PDA

View Full Version : Mac Rack Photo

arn
May 8, 2002, 05:52 PM
A Photo from the WWDC Keynote has surfaced...

AppleInsider Forums (http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001633) and RumorTracker (http://www.rumortracker.com) have a photo of the unit...

Per comments, it seems authentic... but there's some question if the photo only represents a center portion of the entire unit.

lucs
May 8, 2002, 06:00 PM
OMGthat looks so awesome
looks like its gonna have 4 processors

it's brushed metal, isn't it?!?!

MacAztec
May 8, 2002, 06:04 PM
Looks great! I think I want one!

voicegy
May 8, 2002, 06:06 PM
Yum!:cool:

Clean, cool, shiny, silver style. I'd even put a damn rack on my desk to house that baby!

(geesh, am I (we) sick puppies or what?!)

gralem
May 8, 2002, 06:06 PM
...Very authentic. I was sitting about 15 rows back...right behind the media. There was only a center video display on the stage, which you can see here. Other stage features include 2 glowing white apples (1 on either side of the screen) and a table stage left with a mac setup for all of the "Jag-Wire" demos (quoting steve's pronunciation).

---gralem

eyelikeart
May 8, 2002, 06:08 PM
hmm...where's mischief?! :confused:

he's gonna ***** his pants when he gets wind of this...he he he ;)

mischief
May 8, 2002, 06:16 PM
I want one dammit.

screw that I want SIX!!!!:D

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2002, 06:22 PM
I beat arn by 2 minutes but he closed my thread. :(

Oh well. I'm digging the industrial chic aspect...

Let's just hope the insides perform as well as the outsides look. :D

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 06:29 PM
WOW, much slimmer than I expected, very cool. I wish I could get one, but I'd have to buy a rack, etc.

I think I'll wait for the new desktops.:D

mc68k
May 8, 2002, 07:02 PM
This couldn't have been what the "proto" motherboard had to do with, because of the case design. That board had a AGP slot which I don't think a rack server would have a use for (height reasons).

My bet's still on the G4. Probably will have multiple G4's, but I don't think that they would release a new processor, even for a rack, outside of Macworld. After all, they can cluster them, right?

Macmaniac
May 8, 2002, 07:23 PM
It looks very cool and professional! Is this the face of new things to come because I hope it is! This is so cool! What a great week!

Beej
May 8, 2002, 07:27 PM
Guys, c'mon, it's a beige box with a silver Apple on the front! I really don't think it's that cool...

I am looking forward the seeing what that little baby is packin', though!

peterjhill
May 8, 2002, 08:02 PM
Man, this is way more exciting than episode II. As for AGP, rack servers typically have either onboard video (which can be AGP, look at the Powerbook) or have riser cards and mount the cards sideways.

I hope to hell that those bottom two sections are for hotswap disk arrays. yum!!!

They look so beautiful. Way cooler than anything from big blue.

macstudent
May 8, 2002, 08:05 PM
Do you think that these machines will be hot to the touch if they are running all of the time?

mc68k
May 8, 2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by macstudent
Do you think that these machines will be hot to the touch if they are running all of the time?

Not hot, but warm. That's a good thing. Have you sen the CoolerMaster cases? They act like a giant heatsink. If the metal case is warm, it's doing its job.

iH8Quark
May 8, 2002, 08:14 PM
ren-der-farm...ren-der-farm...ren-der-farm

:D

Finally!!!

(I won't be complaining about speed anymore...I promise) ;)

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
Not hot, but warm. That's a good thing. Have you sen the CoolerMaster cases? They act like a giant heatsink. If the metal case is warm, it's doing its job.

You have learned well...young Padawan...:D

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Beej
Guys, c'mon, it's a beige box with a silver Apple on the front! I really don't think it's that cool...

Have you ever seen rack computers? This thing will standout so much compared to anything else. You'd walk up and have to reach out and touch it.....

peterjhill
May 8, 2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Have you ever seen rack computers? This thing will standout so much compared to anything else. You'd walk up and have to reach out and touch it.....

