary Ghost Story)
5: Dirty Harry......... Clint is so cool...... and that Lalo Schifrin score... oh yes!!

eyelikeart
May 8, 2002, 02:33 PM
as a child it was Pete's Dragon...

nowadays...Swingers, Matrix...damn I can't think right now...I'll be back on this one... :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
as a child it was Pete's Dragon...

nowadays...Swingers, Matrix...damn I can't think right now...I'll be back on this one... :rolleyes:

Ok, I'll second the hand slap to the forehead:Smack!

Matix, Ferris Beullers Day Off, Shrek, Toy Story, Monsters Inc. (I'm a 3D guy, have to have them, waiting for Monsters Inc. DVD...)

And a bunch more, I'l post a revised list by genre as I remember them.

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 02:58 PM
if i'm going comedy then:

bottle rocket
rushmore
royal tenenbaums (see a pattern? ha)
zoolander
office space
tommy boy, beverly hills ninja, black sheep (another pattern)...

for more "serious" movies:

seven
usual suspects
kurosawa movies (visually... wow)
12 monkeys

there are more. why can't i freaking think of them!

hey duke, 3D movies are definitely good. i think i mentioned but, the director of monsters inc came into my final animation class monday. that was cool... he's a young dude. 30ish... i have some catching up to do. ha

macstudent
May 8, 2002, 03:00 PM
Back to the Future and Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

hey duke, 3D movies are definitely good. i think i mentioned but, the director of monsters inc came into my final animation class monday. that was cool... he's a young dude. 30ish... i have some catching up to do. ha

I'm arleady past that, but it won't stop me from making my own. Now I just have to find the time. I've got such great ideas, damn, I need to win the lotto so I can work at home on my own stuff.....

teabgs
May 8, 2002, 03:27 PM
Well, ALL the Kevin Smith movies
South Park
Jurassic Park
Patton
Disney's Animated Robin Hood
Empire Strikes Back


Theres a lot of great movies out there. As for favorites, I like to watch comdeies over and over a lot more then drama. So theyre better because of that IMO. :D

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'm arleady past that, but it won't stop me from making my own. Now I just have to find the time. I've got such great ideas, damn, I need to win the lotto so I can work at home on my own stuff.....

great ideas? do share... i think the key to 3D on a small scale is trying to get several people to work on it.... and i'm always up for a project, especially over the summer...

if you don't want to share your great ideas publically, feel free to send me a message... of course, i could always rip them off too! haha.

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 04:03 PM
I liked fight club, Lord of the Rings, Toy Story (at the time it was amazing), Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, and a bunch of others, but those hadn't been mentioned yet.

One more thing, can anyone tell me the movie with the scene with a guy on the bar and the lady tending says to him not to "teabag" the customers. I think it was a brit film, but am not sure.

teabgs
May 8, 2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by mcrain

One more thing, can anyone tell me the movie with the scene with a guy on the bar and the lady tending says to him not to "teabag" the customers. I think it was a brit film, but am not sure.

HAHAHAHAHA! You're really caught up on my name arent you? I remember last time you asked about what the name meant....I don't know the film, but I think this is amusing :D

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by teabgs


HAHAHAHAHA! You're really caught up on my name arent you? I remember last time you asked about what the name meant....I don't know the film, but I think this is amusing :D

I usually am good at remembering quotes from movies, but for the life of me can't place where I've heard that from. Do you know what I'm talking about? There was a male stripper who was chastized for "teabagging" the customer, and when I saw your name, I remembered the movie, but can't place it. It's one of those stupid things that until I remember it will just eat at me. Drive me crazy, you know what I mean? I remember a little boy in a small town, and he ran out from a bar or something that had a red door? This is killing me.

Sorry Teabgs, nothing against your name or anything, I just know I'm not making this up. I know I'm not hallucinating this.

teabgs
May 8, 2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by mcrain


I usually am good at remembering quotes from movies, but for the life of me can't place where I've heard that from. Do you know what I'm talking about? There was a male stripper who was chastized for "teabagging" the customer, and when I saw your name, I remembered the movie, but can't place it. It's one of those stupid things that until I remember it will just eat at me. Drive me crazy, you know what I mean? I remember a little boy in a small town, and he ran out from a bar or something that had a red door? This is killing me.

Sorry Teabgs, nothing against your name or anything, I just know I'm not making this up. I know I'm not hallucinating this.

HAHA! no offense is ever taken by me. I wish I knew the movie that you're talking about. Do you have any idea who is in it? cause www.imdb.com could help solve your problem...

