PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing: Multifunction or Printer?

terifc
May 1, 2008, 09:35 AM
Hi. I just purchased an iMac and am now on the hunt for a GOOD (actually, excellent) multifunction printer. Is there such a thing? I've read a number of mixed reviews and feeling somewhat confused with what to purchase.

At minimum, I need a fax and printer for work. Having the ability to scan would also be quite a boon, as I have a lot of old documents and photos that I would like to upload to my computer. Is it possible to have these features in one machine and still get excellent quality photos?

I'd love your suggstions!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Theresa

merl1n
May 1, 2008, 10:26 AM
Hi. I just purchased an iMac and am now on the hunt for a GOOD (actually, excellent) multifunction printer. Is there such a thing? I've read a number of mixed reviews and feeling somewhat confused with what to purchase.

At minimum, I need a fax and printer for work. Having the ability to scan would also be quite a boon, as I have a lot of old documents and photos that I would like to upload to my computer. Is it possible to have these features in one machine and still get excellent quality photos?

I'd love your suggstions!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Theresa

I recently purchased an HP Officejet Pro L7780 and I really love it. It has fax, color printing, scanning, color LCD, ethernet network and wireless network printing, auto duplex printing (print both sides of paper), auto duplex document feeder, two paper trays.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/C8192A%2523ABA/1?jumpid=in_r329_personalization/browse2/PDP_PDP

The L7590 is almost the same, but lacks the color LCD (uses a two line b/w LCD), wireless networking, and has one paper tray.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/CB821A%2523ABA/1?jumpid=in_r329_personalization/browse2/PDP_PDP

The reason I chose the L7780 was that it is on sale and only $50 more than the L7590. For all of the extra features, it was well worth the small increase in price.

Also, the quality (of both) is excellent and printing is extremely fast. Also HP released updated software and drivers for both this past February so if you go this route, install the updates.

mike12806
May 1, 2008, 10:27 AM
Just got a Canon PIXMA MP470 myself ,79 bucks through Best Buy or Staples, great little scanner/printer/copier. Has a nice little LCD screen that gives you ink levels and other info too. It's a glossy black color too, matches the new imacs well!

terifc
May 1, 2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks. I'll check them out.

B & H just recommended the Epson RX680. Wondering if anyone has any experience with it? I read some reviews; people seem to like it, but complain about how costly the ink is and that you have to use Epson paper for photos.