Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagikMonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2008
I want to buy an iPod Touch, but I've heard that there may be a new model released by the end of the year.

Obviously I don't want to buy the Touch only to see a new version released a few months later, resulting in a price drop of the original. Also, I was wondering if Apple will be releasing a new version of the current Touch, e.g. 60GB model.

I suppose in a nutshell I'm trying to find out if there's any reason at all I should hold out on buying an iPod Touch. Any help would be much appreciated!

Retired
May 16, 2006
According to the buyers guide, its mid-cycle. I guess it will go to 64GB either in June or September.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
i doubt we will see a change for the ipod touch til september and even then i dont see its capacity growing to too much if at all. To expensive at the moment to fit a 64 in that.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
It would probably be in September with the rest of the iPods, but you never know. It would also get a 64 GB drive, and hopefully we'll see the iPhone go 32GB.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I can see a new model with more storage in the near future but I don't think there will be a new design with new features anytime soon. I think they would rather work on improving the current model with applications.

The thing is just one big glass screen with one home button after all. Anything extra can just be added to the touch screen as an application. :p

BTW, unless you think you need more than 32GB then I say pick one up now. I recently got a 16GB and I'm very happy with the purchase. I have lots of room for music and pictures. I don't really think I will use the video function much but you never know. ;)

MagikMonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2008
BTW, unless you think you need more than 32GB then I say pick one up now. I recently got a 16GB and I'm very happy with the purchase. I have lots of room for music and pictures. I don't really think I will use the video function much but you never know. ;)

Thanks for all the replies so far, they're great. This one just reminded me to ask: how much space do third-party applications take up? I have a 30GB Zen Vision:M at the moment and have maybe 3GB free. So how much memory is required to download a few of the more useful apps? Thanks!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Obviously I don't want to buy the Touch only to see a new version released a few months later, resulting in a price drop of the original.
Well, if recent Apple history says anything, you won't see a price drop in the original so much as having the new model replace the original model (at the same or similar price point).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.