LOVE THE AVATAR!!! rocks!!

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 04:48 PM
John Waters did a movie called Pecker. In that movie, there is a scene in a mostly male bar with male dancers on the bar itself, and one of them "dips" down in front of a patron, and the bartender, she says to him something to the effect that he's not supposed to teabag the customers.

I finally remembered!!!!!

mcrain
May 8, 2002, 04:51 PM
A satisfying offbeat comedy, and a satirical swipe at stuffy east coast art circles, Pecker reaffirms John Waters obsession with social misfits and deviants, his great comic talent and provides further evidence to suggest that he has mellowed with age.

Edward Furlong takes the title role of an energetic and ambitious young photographer who focuses on the various idiosyncrasies of his family and locals, capturing them all in Kodak glory. This allows Waters to resume his love affair with all things bizarre and offbeat, surrounding Pecker with an array of weird subjects: A failing bar worker father, a good hearted thrift shop owning mother, a sister objected to sugar, another a barmaid in a gay strip joint, a ventriloquist grandmother, a Laundromat owning disciplinarian girlfriend and a compulsive shoplifting best friend. Same old Waters you might say then? Not quite - while we also have a lesbian stripper pubic hair, rodents having sex and tea-bagging (watch the movie if you want to know thrown into the mix - this is relatively tame by Waters standards.

Peckers work attracts the attention of a New York art-dealer and before long he is the darling of the New York art scene, making him rich and making minor celebrities of his subjects. Thus we have a scathing damnation of the ridiculousness of the concept of high art as New York socialites marvel at Peckers freak show portfolio, but Waters main focus is the pitfalls of fame - as his relationship with his subjects suffer as a result of the media attention suddenly thrust upon them. The certain duality that exists within vanity is also revealed - the Baltimore eccentrics are happy to pose in all their natural oddball glory while Pecker is merely an obscure pest with a camera - as Peckers notoriety increases, so does their eagerness to put distance between the camera and themselves. Snobby New Yorkers marvel at the images of Baltimores seedy underclass, yet gasp with horror when the camera is turned on them, revealing their own shallowness and inadequacies.

Unfortunately, there is a nagging flaw. Casting Furlong as the lead represents one of Waters poorest decisions to date. He slips into the background far too often here as the supporting players steal the show. Ricci in particular takes a painfully underwritten role and shines. The role of Pecker - an obsessive, good-hearted geek who is endurably, if oddly, likeable is desperately crying out for Tobey Maguire or Jason Schwartzman.

Nevertheless, Pecker, while undeniably an acquired taste, deserves your attention. As mentioned, where Furlong falls short, the support more than makes amends, there are some genuine moments of screwball comedy gold and the relatively short running time (around the 80 minute mark) is refreshing in an age where so many filmmakers, mainstream and independent, seem incapable of producing a final cut under the 2 hour mark. Waters may have chilled out, but he is still treading the thin line between fine art and lunacy. Judge for yourself.

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 05:33 PM
i just saw that again last week. and i think about that scene whenever i see teabgs handle:D i always wondered if there was a connection....

believe it or not, after my wife and i watched it the first time we went to the local market and there was john waters in the next line-pretty funny.

and BOTTLEROCKET kills me every time. my 18 month old daughter has a yellow sleeper jumpsuit that we call a dignan. :D

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
and BOTTLEROCKET kills me every time. my 18 month old daughter has a yellow sleeper jumpsuit that we call a dignan. :D

outfreakingstanding!

have you seen rushmore and/or the royal tenenbaums?? good stuff...

dignan might just be the best character ever.

"on the run from johnny law, it ain't no trip to cleveland..."

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


outfreakingstanding!

have you seen rushmore and/or the royal tenenbaums?? good stuff...

dignan might just be the best character ever.

