PDA

View Full Version : He's Still Having Fun: Bill Gates, for one, thinks that the...

MacBytes
Nov 17, 2003, 09:54 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: He's Still Having Fun: Bill Gates, for one, thinks that the digital era is far from fading. In fact, he thinks itís only now getting interesting. (http://www.msnbc.com/news/993743.asp)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

1macker1
Nov 17, 2003, 10:04 AM
That's a good interview. I sorta grew up as a Bill Gates fan. His demeanor has always impressed me.

wdlove
Nov 17, 2003, 11:05 AM
I'm glad that Bill Gates is still having fun. I give him credit for, _"Gates says any tax break he gets will go into his foundation, which in turn will help society. 'Itís not like Iím going to buy more hamburgers or something'" The one major thing that he's got it wrong is that his company will lead the way with innovation. He is really describing Apple.

Qunchuy
Nov 17, 2003, 01:12 PM
from the article:
Itís very cool to have the R&D budget we have, the hardware advances we have and finally being able to say, ďOK, this decade we make so much of this real.Ē
This decade?? At the rate Microsoft is "innovating", they'll probably take half the decade to reinvent what Apple -- and other companies -- had last year. Granted, occasionally they do come out with a nifty feature first (fast user switching, for instance), but such things always seems to be so lacking in integration and general simplicity of use. And when they do integrate things tightly, it often seems to me that they're things that shouldn't really be integrated in the first place. The comments about Win FS bother me for that reason -- I do not want to access the files on my local hard disk as if they were on the Web. I do not want to treat my email like my drawings like my database forms like my programming projects like my music collection!

1macker1
Nov 17, 2003, 01:19 PM
They you shouldn't use WIN FS:)

Jimjiminey
Nov 17, 2003, 06:30 PM
But heís got no doubt about the ultimate destination: more innovation, with his own company leading the way, of course.

um, what have they innovated? Not to bash Microsoft, but i have yet to see a software product that made me sit up ans say OMG i need that program...

No offense, Bill, but foundations are a way for you really rich people to stay really rich. No taxes if you spend 1% of the interest generated by your "foundation".

Excuse me if i sound irritable...

radhak
Nov 17, 2003, 06:55 PM
this man is a conundrum.
as a person, he has gone way out to put his mark on society. his foundation (worth 24 billion last year, dunno how much it has grown since) must surely be one of the most admirable of its type. it is one place he seems to have realized the true value of life, money, what have you.

but as the head of the biggest tech company around, he seems to have his head in sand. he has forever said that MS is the leader of 'innovation', and he harps on that here too. what innovation? i personally feel an innovation is something that nobody else thought of before it happened, before it was shown to happen by any one person/organization. not something that is demanded by the whole world and then created as a reaction (protection from viruses, for example). making an operating system function according to specs is not innovation! nor is promising a user complete privacy on that OS and then not delivering it.
it is not necessary to create something from scratch. taking an existing, solid, OS like BSD and creating a beautiful graphical
interface for it is definitely innovative.

on second thoughts, maybe he is not fooled, but has to say such things publicly, seeing his position. i wonder, what does he think, personally ? :)

yamabushi
Nov 17, 2003, 07:06 PM
The money that he gives away through the Gates Foundation was stolen from consumers through overpriced products. I would rather decide for myself what the best use for my money is. Spending ill gottten cash on worthy causes does not make up for the way the money was obtained.

leet1
Nov 17, 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by yamabushi
The money that he gives away through the Gates Foundation was stolen from consumers through overpriced products. I would rather decide for myself what the best use for my money is. Spending ill gottten cash on worthy causes does not make up for the way the money was obtained.

Stolen from consumers? overpriced products? come on :rolleyes: He stole nothing and microsoft products are not overpriced.

radhak
Nov 17, 2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by yamabushi

well, that's a very robin-hoody way of looking at things. :rolleyes: 'ill-gotten' does not stick here.
MS products might be overpriced (or not), but thats not stealing. there is a market for it, so it gets sold at that price. if i come up with some product tomorrow and am able to sell it for $10,000 per piece at a 95% profit, it would still not be stealing. (aah, i wish ;) )

eg : steve jobs was interviewed recently and it was mentioned (dunno if steve said it or the commentator) that Apple makes a profit of at least $175 for each iPod sold. if that is not over-pricing, nothing is. at the same time, the market for iPod is not letting up; people keep buying. that's their choice. but if steve (or apple) were to spend some of that profit on a charitable cause, who's to complain? not me!

Nermal
Nov 17, 2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by leet1
Stolen from consumers? overpriced products? come on :rolleyes: He stole nothing and microsoft products are not overpriced.

Here in NZ, Panther costs $280, and XP Pro costs $735, and you say it isn't overpriced :rolleyes:. Even XP Home is $499!

leet1
Nov 17, 2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
Here in NZ, Panther costs $280, and XP Pro costs $735, and you say it isn't overpriced :rolleyes:

Yes, I say its not overpriced, and Im in the US.

http://www.freeovernightshipping.com/product.asp?3=410

:D

$735? thats crazy! lol, you could get a great brand new PC for that price!

Nermal
Nov 17, 2003, 08:40 PM
That price can't be legit! Is it really that cheap over there? I can hardly believe that!

BTW, that $735 is in NZ$, it's about US$465.

Speaking of new PCs, I got a catalogue from Dell in the mail, advertising a P4-2.26 for $1199 (US$755), but I can't find that model anywhere on their website. Looks like they're trying to trick us :eek: :confused:

MrMacMan
Nov 17, 2003, 10:23 PM
Have fun Bill...

Have fun...

:rolleyes: