Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Per Engadget (I can't get the link they posted to open)

One of the most surprising things about the launch of an ultra-portable laptop dubbed "Air" by Apple wasn't it's thinness but the lack of an embedded WWAN radio. No more, at least if you're not intimidated by smoldering solder and warranty violations. Jordan Bunnell has posted a step-by-step of his success at integrating a Verizon USB727 Aircard into the MacBook Air chassis thanks to the MBA's previously unused USB controllers discovered on the system board. While the EVDO signal (and speed) has appreciably degraded from its externally attached origins, Jordan is still pulling 1,400 to 1,700kbps downloads and 380kbps uploads -- something which might be improved with antenna tweaks. Regardless, those speeds are significantly faster than the 0kbps stock MBA owners experience.

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Very nice

Very nice, Wish the 'air' had a decent bluetooth radio that would work with tethering. Still a very good hack, pretty straight forward and perhaps when my applecare is over it is one that would be worth attempting!

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, and its inside the MBA so it wont make it any buliker...

Pure genius, nothing short of it.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
That's a very nice mod.
And the documentation of the workflow was very well done. Way to go!

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9800/298; U; en))

I am in agreement with Engadget, I can't believe they didn't include this option direct from Apple

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
I just got Sprint EVDO today actually with the release of a new usb modem. This Sierra Compass 597 is like barely 1 ounce in weight and like a stick of gum in size. I love it. I don't need anything more than this. So far so good with Sprint EVDO on my MBA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.