PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Messenger 7

MacBytes
Apr 29, 2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Microsoft Messenger 7 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080429230514)
Description:: It's new, but there's little indication of what's new...

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

dskoziol
Apr 29, 2008, 10:27 PM
It still doesn't support webcamming!

karenflower
Apr 29, 2008, 10:30 PM
Lame. :(

Microsoft sucks! Stop being mean to us!! Gah.

/hate

(But really. . webcam! Please.)

MikeTheC
Apr 29, 2008, 10:32 PM
Y'know, I could say something right now, but I won't.

The ONLY time I use MSN Messenger is when I'm chatting with a friend from P.R. and she wants to use some of her nifty-neato smilies (which are pretty cool to look at). That's it.

The rest of the time, it's AdiumX to the rescue!

chuckles:)
Apr 29, 2008, 10:49 PM
it says it supports audio and video chats... but i cant find either anywhere.

akislot
Apr 29, 2008, 11:02 PM
On the Microsoft site, it looks like video is only supported if you have Office Communications Server 2007.

That is just silly....

Luis
Apr 29, 2008, 11:04 PM
So A/V but only for corporate accounts... Oh well, I guess it can't be that far away. Eventually they (or the Adium team) will get there.

n8236
Apr 29, 2008, 11:09 PM
Adium is still king of the hill.

LaDirection
Apr 29, 2008, 11:17 PM
aMSN has been supporting Webcams for quite some time now.

Luis
Apr 29, 2008, 11:19 PM

The interface is hell though...

Tattoo
Apr 29, 2008, 11:21 PM
lol@people that still use Messengers - soooooooo 1989? :rolleyes:;)

im_to_hyper
Apr 29, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hmm... my first experience with this is it telling me the service in unavailable. Three tries later, it finally works.

God, anyone know if they are speeding up development of this? I can't wait till 7.x or 8, haha.

Luis
Apr 29, 2008, 11:24 PM
God, anyone know if they are speeding up development of this? I can't wait till 7.x or 8, haha.

Haha, and what version is the windows messenger up to now? 27?:p

im_to_hyper
Apr 29, 2008, 11:29 PM
I know, its crazy! Buying a Mac got me away from MSN a few years back since MSN was crap, aMSN was gross to look at, and Mercury Messenger was hella slow... even though it *does* have webcam support.

MacManiac777
Apr 29, 2008, 11:50 PM
The MSN 6 application icon fitted better with the overall look and feel of Leopard and Tiger. First impression: *sigh* another substandard product from Microsoft.

cbrain
Apr 30, 2008, 01:06 AM
I read something awhile ago that personal accounts will get A/V once the windows version uses the new A/V stack.

EDIT: It says this on the blog post on the Microsoft blog entry for yesterday:

Speaking of Audio and Video support, in the blog post "A Chat about Messenger", posted back in November, I shared with you background information on why AV is not available yet in the Personal service. We are on track with the plan mentioned in the last post, as we are delivering Audio and Video on Corporate service first. We are making progress and working on the delivery of Audio and Video for the personal service and are looking forward to getting the feature out there and in your hands as soon as we can!

hidehide
Apr 30, 2008, 03:14 AM
Ok.. waited for messenger for mac 7 for a long time..
Everything just look the same as 6!!
Only new stuff is assign nickname (useless), a search bar for contact (still kinda useless.. how many people will online at a time? not that difficult to search and start a chat box with them)

Going back to the ugly aMSN.. but it has all functions.. nudge, webcam, offline message...

aranhamo
Apr 30, 2008, 02:21 PM

If only it actually worked. The best we've been able to do is get the Windows user to see our video, but we can't see theirs. And audio doesn't work for either side; we both have to record audio snippets and send them over, each taking turns. And that's when it doesn't completely crash.

Shadow
Apr 30, 2008, 05:28 PM
This is terrible! I was looking forward to webcamming on MSN too...

*back to adium*

Genghis Khan
Apr 30, 2008, 05:58 PM
So why did they bother calling it Msn 7...what does it do that is soo much better than 6?