PDA

View Full Version : best machine for Logic?

redwing
Apr 28, 2008, 07:20 PM
Today, april 28, Apple released new Imacs. the top end has a 3.06 ghz processor, 500 gb hard drive, 2 gigs ram and decent video card. Would this machine be better than a quad core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro (2008 ver)? What are the advantages of the Pro model over the Imac for programs like Logic?

ZiggyPastorius
Apr 28, 2008, 08:06 PM
I'm no expert or anything, but I'd say it depends on how heavy of a user you are...My Macbook SR 2.0Ghz C2d with 4GB of RAM runs Logic Express perfectly, and I don't have any issues. Obviously, if you need to do heavier work, a Macbook isn't going to cut it...I'd say if you plan on doing heavy audio work as your main work for a long time, go for the Mac Pro, if you can't justify the cost, get the iMac..it sure looks like a sweet deal now with the upgrade.

Good luck!

By the way, I've noticed my RAM has more to do with the Logic performance than my processor, but, I also don't do really heavy work...It barely taxes one of my cores more than like 30%, ever.

yadmonkey
Apr 28, 2008, 11:02 PM
As Ziggy said, if you're not doing heavy work then any current Mac will do the trick. However if you're recording lots of simultaneous tracks, I'd go with a Macbook Pro, iMac, or Mac Pro. Any of those should have more than enough power.

I've been recording to my 2GHz Macbook (pre-Santa Rosa) and it's been great, but I only record two tracks at a time.

zimv20
Apr 28, 2008, 11:43 PM
if you're recording lots of simultaneous tracks, I'd go with a Macbook Pro

recording takes up little system resources, like CPU and RAM. all you need is a fast, dedicated drive for that. the more powerful systems are needed for CPU/RAM intensive operations like plug-ins and virtual instruments.

yadmonkey
Apr 28, 2008, 11:50 PM
recording takes up little system resources, like CPU and RAM. all you need is a fast, dedicated drive for that. the more powerful systems are needed for CPU/RAM intensive operations like plug-ins and virtual instruments.

Agreed, which is why I excluded the Macbook - it only has a single firewire port and for those of us who use a firewire interface, that leaves no free bus for a dedicated drive, at least not a designated firewire (preferable) drive.

threeloaves
Apr 30, 2008, 10:08 PM
I have a Mac Pro I just built last week that I have to sell. I was just in the hospital, and my insurance is denying me coverage. So I have a pretty heft bill on the way.

Mac Pro
Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors
- 6GB memory (800MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
- ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics with 256MB memory
- Bay 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM
- Bay 2: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM
- Bay 3: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM
- Bay 4: 320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm
- 16x double-layer SuperDrive

- Apple Wireless Aluminum Keyboard
- Apple Wired Aluminum Keyboard
- Apple Wired Mighty Mouse
- Logitech MX Revolution Mouse

All original discs, and adapters included

OWC Mercury Elite-AL FireWire 800/400 + USB2 Pro Hardware RAID Dual-Drive Enclosure Kit for up to Two SATA Hard Disk
- Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 5400 to 7200 RPM

20-inch Apple Cinema Display
- model: M9177LL/A

This is a brand new machine I just built last week. Everything is mint, and super fast.
Im asking $4,000 + shipping.

Let me know if you have any questions or want photos
chippedham@gmail.com