Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepctp

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
just north of Toronto, Canada
I have an old Mac (7500 G3) and an old video camera. I have A/V capabilities on this old girl but truly lack the knowledge of how to simply take a pic with the video and have it save on the Mac.

I REALLY appreciate any of you gurus out there that can bring me up to speed on this.

Thanks, and I will wait for the expected laughs and cries of shame on me...

:) MP

mikepctp

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
just north of Toronto, Canada
As your honorable Premier quoted... hehehe

I have yet to "import" and watch the video... I only actually wish to use the video as a camera and use some sort of software (as yet unknown to me) to capture an image just like a digital camera would... only using the computer.

Do I make sense to you (because now I am not sure I make sense to me)?

Thanks and I love your country...

MP

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
I used to do this on my 7600 using the apple video player.
I think saving frames as pix was as simple as dragging them to the desktop.

Quicktime pro can also export a frame as a picture file.(or whatever you want)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
While we're talking video camera's what is the most bang for the buck in the Apple Store? I would like something that can gen' good high res pictures from a frame as well. Thanks in advance.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
My sony TRV38($899) accepts memory sticks and takes decent 1Mpixel still shots.
It's not a replacement for a good digital camera, but it's quick and easy to get a combination of matching HQ stills and DV for the same project.
ie: the photo feature is best used for compositing with DV, rather than for print output IMO.

The nice thing about this camcorder is the Zeiss lens and excellent DSP are much better than you'll find in most low-mid priced digital cameras, and it also has manual focus and nightshot capacities.
The controls are located on the LCD touchscreen, rather than as a bank of separate little buttons on the body of the camera.
Also, the inputs and outputs are all nicely grouped together under a single panel.

Works perfectly with all iLife apps, and Final Cut in Panther. I've also successfully ripped analog video into the mac with it.

Overall, my only real complaint is that the camera must be removed from the tripod to change the tape.
Otherwise, it's an excellent piece of engineering and a good value.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Originally posted by Cooknn
While we're talking video camera's what is the most bang for the buck in the Apple Store? I would like something that can gen' good high res pictures from a frame as well. Thanks in advance.

Don't buy 3rd party hardware or software form the apple store since you pay through the nose. Just some friendly advice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.