PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook 12 inch screen and Applecare

oscillatewildly
May 1, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hello,

Does Applecare cover the replacement of the backlight bulb and inverter board?

Looking at a PowerBook that has Applecare - The screen in the listing picture is not too bright. The seller has stated that all is well with the screen, but you never know. I am prepared to go for it if the Applecare covers the screen lighting.

Applecare cover on notebooks appears to be worldwide - If the screen lighting conks out overseas, I can get it fixed at the local Apple Store?

Thank you,
OW

vandozza
May 1, 2008, 08:45 AM
the 12" Powerbook is how many years old now?

It can't possibly still be eligible for applecare? Can it?

Adokimus
May 1, 2008, 10:18 AM
The screen is dim because it is fairly old and LCDs dim over time. Plus, you're looking at it in a picture from a posting on craigslist or ebay or something, which isn't a good representation, and the screen might be dim in the picture from inactivity. I doubt it in any way indicates that the screen will just stop working. But, have the seller send a few more pictures in higher res with daylight and at full-brightness just to be thorough. As far as Apple Care goes, I think a few of the absolute latest 12" PowerBooks sold still have Apple Care, which should protect you if the screen stops working (assuming it isn't due to external damage). I doubt, however, that Apple will replace the backlighting because it is dimmed. But, call them and find out. And find out the details on the Apple Care, I believe the last few remaining policies expire in October, which isn't much time. I could be wrong on that though. But, yeah, look into whether it is really still covered and decide if you can live with the dim screen, because it will only get dimmer while you own it.

aquajet
May 1, 2008, 02:09 PM
the 12" Powerbook is how many years old now?

It can't possibly still be eligible for applecare? Can it?

Yes. They were still being sold as late as 2006.

Adokimus
May 1, 2008, 04:07 PM
Yes. They were still being sold as late as 2006.

I don't remember for sure, but I believe they still had a refurb 12" 1.33 GHz model for sale on the US store in 2007. That would have also been eligible for Apple Care. I would have loved to have bought it, but it cost over $1,000 as a refurb... and this was after the switch to intel. It just didn't make sense.

Freyqq
May 2, 2008, 02:16 AM
my old 12" 1.5 ghz will be 3 y/o in about a month..so it is plausible