PDA

View Full Version : Garageband 08

peejer
May 1, 2008, 07:49 AM
Hello All,

I am using Garageband 08 (4.1.2). I am unable to place my software loops into my song. I can hear the loops when I preview them, but as soon as I drag them up to my song I got a green box with nothing in it and then the box disappears.

However when i place a real music loop (the blue one) it works fine.

I have tried to create a new track and the same thing happens. I did discover that if I create a "basic" track then I can drag the loop into that track. This causes the loop to turn blue and then it plays fine within my track.

I have no idea....Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Old Fuzzface
May 3, 2008, 05:02 PM
Green loops are MIDI (software instrument) loops. Blue loops are audio (real instrument) loops.

You can drop a MIDI loop into an existing audio track (the loop will automatically be converted to audio for you) but you can't drop an audio loop into a MIDI track.

So green or blue loops will drop into a blue track but blue loops won't drop into a green track.

If in doubt, drop the loop you want into the area below your existing tracks and a new track of the correct type will be created for you.

peejer
May 5, 2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the response!

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough, which is my fault. But I did excatly what you described before I posted.

When I am in the loop browser and I select a MIDI (green) loop it plays fine within the loop browser. However, when I attempt to drag this to my song, the loop will create a new track, and then it pauses a minute and the loop disappears.

While trying to trouble shoot I manually added a MIDI track, dragged my loop and samething. I also manually added a real audio track and dragged my loop and it disappears.

When I create a new "basic" track, I can drag a MIDI loop from the browser and it works, however it turns the MIDI track from green to blue.

I am not new to GB. And this has not happened before. The one new addition that i've added is a M-Audio keyboard (usb) but I still have the problem even with this attached or not.

I even tried to index the loops again. Without success....

Old Fuzzface
May 6, 2008, 11:44 AM
Ah!

That does sound weird. So the problem only affects new MIDI tracks & your MIDI loops are being rendered OK when you drop them into an audio track. That suggests a MIDI related problem rahter than a loop library problem. If this only started when your keyboard was connected I'd be suspicious that something might have been installed or changed when your keyboard was hooked up and caused the problem.

Was there a driver installed with the keyboard? And can you create and record a new MIDI track from the keyboard?

peejer
May 6, 2008, 06:44 PM
I'll double check on the keyboard situation, it is the M-Audio keyboard USB, just plug n play so I don't think any drivers were added.

I like your thought about it possibly being a MIDI issue and will pursue this.

Thanks,
PJ