PDA

View Full Version : How would you set this up?

OlBlueHair
Apr 30, 2008, 07:55 AM
Hi everybody. I have a new Mac Pro, stock 320 drive. I have been using an external 500 gig for video to stream to Apple TV. Now, I just got a 1TB internal seagate with 32 MB cache. I believe this is faster than the stock 320 drive.

Should I make this the start up drive? I was going to use it for video, or partition it and use Time Machine on part of it.

With this setup, what is the best way to go?

My main goal is to have Time Machine and room for video in a orderly setup.
What would you do?
Thanks!

GoCubsGo
Apr 30, 2008, 08:13 AM
Hi everybody. I have a new Mac Pro, stock 320 drive. I have been using an external 500 gig for video to stream to Apple TV. Now, I just got a 1TB internal seagate with 32 MB cache. I believe this is faster than the stock 320 drive.

Should I make this the start up drive? I was going to use it for video, or partition it and use Time Machine on part of it.

What would you do?
Thanks!

I'm hardly the authority on this but I think having your OS on the 320 and everything else on the 1TB wouldn't be such a bad idea.

krye
Apr 30, 2008, 08:30 AM

What would you do?
Thanks!

Don't use a partition for time machine if you're going to make it your startup volume. That kind of defeats the purpose if the drive dies. Use the 320 as you startup volume/apps. Use the 500 for data, and the 1T for Time Machine.

darthraige
Apr 30, 2008, 09:39 AM
I'm using the 320 as my Mac Startup and programs. Using a 250 for Windows XP, Using a 500 for random stuff, music, etc. And using another 250 for Time Machine. I only backup certain stuff that I want, so it never goes over 115 GB with that. Eventually I'll get a 1TB for Time Machine and backup everything. For all my video work I use externals, an 80, 200, and another 500.

OlBlueHair
Apr 30, 2008, 04:35 PM
Don't use a partition for time machine if you're going to make it your startup volume. That kind of defeats the purpose if the drive dies. Use the 320 as you startup volume/apps. Use the 500 for data, and the 1T for Time Machine.

Yeah, I meant partition it to use as part time machine/part video files for apple tv. I wasn't too clear, sorry.

I thought about just using the stock 320 for OS, the 1TB for videos and the external 500 for time machine, but I believe the 1TB is a faster drive. Is it that much faster, and is it worth cloning the drive over from the 320 and making some other kind of setup, or is the speed gain not that much.

Anybody know? Thanks!