Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redwing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Today, april 28, Apple released new Imacs. the top end has a 3.06 ghz processor, 500 gb hard drive, 2 gigs ram and decent video card. Would this machine be better than a quad core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro (2008 ver)? What are the advantages of the Pro model over the Imac for programs like Logic?

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
I'm no expert or anything, but I'd say it depends on how heavy of a user you are...My Macbook SR 2.0Ghz C2d with 4GB of RAM runs Logic Express perfectly, and I don't have any issues. Obviously, if you need to do heavier work, a Macbook isn't going to cut it...I'd say if you plan on doing heavy audio work as your main work for a long time, go for the Mac Pro, if you can't justify the cost, get the iMac..it sure looks like a sweet deal now with the upgrade.

Good luck!

By the way, I've noticed my RAM has more to do with the Logic performance than my processor, but, I also don't do really heavy work...It barely taxes one of my cores more than like 30%, ever.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
As Ziggy said, if you're not doing heavy work then any current Mac will do the trick. However if you're recording lots of simultaneous tracks, I'd go with a Macbook Pro, iMac, or Mac Pro. Any of those should have more than enough power.

I've been recording to my 2GHz Macbook (pre-Santa Rosa) and it's been great, but I only record two tracks at a time.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
if you're recording lots of simultaneous tracks, I'd go with a Macbook Pro

recording takes up little system resources, like CPU and RAM. all you need is a fast, dedicated drive for that. the more powerful systems are needed for CPU/RAM intensive operations like plug-ins and virtual instruments.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
recording takes up little system resources, like CPU and RAM. all you need is a fast, dedicated drive for that. the more powerful systems are needed for CPU/RAM intensive operations like plug-ins and virtual instruments.

Agreed, which is why I excluded the Macbook - it only has a single firewire port and for those of us who use a firewire interface, that leaves no free bus for a dedicated drive, at least not a designated firewire (preferable) drive.

threeloaves

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
I have a Mac Pro I just built last week that I have to sell. I was just in the hospital, and my insurance is denying me coverage. So I have a pretty heft bill on the way.

Mac Pro
Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors
- 6GB memory (800MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
- ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics with 256MB memory
- Bay 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM
- Bay 2: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM
- Bay 3: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM
- Bay 4: 320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm
- 16x double-layer SuperDrive

- Apple Wireless Aluminum Keyboard
- Apple Wired Aluminum Keyboard
- Apple Wired Mighty Mouse
- Logitech MX Revolution Mouse

All original discs, and adapters included

OWC Mercury Elite-AL
FireWire 800/400 + USB2 Pro Hardware RAID Dual-Drive Enclosure Kit for up to Two SATA Hard Disk
- Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 5400 to 7200 RPM

20-inch Apple Cinema Display
- model: M9177LL/A

This is a brand new machine I just built last week. Everything is mint, and super fast.
Im asking $4,000 + shipping.

Let me know if you have any questions or want photos
chippedham@gmail.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.