Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today, Apple issued a 57MB update to Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), adding support for Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05.
This Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1 adds Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05 to your Mac. This update does not replace the existing installation of J2SE 5.0 or change the default version of Java.
The update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later, and a 64-bit Intel-based Mac. Apple had previously seeded a developer's preview of Java SE 6 for Leopard to ADC developers.

The lack of Java 6 support when Leopard was released had received much criticism.

Article Link

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
Original posting said: "The update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 or later, and a 64-bit Intel-based Mac. "

Sounds like a decent update but how come there's no 32-bit version for early Intel Mac Mini machines, or any update for PowerPC at all, even if the system is running Leopard? Seems kind of odd that they'd just "forget about" all of those loyal users. Maybe an update for those machines is forthcoming.

Claytoniss

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
Denver
Sounds like a decent update but how come there's no 32-bit version for early Intel Mac Mini machines, or any update for PowerPC at all, even if the system is running Leopard? Seems kind of odd that they'd just "forget about" all of those loyal users. Maybe an update for those machines is forthcoming.

Yes what about the loyal PPC people! Maybe tomorrow?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I've just installed this on my MacBook. So it doesn't need a 64-bit Intel-based Mac. Just an Intel-based Mac. :confused:

Your MacBook is a Core 2 Duo surely thats a 64-bit processor?

On another note, why did they ignore Tiger...it is a 64-bit OS after all....at least on some level

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Anyone have an idea why they didn't also release this for the PPC?

Yes what about the loyal PPC people! Maybe tomorrow?

I guess because they decided it wasn't worth the effort. Every computer sold for the last year or so has been a 64bit Intel computer and will continue to be so. I guess they decided that they may as well support the computers that will be in most use in the future.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
Maybe noting in the article which Macs are 64 bit Intel would be helpful for people, this really only applies to newer Macs and leaves a lot hanging.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Every computer sold for the last year or so has been a 64bit Intel computer and will continue to be so.

Mac Mini's before last August were 32 bit.

I guess they decided that they may as well support the computers that will be in most use in the future.

Come on, this is lame, Java applications for Mac STILL won't be able to use Java 6 that was released for Windows 18 months ago, they'll be pissing off too many users still using older Macs. There is no defending this move, Java doesn't require a 64 bit processor to run.

CallMeTheArrow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
Maybe noting in the article which Macs are 64 bit Intel would be helpful for people, this really only applies to newer Macs and leaves a lot hanging.

Anything Core 2 Duo or above is 64-bit Intel (IA64).

Anything Core Duo is 32-bit Intel (IA32/x86).

Anything Gx (G5, G4 G3) is PowerPC (PPC).

You can check by going to the Apple Logo at the top left and clicking "About This Mac" to see what you've got.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
This Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1 adds Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_05 to your Mac. This update does not replace the existing installation of J2SE 5.0 or change the default version of Java

This might be another silly question, but why wouldn't it replace the older version of Java? And why not make it the default version? Since I assume newer means better...?

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
I doubt it shows up for computers without the required components. Anyone want to confirm or deny this for reference?

I'm sure it doesn't, but clarification is always nice to keep confusion down.

Doesn't show up on my dual G5 for obvious reasons though. Hopefully it'll get pushed out for all Macs.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
This might be another silly question, but why wouldn't it replace the older version of Java?

Because some applications are version specific.

Apple is very Microsoftian on Java (well except for the backwards compatibility)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Mac Mini's before last August were 32 bit.

Fair enough. I thought they stopped them earlier.

Come on, this is lame, Java applications for Mac STILL won't be able to use Java 6 that was released for Windows 18 months ago, they'll be pissing off too many users still using older Macs. There is no defending this move, Java doesn't require a 64 bit processor to run.

Lame or not that is the situation.

I don't know if you have followed the developer previews but iirc they have been 64bit Intel only too meaning PPC and 32bit Intel releases are unlikely any time soon. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.