Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodtouchnewb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
i purchased my touch a while ago and jailbroke it on my other computer. i recently bought a new laptop and installed itunes on it and it restored my ipod with the new firmware. after that, itunes would not detect my touch. i have tried everything. uninstalling/reinstalling itunes, restoring my touch, restarting computer. i have even tested my dads on my laptop and it worked fine so i know its not the computer thats causing the problem. i also tested my touch on my other computer and that also didnt work. can anyone help PLEASE? email me if you can with any suggestions at motox820@yahoo.com.
thanks

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
do you mean when you plug it in nothing happens in itunes?

if it is not detecting it at all do the following....

plug the ipod into the pc/mac, turn on the ipod see if iTunes will detect it, if not hold the home and sleep buttons down on the ipod, keeping them held down the ipod will appear to have switched off ...... keep the buttons held down, now as soon as you see the apple logo let go of the sleep key only and keep the home button held down. Eventually the ipod will display a itunes logo with the usb connection underneath on screen and iTunes should say its detected an ipod in recovery mode, all u need to do now is restore as normal and hope it detects afterwards

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
Are you sure you plugged it into a USB port? I accidentally plugged mine into the ethernet port lastnight :eek:

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
First of all try just leaving it for a while. If the device is low on charge it wont boot or be recognised for a little while.

If this doesn't work, following the instruction above, restore it.

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
This has happened to me NUMEROUS times in the past when I have Jailbroken my iPod. It also happened the first time i plugged the thing in.

If you are on a Mac, do the following:

Completely Uninstall iTunes
Re-Install It

On my Pre-Reinstall Spotlight Searches, I found that Apple Mobile Device Support was missing, upon reinstalling iTunes, Mobile Device Support was reinstalled allowing iTunes to recognise the iPod Touch (Even though it is an IPOD not an IPHONE, weird it needs 'Apple MOBILE device support' isnt it?)

On Windows, do the same as above but using Add/Remove Programs under Control Panel in the Start Menu.

Cheers!

allbrokeup

P.S. This has worked for me loads of times, instead of reinstalling from a Receipt on a Mac, use the DMG. So in other words, re-download iTunes from Apple or it will not work.

P.P.S. Yes, you have no other option but to Re-Download on Windows, unless you kept the Setup Executable. But who does that?

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Well i hoped its bricked :):):)

Only ppl with iphones should jailbreak FOR UNLOCKING PURPOSE ONLY NOT FOR THIRD PARTY APPS.

i support apple in their view against third party apps on their iphone.. sdk will come soon then they can control it, however i detest their view on unlocking iphones...

however ipod touches shouldnt be jailbroken as they dont need to be unlocked as they arebt phones.. they dont need third party apps apart from sdk-approved ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.