Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which console do you own/play most, or which would you buy?

• Sony Playstation 3

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Microsoft XBOX 360

Votes: 28 34.6%

• Total voters

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I was wondering what console people prefered. Three options are for the almighty powerful PS3, the i-need-to-pay-to-play-online xbox 360 or the small and fun Wii.
Sony Playstation 3
ps3_front_main.jpg

Nintendo Wii
wii.JPG

Microsoft XBOX 360
Xbox360full_500x526.jpg

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Uh-oh.

But since this thread is going right to hell and back - I picked Wii. All the gamer in me wants is a Wii and high end PC, all the 360 games I'm interested in seem to come to PC but with free online play and servers that don't get shut off after a few years. And there's nothing on the PS3 yet that has me interested.
Oh but my DS, GBA and PSP gather more gaming hours than any console.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Here we go.

PS3 all the way. Okay, I'll admit that the 360 and Wii blew the PS3 out of the water 2006 and 2007, but if you haven't noticed, 2008 is now. Here's what the 360 has coming this year that has been getting attention (Correct me as I will likely make a mistake or two): Ninja Gaiden 2 (most people don't care), Fable 2 (pretty cool), Gears of War 2 (Best title for the 360 this year IMO), and maybe Halo Wars. It seems to me that the 360 blew it's load last year, since all the best titles are already out there and becoming older day by day, like Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc.

For the Wii: Every one of my friends who have a Wii have the same story. They loved it at first, but now it is boring and they only play PS3/360. This year the Wii has Brawl, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, uh, I think that is it. I wish you could rent consoles, because this is the one I would rent rather than buy.

PS3: I bought the PS3 late last year knowing good and well how much better the 360 was. But since I don't care about that anymore and the best PS3 titles are just around the corner, I am glad I went this route. As for Games, I don't want to list them all here so please see this list for all of them. But big names include Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy 13, Resistance 2, Haze, Little Big Planet, and a bunch more.

More on the PS3: Free online play. Xbox Live is better today, but this will be answered in Home. Also, if you get a 360, have fun having a hi definition disk player. Oh wait... there isn't one. And have fun having WiFi... oh wait, that costs almost 100$. Not to mention Home is coming out, which will include countless cool things like an Achievements clone, entire online community like second life, and movie/music sharing up the wazzoo. I'll add more stuff as people quote me and complain how biased I am (I'm not, I like the 360 and would have bought one without a doubt if today were May 1st one year ago.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I picked the 360 because no one picked it yet... :D

My PS3 is a great Blu-ray movie player (at least I only paid $299 after a Sony rebate)... when does Sony plan on releasing games for it? :eek:

Mario 6,302 (or whatever number Nintendo is on) for Wii is a great game - again... :p

I prefer the Atari 2600.... :eek:

(runs for cover...)

JoshLV

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that the OP is a little bit of a PS3 f-a-n-b-o-y. The PS3 is awesome, but the only exclusives that remotely interest me are F1 2007, GT5, and MGS4 <3. I'm all Xbox, baby.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Wii because the other consoles are trying WAY too hard to be like a PC, if I had to choose between the 360 and the PS3... hmm, I don't know, maybe the PS3, all the good games on the 360 come to the PC anyways (and PLAY better on the PC since they are all shooters).

The Wii is a nice console but it has failed to revolutionize anything, it's just same ol Nintendo with the incredibly amazing 1st party games and not much besides that.

I'm tempted to buy a console for GTAIV but I think I'm just going to wait until it gets a PC release.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
360 for me,

Purely because in my circle of friends it's what we all have, I'd personally rather have a PS3, but then i'd have to play on my own, or with complete strangers :eek:

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
I got a launch Wii but it seems to be getting harder to find good games for the Wii. It's just a bunch of junk. But at least the 1st party games are still great! A couple months ago I got a PS3 and love it. Games are great and I've been having a lot of fun playing MGO this week.

Retired
May 16, 2006

I don't like keyboard and mouse gaming, I don't want to buy a desktop/expensive laptop, I like to stream video and audio because without my TV, all I have is the MB screen and crappy speakers.