"on the run from johnny law, it ain't no trip to cleveland..."

seen 'em all. thought rushmore was just too funny. bill murray is just perfect. the royal t's was just ok. it certainly had its moments, gene hackman was great-who'd a thought it? but it just needed more character depth or less characters....

btw, we could just do a bill murray movie thread and i'd be happy.
groundhog day, caddy shack, where the buffalo roam, ghostbusters,
help me out here...:D

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
seen 'em all. thought rushmore was just too funny. bill murray is just perfect. the royal t's was just ok. it certainly had its moments, gene hackman was great-who'd a thought it? but it just needed more character depth or less characters....


i can see that. however, i'll say this. have you seen the tenenbaums twice? if not, i'd recommend it. it definitely is much better the second time around. the serious aspect of the movie weighs a bit heavier the first time around i guess... but i think it was a great movie.

as for the bill murray thread... i'd agree for sure.

but. i'm not in the boat to start one. gotta ask duke, back to da mac, or maybe jef... they're the thread starters (at least as of recently) when it comes to these things... and a few others. you have my blessing though

eyelikeart
May 8, 2002, 06:14 PM
what do u guys think of the Austin Powers' movies?? :D

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
what do u guys think of the Austin Powers' movies?? :D

Ooh, that's another one I forgot about. I'm looking forward to the new one 'Gold Member' My favorite Mike Meyers film is So I Married An Axe Murderer.

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
Top 5..... woah that's a toughie..... mine are,

1: Vertigo (hitch was a genius)
2: Pi (Such an amazing film, and the way it's shot, and clint mansells score, Aronofsky is one of the most vital directors for 20 years!)

3: Escape from Alcatraz (intricate study, truely superb)
4: The Fog (Carpenter's best film, classic, scary Ghost Story)
5: Dirty Harry......... Clint is so cool...... and that Lalo Schifrin score... oh yes!!

i picked up a best of lalo shifrin cd last week-love his stuff. the dirty harry scores are so wonderfully 70's. and then there's bullit( best chase seen ever....) mission impossible, cool hand luke, the cincinnati kid.......

bernard herrman-psycho to taxi driver and everything in between.....man

morricone--cinema paradiso to the untouchables

and my favorite "new" guy is gabriel yared-the english patient and the talented mr. ripley( one of the best scores ever...)

i could do a whole thread on movie scores.:)

jefhatfield
May 8, 2002, 10:24 PM
red, white, and blue trilogy

english patient

buena vista social club

mc68k
May 9, 2002, 12:29 AM
1. Episode IV
2. VI
3. V
4. 2001
5. Jurassic Park

I have others, but these are my top five. Hope Episode II takes away the shame that the prequels have accumulated.

3rdpath
May 9, 2002, 01:43 AM
great avatar jelloshot..now i gotta go rent that movie again:D

and to all a goodnite:)

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
great avatar jelloshot..now i gotta go rent that movie again:D

and to all a goodnite:)

thanks. wasn't sure how good it'd come out at the small size.

it's just something to hold me over til i can animate something i guess. not worth my time right now.

mc68k
May 9, 2002, 01:48 AM
jello', just wondering what your 'tar is from?

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by mc68k
jello', just wondering what your 'tar is from?

it's owen wilson (playing dignan) in the movie bottle rocket... ever heard of/seen it?

if not: i'd recommend it strongly if you can appreciate subtle, "smart" humor... same director/writers as rushmore and the royal tenenbaums. it was their first film

if so: sorry for speaking down to you. :p

mc68k
May 9, 2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


it's owen wilson (playing dignan) in the movie bottle rocket... ever heard of/seen it?

if not: i'd recommend it strongly if you can appreciate subtle, "smart" humor... same director/writers as rushmore and the royal tenenbaums. it was their first film

if so: sorry for speaking down to you. :p
Don't be sorry, I've never heard of rushmore or royal teenbaums. The first Owen Wilson movie I saw was Zoolander. I saw a little bit of Armageddon and I think he was in that too.

Bottle rocket? Never heard of that either. When did it come out? Is it available in the movie stores? Is is independent?

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by mc68k
Don't be sorry, I've never heard of rushmore or royal teenbaums. The first Owen Wilson movie I saw was Zoolander. I saw a little bit of Armageddon and I think he was in that too.

Bottle rocket? Never heard of that either. When did it come out? Is it available in the movie stores? Is is independent?

zoolander was amazing (though different style from the 3 i named). owen wilson is just the funniest actor. something about his style. his way of talking. mannerisms. etc. he was in armageddon. the only good part in my opinion... ha

bottle rocket... ahh... yeah, it's available in MOST video stores. you will definitely find rushmore. all in comedy section.

owen wilson wrote the 3 movies along with director wes anderson. owen was in bottle rocket and the tenenbaums, and his brother luke was in all 3 (smaller role in rushmore). tenenbaums just came out last december, and they got nominated for best original screenplay.. didn't win of course. luke wilson's been in more movies, including charlie's angels. he's funny in a different way i think.

i'd say check out bottle rocket if you can. then check rushmore. i know of people who've seen rushmore only and didn't like it. then saw bottle rocket, loved it, saw rushmore again and loved it.... it's just the style has to grow on you i think.

let me know if you ever get to see it.

ps. you might not laugh hard or often, but keep an open mind... rushmore also has bill murray. and the tenenbaums has murray, gwyneth paltrow, gene hackman, danny glover, ben stiller, the wilsons, alec baldwin's voice, and some others... even still, it was a pretty low budget "indie" style movie...

mc68k
May 9, 2002, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the run-down. I'll have to check them out. Maybe soon, to celebrate the end of the semester. :D

I HATE TV, but really enjoy a good movie.

