Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I sold my white mb (current gen) last week and just bought a new, sealed mba off ebay for 1520 shipped. I'll be testing the machine thoroughly once it arrives (in about 14 hours :D), but if I do run into some physical problems, will I have any trouble bringing it into an apple store to get it fixed under warranty without an original receipt? i guess my question can be generalized to people who receive macs as gifts and then need to do some type of warranty work to it. the person i'm buying it from received it as a birthday gift, but already had a laptop. how does the process work? i searched the forum, but the results were totally off topic.

isianto

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Hi, I'm from Indonesia, and when I service my apple under warranty, they don't ask about the receipt. I don't know whether it's true in US as well.
Anyway, you can check in the apple support for your warranty status
Hope it helps

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver
Pretty sure you're good for a year starting from the original date of purchase. Which is to say, whenever the person you bought it from originally purchased it or had it purchased for s/he. They should just look up the serial number and, assuming the hypothetical damage is covered under warranty, fix it no questions asked.

I've never been asked for proof of purchase, anyway.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I sold my white mb (current gen) last week and just bought a new, sealed mba off ebay for 1520 shipped. I'll be testing the machine thoroughly once it arrives (in about 14 hours :D), but if I do run into some physical problems, will I have any trouble bringing it into an apple store to get it fixed under warranty without an original receipt? i guess my question can be generalized to people who receive macs as gifts and then need to do some type of warranty work to it. the person i'm buying it from received it as a birthday gift, but already had a laptop. how does the process work? i searched the forum, but the results were totally off topic.

AppleCare (either the standard 1 year or the optional extended 3 year version) is linked to the machine, not to the purchaser. It shouldn't matter who currently owns the machine. Apple keeps a record of when a specific machine was originally sold, and tracks the warranty from that date. If you run into a problem, you can call Apple and quote the machine's serial number and they will be able to tell you how much of the warranty period remains, and where to take it to get it repaired. It would be a good idea after you receive your new machine to call up Apple and let them know that you're the new owner...they will update their records.

That's how it works in Australia anyway.

wolfie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2008
cant you just register the product on the apple website through your account and that does the same thing, instead of ringing apple?

CaptainCannabis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
You will have no problems at all.

If something happens to your MBA just take it to the Apple store, they will check its Serial Number and with that they will know if its under warranty.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
is there a way to actually change the name of the owner on the apple site when you enter the serial number? im not sure//

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I received my mba about 2 hours ago. So far, so good! I did the product registration thing when the mba first booted up, so technically, the mba should be under my name correct? Or is that registration step just for the OS?

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
If this is the first time the machine was booted (which sounds like it is if you went through setting up your name and password etc.) then you're good to go - Apple will have you registered as the owner. It's like buying a new car from a dealer - you are the first registered owner, unlike say buying a demo where the dealer was the first owner.
Alan

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Cool thanks that's what I was thinking too. Technically I am the second owner, but this is the first time the machine has ever been opened and booted. I am very happy with the mba so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.