Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTaylor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
god I think there really shabby however to the public vote!:
P1030670And8More_tonemapped.jpg

P1030679And7More_tonemapped.jpg

P1030687And9More_tonemapped.jpg

P1030687And9More_tonemapped2.jpg

Timg'd

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
A typical problem with HDR is that contours and edges are often over-emphasized by what I can only describe as 'burn' (kind of like adding a hard light filtered layer in photoshop). 3 out of 4 of your pics would fit in that category, but the 3rd picture down (the first one of the PT cruiser) looks pretty good actually... to finish it off I would have done another exposure on the trees/bushes on the far side of the street to bring them out.

(BTW I am by no means even a competent amateur photographer... the above is just my arm-chair observations! ;) )

DaveTaylor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
All opinions etc are very much appreciated, like said this is my first attempt at HDR so I am happy with the outcome however to improve you have to take in criticism :) so thank you :)

mitchcook

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Hey, I like your last one... The third I thought looked pretty normal, first wouldnt load... and second one is just kinda weird? The Sheep or whatever they are (sorry :p) look messed up in the second one.
I'm not quite sure what everyone's obsession with HDR is though. It is cool, you can do funky stuff with it, especially when working with text, or things that really pop out (I seen one of a newspaper holder thinger... that one was good)... But I don't know why 5/8 of the pictures on the daily picture thread are HDR.
Is it an obsession or does everyone just like playing around with it :p
But all in all, good job :)
Mitch

DaveTaylor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Hey, I like your last one... The third I thought looked pretty normal, first wouldnt load... and second one is just kinda weird? The Sheep or whatever they are (sorry :p) look messed up in the second one.
I'm not quite sure what everyone's obsession with HDR is though. It is cool, you can do funky stuff with it, especially when working with text, or things that really pop out (I seen one of a newspaper holder thinger... that one was good)... But I don't know why 5/8 of the pictures on the daily picture thread are HDR.
Is it an obsession or does everyone just like playing around with it :p
But all in all, good job :)
Mitch

Images updated to my website, imageshack decided to fail on me, anyway I am just curious to what I can do, not so much an obsession as I find it time consuming to do such a simple thing, however it's more a learning curb considering I am only 16 :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
click the image :|

or is it still to small? if so I will upload the full sized

Doh! I like the last one, except too much of the background is in focus. The sheep kill the other one, HDR doesn't really like moving subjects- I'd look at using the sheep from one exposure and cloning them out of the rest of the shots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.