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 02:12 AM
did you like zoolander by the way?

i honestly thought it was one of the funniest movies i've ever seen. needless to say, it was a goofy movie, but i mean, it was just funny... as crap.

cb911
May 9, 2002, 02:13 AM
the best movie of all time has to be:
The Matrix :D :D :D :D :D :D
but when The Matrix 2 comes out it will be the best.
some more of my favourites:
Fifth Element
Blade (and Blade 2 when it comes out)
all the Monthy Python movies.

there are a few more, but that's all i can think of now.

mc68k
May 9, 2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
did you like zoolander by the way?

i honestly thought it was one of the funniest movies i've ever seen. needless to say, it was a goofy movie, but i mean, it was just funny... as crap.

OMG. That's a story in itself. My manager friend at blockbuster said he saw it 4 times and said it was funny and started to quote it.

So I'm thinking, wow, funny, PG-13, cool. I'll bring it home to the family. Good funny comedy, right?

Wrong. Not that it wasn't funny or anything. I thought it was a laugh riot. It's just that that's NOT my parents type of humor..

One by one, they dropped like flys. 'till I was the only one watching the movie. Only then could I REALLY start laughing w/o looking stupid.

I thought the movie was VERY creative and very funny. I like creative movies, and this was one of them. Will Ferrell, Stiller, and Wilson all did a fabulous job of making a stupid-funny movie. And it had a tangerine iMac! How fitting.

The only part I didn't like was the day-spa seen. *shudder*

My boss Rower' bought the soundtrack and we have a good 'ol time every time we bump it at work.

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by mc68k
OMG. That's a story in itself. My manager friend at blockbuster said he saw it 4 times and said it was funny and started to quote it.

So I'm thinking, wow, funny, PG-13, cool. I'll bring it home to the family. Good funny comedy, right?

Wrong. Not that it wasn't funny or anything. I thought it was a laugh riot. It's just that that's NOT my parents type of humor..

One by one, they dropped like flys. 'till I was the only one watching the movie. Only then could I REALLY start laughing w/o looking stupid.

I thought the movie was VERY creative and very funny. I like creative movies, and this was one of them. Will Ferrell, Stiller, and Wilson all did a fabulous job of making a stupid-funny movie. And it had a tangerine iMac! How fitting.

The only part I didn't like was the day-spa seen. *shudder*

My boss Rower' bought the soundtrack and we have a good 'ol time every time we bump it at work.

if you have a bbuster friend, you'll definitely find bottle rocket...

yes, i can see zoolander not being a very family oriented movie... certainly not parents humor for the most part. and yeah, the day spa part with the sheet... a bit hard to stomach. haha.

the whole vh1 show was funny as crap. and the best parts were definitely when owen and ben team up... i would recommend checking out the dvd and listening to the commentary. pretty funny and interesting.

bottle rocket is not a bad movie to watch with the family. though they might not appreciate it. no toilet humor per se. rushmore's a BIT more risque, and tenenbaums (not out yet) is even more, though also a tad more serious.

one of the best things about the trilogy as it were is that they keep a lot of the minor cast around.... it's cool to see them over and over in different roles and reminisce about their previous parts. hehe.

keep me posted.

ps. your boss is rower? so you're in school or what? where at? studying what? how old? etc..... blah blah

gerror
May 9, 2002, 02:57 AM
StarWars - A new Hope
The Big Lebowski
Pulp Fiction

Somehow I have the idea I forgot about 10 movies...

TiMacLover
May 9, 2002, 03:28 AM
Is this the same dude with all those Best Macs Ever polls?!

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by TiMacLover
Is this the same dude with all those Best Macs Ever polls?!

no... that was "geeyoueye" i believe...

this is the first of its kind i believe....

krossfyter
May 9, 2002, 04:03 AM
lets see...

if i didnt like Zoolander will I like Bottle Rocket?



My favorite movies of all time...