Also, Halo is awesome. Sure I wish I could get MGS, but nothing on the Wii appeals apart from the cool 5 minutes of waving the WiiMote I can get at other peoples' houses.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I own all three, but the 360 gets the most play by far. I play a lot of Guitar Hero on the Wii (no, I didn't buy it) though. Don't even have the PS3 at home right now, I loaned it to a friend so it would get turned on once in a while. Maybe once more games (MGS4, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, etc) come out that I actually want to play, it'll get used more.

But the Xbox 360 is the champ in my home.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
In terms of fun* value:

Wii > PS3 > 360

In terms of technical capability, graphics, multimedia functions, etc:

PS3 > 360 > Wii

Get the one that has the most games that appeal to you. I adore Nintendo's first party titles, hence the Wii's my system of choice, but PS3 would come in second.

*"Fun" varies very much on personal taste. This is based on my own. Yours may vary.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
My PS3 is a great Blu-ray movie player (at least I only paid $299 after a Sony rebate)... when does Sony plan on releasing games for it? :eek:

When are you going to start buying them? I have a whole list of PS3 games I want to get when I eventually get one.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
I have a 360 and a Wii. Considering getting a PS3 for Blu Ray and Metal Gear.

For the record... I play COD4 on the 360 and Mario Kart on the Wii.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can not vote. All three equally. There are at times when I will stop playing one or two of them and concentrate on a particular machine, but that's only because of games, and the particular machine can change.

But at this moment in particular all three are getting an equal bashing.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE GAMES

this past month I've mostly been playing..

Wii - WiiFit, MarioKart
360 - Viking Battle of Asgard, Condemned 2
PS3 - GTA4, Dark Sector, Lair (with the analogue patch)

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
intersting... with the wii, after reading what was posted it was like deja vu. poeple like it at first but then get really bored with it. also a few said that they would still have the ps3 and one or two said ps3 but have 360 because friends have it.

still i prefer the ps3 mainly because its the most advanced machine. it will last untill about 2013 or there abouts. whereas the wii and 360, well lets just expect a wiiII and a xbox 720 or whatever they call it at the latest of 2010. also the bluray on the sony is quite good, better than sonys sluggish standalone player.#

but somthing that is relaly good is being able to play with 7 people on the same machine. playing a football game (even thought i dislike the game) is really fun, especially after a few pints. cant do that on the 360 or wii (well the wii you would just fall over if you are drunk), and the PC, well thats just crap for anything except shooting games

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm totally digging the turbo Graphix 16 right now....its is the most power of all the current gen systems out. Come on who don't like SNK games....loviful.

Seriously all the console have some good games out now...its just a matter of taste in games.

My personal playing habit(given the games that are out now) goes as follows: PS3(Daily)--Wii(3 times per week)---Xbox360(twice per month)

Bless

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Man this thread is going hell and be locked before you know it.

Playstation 3 for me.

Don't flame me, I have a 360 hooked up using VGA cables and a Wii with component cables to get the best quality out of all of them.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Man this thread is going hell and be locked before you know it.

Playstation 3 for me.

Don't flame me, I have a 360 hooked up using VGA cables and a Wii with component cables to get the best quality out of all of them.

I really want some better cables for my wii... still use the standards on my 1080i tv... Anyway, this thread isn't that bad yet

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
It's the Wii for me.

I just prefer Nintendo's approach to gaming with the Wii. Enhancing the experience rather than the graphics. I will never be able to play a racing game ever again without a wheel. :)

It also comes down to what my wife would like too. I'm not going to buy a console just for myself that she won't enjoy. We're having a blast playing Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers!

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
I own the older "trio" (sony, micro$oft, nintendo) and well, the XBOX gathered (is still gathering) dust, the gamecube brought hundreds of hours of family/friends entertainment and the PS2 brought the 'gamer' inside of me. I now own only the Wii and the PS3 and Im not planing to buy the XBOX 360. I voted PS3 'cause is the shizznit period; high-def gaming OOB, high-def playback, love the controls, user-upgradable HDD, 256VRAM, etc.

Victor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.