Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
Can someone tell me what the difference is between iMovie and iMovie HD? I have a new Canon HF10 and think I will be using one of these in the future. I'm just not understanding which one is better for what I might be doing - taking video of my baby and posting the on my .mac site.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Can someone tell me what the difference is between iMovie and iMovie HD? I have a new Canon HF10 and think I will be using one of these in the future. I'm just not understanding which one is better for what I might be doing - taking video of my baby and posting the on my .mac site.

it depends on what iLife you get... unless you're talking about iMovie HD '06 vs iMovie '08.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Apple got rid of the special effects in iMovie '08 (part of iLife '08).
They are still present in iMovie '06 (part of iLife '06), which came with my MacBook Pro (first generation). I'd use both of them, as '06 is great for the effects, but '08 is really neat for cutting etc.

EDIT: if you want to go more "pro" you might want to look into the FinalCut series. I don't have any experience with it though.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006

I look at it this way:

* If your destination medium is DVD, then you need to go iMovie HD ( 06 ).
iMovie 08 is terrible for making videos to deliver via iDVD.

* If your destination is Youtube or the web, you will find iMovie 08 very convenient. iMovie HD does fine with the web as your final destination too, especially when you use it through iWeb. You just need to knowa little mroe of the technical details.

I still prefer iMovie HD by far. I really hope they rename iMovie 08 into something else next revision and bring back iMovie HD. ( or beef up 08 considerably )

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
iMovie HD all the way

Will never use iMovie '08. They stripped it down to nothing. No timeline, no special effects, no cool openings or closings (themes). What a huge step backwards. Apple wants to push us all to FCP I guess.

iMovie '08 is just a dumbed down version for people who want to post crap videos on you tube.........

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Will never use iMovie '08. They stripped it down to nothing. No timeline, no special effects, no cool openings or closings (themes). What a huge step backwards. Apple wants to push us all to FCP I guess.

iMovie '08 is just a dumbed down version for people who want to post crap videos on you tube.........

And why shouldn't apple segment the market more in order to get more sales?

it's not like they took iMovie '06 from you they just gave you a whole new iMovie. So really I don't see your point.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
it's not like they took iMovie '06 from you they just gave you a whole new iMovie. So really I don't see your point.

It's been argued to death around here, but the point that I took from the debate was that the iMovieHD supporters really wished that Apple just built upon iMovieHD and added the cool new features of '08. Right now, iMovieHD is orphaned and there will be no new updates to it.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.