All Star Wars flicks
All Q. Terentino Flicks , especially Pulp Fiction
Slackers (1977, made by the director that inspired keven smith)
Clerks
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
AI
Saving Private Ryan
PI
Traffic
Desperado


when i was wee wittle nostalgia flicks that dont really fit up there...

War Games
Flight of the Navigator
Tron
War of The Worlds
Clash of The Titans
Terminator
Robocop
Jason flicks
Nightmare on Elmstreet flicks

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter
if i didnt like Zoolander will I like Bottle Rocket?


you definitely.... might.

they are definitely different styles and different types of humor.

there are no boner jokes or anything like that. it's all subtle and dry. don't get me wrong, it's only for certain people, but if you're one of those people, you'll love it.

i know it's tough, but if you have the time, give it 2 viewings... there are always things i miss in those guys' films that i see every time i watch again, even after 3 or 4 times.

worth a shot at least... it's not too long of a movie. maybe 90 mins.

mc68k
May 9, 2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
your boss is rower? so you're in school or what? where at? studying what? how old? etc..... blah blah

Yes, he's graduating and going onto his masters here at SDSU, and I'll be a junior in the fall. He's getting a BA in French, and I'm going for a BS in Computer Science. He's 23 and I'm 19. We have a blast hereó we're tech support at a foreign language lab here on campus.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 09:20 AM
Hey Jello, you ever sleep? Or have you been up all night working? Disregard my post on the other thread, I've now found out what your 'tar is. Its been a while since I've seen Bottlerocket, it might be time to rent it again. I'm sure my wife hasn't seen it and she'd love it.

mymemory
May 9, 2002, 09:44 AM
Speed
****ty, ****ty, bang bang
Logans World
10
Space balls

britboy
May 9, 2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by mymemory
Speed
****ty, ****ty, bang bang
Logans World
10
Space balls

that made me smile :)

It's 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!!

mcrain
May 9, 2002, 11:23 AM
Anyone here a Rocky Horror Picture Show nut? I've never gotten into it, but its fans are about as rabid as any films fans.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by mcrain
Anyone here a Rocky Horror Picture Show nut? I've never gotten into it, but its fans are about as rabid as any films fans.

Been a couple times, done the time warp, never got into it. But you're right, pretty crazy group, but its almost a prerequisit to have a few and then some before each showing.

Anyone here got a cult classic favorite. It could almost be considered main stream, but mine has to be Monty Python and the Holy Grail

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Hey Jello, you ever sleep? Or have you been up all night working? Disregard my post on the other thread, I've now found out what your 'tar is. Its been a while since I've seen Bottlerocket, it might be time to rent it again. I'm sure my wife hasn't seen it and she'd love it.

i'm an idiot quite frankly.

i had to work on my sitcom script last night (it's due friday, but i'm leaving here today so i had to get whatever i could done). i was figuring to get the second act or less done (5-10 pages), but instead i finished it all (19 pages last night, 34 total. so that's pretty good.

i slept for 4 hours or whatever and now i have 2 hours to totally pack all my stuff from the entire semester and load it into the car.... and yet i sit here and type... it's ok, cause i'm eating while i type.

bottle rocket is great.

tell me some ideas for 3D, dawg.

3rdpath
May 9, 2002, 12:03 PM
" caw caw, caw caw, i'm gonna call my gang". that scene makes me pee every time:D

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

tell me some ideas for 3D, dawg.


We'll discuss this off thread when you've had a chance to get some sleep and get all your stuff together.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
" caw caw, caw caw, i'm gonna call my gang". that scene makes me pee every time:D

OOH, you just jogged my memory on another of my new favorites.

Galaxy Quest

That is such a great spoof of the old Cpt. Kirk and Spock Star Trek shows I was laughing the whole time. I can't wait till they do the sequel.....

'Hurry, lets get out of here before something kills Guy!'

3rdpath
May 9, 2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


OOH, you just jogged my memory on another of my new favorites.

Galaxy Quest

That is such a great spoof of the old Cpt. Kirk and Spock Star Trek shows I was laughing the whole time. I can't wait till they do the sequel.....

'Hurry, lets get out of here before something kills Guy!'

i thought galaxy quest was highly under-rated. it was a great spoof.

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
" caw caw, caw caw, i'm gonna call my gang". that scene makes me pee every time:D

ahh yes.

