Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laxmax613

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
i was browsing the guides when i saw that the classic should be updated soon and you shouldn't buy it. is there any evidence of an impending update? my ipod just died and i am debating on whether to buy a new one tomorrow.

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A
iPods are normally introduced/updated once a year in or around September. I would say you won't see anything huge on the next update except storage increase. I would say go for it and buy one now. You'll always be behind technology; waiting for the next best thing will leave you iPod-less for a long long time.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I would get an iPod touch.
The sad thing about the classic is I've only seen one person with one since they were introduced... But if you need the storage it's still a great iPod. (except coverflow is awful)

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Yes, if i had to own an iPod classic i would actually turn off cover flow... i prefer it normally. I still feel sad that i own an 80gb 5th gen tho.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
iPod Touch is a more compelling device than the Classic.

Plus the Nano does everything the classic does, but it's smaller and costs less.

So really, the only reason to buy the classic is if you need a huge amount of space.

The Grood

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Do buy a Classic if you're thinking of ripping your DVD library at some point.

I made the mistake of rushing out and buying a 16GB Touch last year - a great machine, but it's pricey and has limitations.

Since then I've ripped 120GB of movies and really wish I'd got the 160GB Classic instead.

So it depends on what you want it for. As for when, there's bound to be an autumn upgrade of some kind in time for the Xmas season if you can wait that long.

laxmax613

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Do buy a Classic if you're thinking of ripping your DVD library at some point.

i'd like to do this at some point. i also need a lot of storage, 25 gigs or music so far, and the 32 gig touch is WAY to expensive.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Well that's assuming you need all your movies with you all of the time.

With the Touch, you can sync two or three and watch them back on a larger screen.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
iPod Touch is a more compelling device than the Classic.

Plus the Nano does everything the classic does, but it's smaller and costs less.

So really, the only reason to buy the classic is if you need a huge amount of space.

The Nano is sexy as hell, but it's a worse deal than the Classic due to its small capacity. The larger Nano is $25 per GB while the lower end Classic is $3 per GB and the higher end is $0.45 per GB. Sure, that's not as important to everyone, but it would make me feel a little gypped. Plus, who couldn't use more storage space?

The Menacer

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
I'd go on eBay and try to get one of the 80GB last generation iPods (the video white/black). The classic's menus are really slow, cover flow sucks, the battery for video isn't as long, and the classic's click wheel is very temperamental.

The Grood

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Well that's assuming you need all your movies with you all of the time. With the Touch, you can sync two or three and watch them back on a larger screen.

Family wise, the ability to carry all the movies is great for longer journeys/holidays. Just plug and play on any TV including portable DVD player etc. So not stuck with the 2.5" screen.

That's say 160+ hours of movies/TV shows, plus 20GB of music with us wherever we go.

Pretty compelling. Hence wish I'd got the Classic.

RamenBooko

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I'm on the fence on getting a 160GB now, but WWDC is around the corner (sort of). I have a tonne of music, so I need the space. I think I can manage with my shuffle for now and just wait until an update rolls around.

I'm guessing a bump to 200GB or 250GB.

laxmax613

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
The drives that the Classic uses will be upgraded in the fall - 120 Gig (single platter) and 240 Gig (double platter).

30 is fine for me, for now, by the time i have enough stuff to fill 120, i'll get that.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I'd go on eBay and try to get one of the 80GB last generation iPods (the video white/black). The classic's menus are really slow, cover flow sucks, the battery for video isn't as long, and the classic's click wheel is very temperamental.

I have the 80GB 5th gen and it's also slow. It doesn't have coverflow, but the menus are annoying to navigate through. Personally, I would rather have the Classic.

Mushrooshi

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
I have the 80GB Classic, i am satified and happy with it. I watch A LOT of anime, and I put it on here.

4694.jpeg

The majority of audio is podcasts.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
i was browsing the guides when i saw that the classic should be updated soon and you shouldn't buy it. is there any evidence of an impending update? my ipod just died and i am debating on whether to buy a new one tomorrow.

I hear ya mate. I'd just decided the nano was the music player for me, but then I checked the buyer's guide and saw the bit about not buying it so now I'm not sure what I should do--buy now and risk getting pissed off at myself when they release say bigger capacity version in September and I can buy the same thing cheaper, or wait and go music-less for FOUR MONTHS :eek:!!! (well, I have my old cr@ppy creative muvo, but still...) And I'm sat here listening to Flogging Molly's latest, wondering how am I ever going to make it through four bleedin' months of this *sob*. I get cranky with no music lol.

Dunno what to do *helpless shrug* :eek:

Madame Defarge

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Bay Area
I hear ya mate. I'd just decided the nano was the music player for me, but then I checked the buyer's guide and saw the bit about not buying it so now I'm not sure what I should do--buy now and risk getting pissed off at myself when they release say bigger capacity version in September and I can buy the same thing cheaper, or wait and go music-less for FOUR MONTHS :eek:!!! (well, I have my old cr@ppy creative muvo, but still...) And I'm sat here listening to Flogging Molly's latest, wondering how am I ever going to make it through four bleedin' months of this *sob*. I get cranky with no music lol.

Dunno what to do *helpless shrug* :eek:

Buy a shuffle and sell it when the new nano comes in? You can get a 1GB for only 49 bucks now.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Buy a shuffle and sell it when the new nano comes in? You can get a 1GB for only 49 bucks now.

yeah thanks for the idea, and you're right, it is cheap as chips :) I would have done that except as an in-the-mean-time solution, I could always use my old Creative muvo. It's not much bigger in size and has a screen, can hold multiple playlists too. The thing is I was all set to get it and now I'm not sure whether I should buy it or wait. I also had a disastrous experiment earlier this year with one of them music phones which turned out to have been a bit of a fiasco really--the music player bit was awful and I ended up never using it, so had to sell the phone but guess what, within four months the price of it had gone down so much that even though I'd bought it with A LOT of rebate from the phone company, I still ended up losing about 80 bucks :eek::mad:. So now I tend to be a bit overly conservative with my money :) I got the cheapest phone I could find and am treading carefully on the ipod itself--I'm not going to skimp on the music player as it's kind of an essential item for me, but if I can get it cheaper, that would probably be wise (no refurbs where I am though, sadly, or I'd've been rocking by now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.