PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new iMac, should I reinstall the OS when the new RAM arrives?

thiagos
May 1, 2008, 02:38 AM
I just received my new 24" iMac 3.06Ghz.

I purchased 2x2GB (4GB RAM) online but it will only arrive on friday.

I have already setup my computer.

My question is, for an optimum performance, should I reinstall the entire OS after installing my new RAM?

I know I don't need to reinstall everything, I have always upgraded my own RAM but in terms of making the computer faster, should I reinstall the whole thing?

Thanks in advance.

VoodooDaddy
May 1, 2008, 02:57 AM
Reinstalling the OS because you added ram? Its not going to give you any "performance boost." Only upside to reinstalling is to leave out languages and print drivers you dont need to save a few gbs of hdd space.

richard.mac
May 1, 2008, 03:00 AM
nope! :)

just unscrew the RAM door on the bottom of the iMac and then slot in the RAM. but make sure you follow the directions (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084) properly. (directions for white Intel iMac are the same for the aluminium iMac)

James Howlett
May 1, 2008, 03:18 AM
from everything i know about installing ram you don't need to do anything but not have it turned on while doing it, oh and static discharge(touch something metal before you handle the ram or the computer)

Father Jack
May 1, 2008, 03:19 AM
Absolutely no need .. :)