"more topspin... good, he listens"... ha

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
We'll discuss this off thread when you've had a chance to get some sleep and get all your stuff together.

who needs sleep?

i made it out of my dorm and nyc safely. hicksville be home now.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


who needs sleep?

i made it out of my dorm and nyc safely. hicksville be home now.

Good to hear. So home now in PA, eh? I've been home all day, got plumbers add a new bathroom to the basement. With all the crap going on here, I've had to take off from work, even though I've done some stuff.

I just saw the preview for the new Malcom in the Middle episode, looks hysterical, how'd yours come out?

What're your immediate plans for now?

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Good to hear. So home now in PA, eh? I've been home all day, got plumbers add a new bathroom to the basement. With all the crap going on here, I've had to take off from work, even though I've done some stuff.

I just saw the preview for the new Malcom in the Middle episode, looks hysterical, how'd yours come out?

What're your immediate plans for now?

plumbers... crack.

mine turned out ok. it's not funny all the way through, but at least i finished it. it's a first draft done, which is more than most people were able to finish... so i'm happy. a revisement would hopefully make it a bit funnier and such... the best parts were with craig, the guy that lois works with... he's just easy to write for... he's hilarious.

i'm home for now. apple store in nova tomorrow (for my brother's possible powerbook purchase), might help another brother move to reston (from charlottesville), then some back to nyc sunday-wednesday for my girlfriend's graduation. then... home i guess. gotta find a job at some point.

or else i'll be left with pimping myself out for money again.... it always seems to resort to that.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


plumbers... crack.

i'm home for now. apple store in nova tomorrow (for my brother's possible powerbook purchase), might help another brother move to reston (from charlottesville), then some back to nyc sunday-wednesday for my girlfriend's graduation. then... home i guess. gotta find a job at some point.

or else i'll be left with pimping myself out for money again.... it always seems to resort to that.

Ha! These guys were jackhammering the floor, totally crazy, and you should see the mess. But its worth it to have a second full bathroom.

What Apple Store? Tysons I imagine. You should go to the Clarendon store, we could meet, get some great Vietnamese food down the street. Let me know.

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Ha! These guys were jackhammering the floor, totally crazy, and you should see the mess. But its worth it to have a second full bathroom.

What Apple Store? Tysons I imagine. You should go to the Clarendon store, we could meet, get some great Vietnamese food down the street. Let me know.

did you see some crack though? that's the key.

stop stalking me old man. haha.

where is the clarendon one in relation to tysons, more importantly, in relation to gaithersburg, md... that's where i'm meeting up with my bro (he works there) and then we may or may not head to reston to help the other brother move into his temp apartment...

the schedule's a little iffy and uncertain. so i'd hate to plan something and end up standing you up on our first date.... ha

but perhaps another time. do let me know about the clarendon store though, since i don't really know where it is... it could be closer to us as far as i know...

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 10:51 PM
Not interested in seeing crack, I'm a little worried you're so into it.

You can see for yourself that the Clarendon store is closer to DC than Tysons. Check the link

http://www.apple.com/retail/clarendon/

http://www.apple.com/retail/tysons/

I've not been to the Tysons store, but the Clarendon one is in a little upscale mall in Arlington, very nice. But right in the area is some of the best Vietnamese food in DC.

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Not interested in seeing crack, I'm a little worried you're so into it.

You can see for yourself that the Clarendon store is closer to DC than Tysons. Check the link

http://www.apple.com/retail/clarendon/

http://www.apple.com/retail/tysons/

I've not been to the Tysons store, but the Clarendon one is in a little upscale mall in Arlington, very nice. But right in the area is some of the best Vietnamese food in DC.

i am a little worried too actually. kinda weird.

i never learned how to "read maps". ha.

as far as which is closer to DC, i'm coming from gaithersburg... would i be swinging through DC? i figured tysons is north of the other, which would thus be closer to me.

vietnamese... never had it. i didn't like the time i had thai food though. perhaps a bad dish, or perhaps it's not my bag. i forget what it was called. a coworker suggested it. swing and a miss..

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

as far as which is closer to DC, i'm coming from gaithersburg... would i be swinging through DC? i figured tysons is north of the other, which would thus be closer to me.

vietnamese... never had it. i didn't like the time i had thai food though. perhaps a bad dish, or perhaps it's not my bag. i forget what it was called. a coworker suggested it. swing and a miss..

You'll just have to ask your brother how he plans on getting around town. The direct route isn't always the best.

Vietnamese is very different from Thai, not as hot, awesome peanut sauce.

I'm thinking its getting time to go, I've been an uber-geek today, this is like my 105th post, I might not be online tomorrow.

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
You'll just have to ask your brother how he plans on getting around town. The direct route isn't always the best.

Vietnamese is very different from Thai, not as hot, awesome peanut sauce.

I'm thinking its getting time to go, I've been an uber-geek today, this is like my 105th post, I might not be online tomorrow.

he was pretty sure we'd just hit up tysons. and he knows the area pretty well and is a map nerd.

i'll try vietnamese sometime.maybe. they don't have very many foreign food places here in hicksville, nor in nyc.... ha.

105. and you make fun of me for something like 70. you should find a picture of a hypocrite and make that your icon. either that or make it a picture of you posting on macrumors. ha

so just hang out at clarendon all day (since you won't be online) and if i see you there, we'll hit up the dinner place... haha. enjoy the "day off"

kmsawyer
May 9, 2002, 11:23 PM
I'm with you Monty Python people. Watching it with subtitles makes it even funnier. I highly recommend it.
Other good movies:
Chariots of Fire (serious, but really good, plus the music is great)
Lawrence of Arabia (good music again)
Casablanca
Indiana Jones (all but Temple of Doom)
Lord of the Rings!!!

teabgs
May 10, 2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


where is the clarendon one in relation to tysons, more importantly, in relation to gaithersburg, md... that's where i'm meeting up with my bro (he works there) and then we may or may not head to reston to help the other brother move into his temp apartment...


weird..I'm in gaithersburg MD right now. That where I'm origionally from. Only here until sunday when this videography job is done...

Easiest Apple store to get to from here is definatley Tyson's. Just go on 270 south to 495 (at the split of 270 to 495 go right...towards VA) and get off at the tyson's exit. The apple store is close to the exit too....first time you can get in the Tyson's parking lot do it, get out go to the top floor, and look for the big Apple :)

I was thinking of going just for fun while I'm here, but I prolly wont have time :mad:

Jello, where in PA are you that you're so close to MD? are you near Waynesboro by any chance?

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by teabgs
weird..I'm in gaithersburg MD right now. That where I'm origionally from. Only here until sunday when this videography job is done...

Easiest Apple store to get to from here is definatley Tyson's. Just go on 270 south to 495 (at the split of 270 to 495 go right...towards VA) and get off at the tyson's exit. The apple store is close to the exit too....first time you can get in the Tyson's parking lot do it, get out go to the top floor, and look for the big Apple :)

I was thinking of going just for fun while I'm here, but I prolly wont have time :mad:

Jello, where in PA are you that you're so close to MD? are you near Waynesboro by any chance?

well i lived in NOVA for a while, and hit up the apple store on opening day, i know the area well enough and my brother knows it like a sock puppet.. (what?) so it's all good.

as for the boro, what the hell? that's where i live. i just got back from golfing at the world famous waynesboro country club. how do you (or anyone) know about this dump town?

back 2 da mac. i shot a mother freaking 49 on 9. i have to get my callouses back and then i have my work cut out for me... i'm hopeful though.

hopefully the next bikini car wash will be soon

teabgs
May 10, 2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule



as for the boro, what the hell? that's where i live. i just got back from golfing at the world famous waynesboro country club. how do you (or anyone) know about this dump town?

HAHA! Boy have I ever spent some time in good ol' boring ass Waynesboro. Worst fireworks ever, yet they get so excited...

I used to goto camp there and then I worked at the camp for two years. You ever goto that Truck stop in Green Castle (I think). It's off RT 16 near the HWY if you're going to Hagerstown, MD. I love that place...I guess its cause its either go there or to 711, or the supermarket at night, cause thats pretty much all thats open.

ACTUALLY the camp isnt technically in Waynesboro...it's in Rouzerville, but I wouldnt have thought that you'd know Rouzerville...

The best part of it is that there's just the one cop that drives up and down Old Rt 16 so if you're a little bit out of the way (moe west then where Old Rt and Rt 16 meet you can drive as fast as you want. :D

sturm375
May 10, 2002, 03:36 PM
In no particular order:

Star Wars: The first one, not epsiode 1, the first one
Blues Brothers
Matrix
Rocky
Saving Private Ryan
Darkman
BraveHeart
Rob Roy
Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness (Evil Dead III)
Pulp Fiction
Usual Suspects
Heat
Cool Hand Luke
Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
Reservoir Dogs

3rdpath
May 10, 2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by sturm375
In no particular order:

Cool Hand Luke
Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
Reservoir Dogs

anyone who throws in cool hand luke is alright by me.

btw, the indiana jones movie reminds of my next movie tangent: gaffs

did anyone else ever notice how you can see the cobra's reflection in the pane of glass between it and indy-while they're in the tomb? funny

or how many times bullit's mustang passes the same vw bug during the great SF chase scene? chase scenes in particular usually bug me because i always notice the skid marks on the street from the previous takes.

anyway, just a thought.

jelloshotsrule
May 10, 2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
HAHA! Boy have I ever spent some time in good ol' boring ass Waynesboro. Worst fireworks ever, yet they get so excited...

I used to goto camp there and then I worked at the camp for two years. You ever goto that Truck stop in Green Castle (I think). It's off RT 16 near the HWY if you're going to Hagerstown, MD. I love that place...I guess its cause its either go there or to 711, or the supermarket at night, cause thats pretty much all thats open.

ACTUALLY the camp isnt technically in Waynesboro...it's in Rouzerville, but I wouldnt have thought that you'd know Rouzerville...

The best part of it is that there's just the one cop that drives up and down Old Rt 16 so if you're a little bit out of the way (moe west then where Old Rt and Rt 16 meet you can drive as fast as you want. :D

rouzerville really is waynesboro... i mean, it's this tiny little strip of 16 that is just past the boro if you're going east. rouzerville schmouzerville i say.

the boro is boring. but luckily this summer my brother's living in frederick (working at lockheed in gaith) whereas last time i spent a summer home he was elsewhere.

i know greencastle but don't know a particular truck stop there. the golf course there is awesome though. 30 mins to get there from my house, but it's worth it on the $10 early bird specials...

i love hicks.

teabgs
May 11, 2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


i know greencastle but don't know a particular truck stop there. the golf course there is awesome though. 30 mins to get there from my house, but it's worth it on the $10 early bird specials...

i love hicks.

Its right by a bunch of gas stations and the ramp to the highway. You should check it out. They have great milkshakes and I got 2 compilation cd's there that are great! wow...I used great twice in that sentence:rolleyes:

mc68k
May 11, 2002, 10:56 AM
The Matrix Reloaded, the sequel, is set to come out in 2003:

http://www.time.com/time/sampler/article/0,8599,235417,00.html

jelloshotsrule
May 11, 2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by teabgs


Its right by a bunch of gas stations and the ramp to the highway. You should check it out. They have great milkshakes and I got 2 compilation cd's there that are great! wow...I used great twice in that sentence:rolleyes:

ehh, 30 mins drive for that doesn't sound too great... i can't usually find music i like except in the city, used places, online, or at shows... so i'm in no rush.

great uses of the word great by the way. ha

teabgs
May 11, 2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


great uses of the word great by the way. ha

hehe :D ya, it's great. And it's great that you think my use of the word great is great.

But seriously Has anyone seen [b]Death Race 2000[/]? GREAT movie...as in so great because its so bad! Plus Sly stalone gets his ass kicked in it!!

jelloshotsrule
May 11, 2002, 08:30 PM
i think mission to mars was the worst movie as far as actual quality to expected/assumed quality ratio... that was freaking bad. but funny how bad it was given the massive cast/budget. oh well

Mr. Anderson
May 11, 2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
The Matrix Reloaded, the sequel, is set to come out in 2003:

http://www.time.com/time/sampler/article/0,8599,235417,00.html

Excellent. I started to read it then stopped. I don't want to know that much about it. We're going to get hyped to the extreme by the time it comes out in May. But what really got me is that the whole story is actually a trilogy and the 3rd movie will come out about 6 months after Reloaded. That's very cool, we won't have to wait years for the final part.

And its all being shot in Sidney. Any of you guys down under see any thing going on?

Rower_CPU
May 11, 2002, 10:16 PM
mc68k spilled the beans...hahaha

Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head:
Dark City
Thin Red Line
Tron
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Austin Powers
Zoolander
Platoon
2001: A Space Odyssey
Toy Story (1 and 2)
In the Mouth of Madness
The Shining (the original w/ Nicholson)
Last Man Standing
The Sixth Sense
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles


there's more but...

jelloshotsrule
May 11, 2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
mc68k spilled the beans...hahaha

Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head:
Dark City
Thin Red Line
Tron
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Austin Powers
Zoolander
Platoon
2001: A Space Odyssey
Toy Story (1 and 2)
....



yeah zoolander!

i have yet to see toy story 2. kinda pathetic i guess. but oh well.