I just hope it doesn't collect fingerprints like the Tibook cases do :D

mc68k
May 8, 2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Rack servers are ugly and meant to be locked away. But that's where Apple specializes. In their current design rampage, even a rack server has to look good. They've got a repuation to uphold and their products show it.

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Beej

I am looking forward the seeing what that little baby is packin', though!

Not beige...metal....sexy...

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by lucs

maybe a stupid question but how can you tell?

G4scott
May 8, 2002, 08:46 PM
If there is someone here extremely rich, I want them to do this... Buy about 500 of these things... Then get a big 'supercomputer' room, like where you always see massive computers housed. Then, just make an aisle with 250 servers on each side... That would look impressive... Even more impressive than a bunch of dells. They would look like space-age computers...

I wonder if they'll do clustering, and if so, how would they connect? I know that there are ways to setup a render farm over a network, but if you could daisy-chain these suckers together with a special, high bandwidth cable coming from a PCI card, that would totally kick @$$ And if they had up to 4 processers each, the scenario above would have 2000 G4 processors!!!! Of course, I don't think clustering would support that many, but just the thought of it is cool...

PS, after whoever it is that can accomplish this scenario, just remember to think of the guy who gave you the idea when you're looking for something to do with some of those servers... :D

Backtothemac
May 8, 2002, 09:06 PM
I cannot wait! Lets see.... if I sell my iMac, iBook, car, wedding ring, lawn mower, fake injury at Wal Mar, and sell m wifes body, then I might be able to get one :p ;) :D :p ;) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :eek: :p

I really hope that they are in a decent price range, and kick A$$. Hey what if they use embedded G5's?

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by lucs

maybe a stupid question but how can you tell?

peterjhill
May 8, 2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by G4scott I wonder if they'll do clustering, and if so, how would they connect? I know that there are ways to setup a render farm over a network, but if you could daisy-chain these suckers together with a special, high bandwidth cable coming from a PCI card, that would totally kick @$$ [/B]

First off, Happy birthday G4scott!

You should definitely check out www.beowulf.org/ (http://www.beowulf.org/) and get your university to strap together some old computers they have lying around.

as for "How would they connect?" Gigabit Ethernet, that's how, only if fast ethernet wasn't fast enough.
You could get a Cisco 6513 with a switch fabric module and a bunch of 16 port gigE copper blades, and you could have some serious network capacity! 10Gig Ethernet is already out, but it does not make much sense (to tell you the truth, due to the fact that each module on a 6500 switch has a maximum capacity of 8gigbits/sec if it needs to go across the backplane, there are some limitations.

Get your cluster and run the setiathome command line on all the boxes and sign em up for team macrumors.com :D

tjwett
May 8, 2002, 09:19 PM
i believe a recent rumor said they would start at $899. who knows...would these babies be capable of running an OS, like a regular machine? i'd love to have a rackmount to take to gigs. it would be so much more solid than my Tibook.

shadowfax0
May 8, 2002, 09:23 PM
G4Scott, actually everyone...Remember that Red MB pic off Ebay, remember that 'Mysterious port' If that's gigawire, you could connect all these by that, and wow. Or you could just use the gigabit ethernet that's built in :) Anyhow back to you G4Scott ::laughs evily:: No j/k, go to Google and type in 'Appleseed' and you shall see that monsterous power of the G4. These dudes in Portugal have that largest one with 14 nodes (onyl 14! The other guy was talking about 250!!), all DP 450's and they do live renderations of plasma and toehr particle physics. Also these other dudes, [there are alot on the site, i can't really cite because I forget, all I can say is read] used it for calculating some part of how neutron stars react with each other. I believe it was only a part though, beccause the dudes at Columbia do it and they have like 4 Cray SV1's or whatever the newest hottest ones are working on it, and it takes THEM along time. Anyhow, the Appleseed is a good alternative if you need a 'cheap' supercomputer :) Anyone wanna pool some cash for Team MacObserver
Seti?? :D

fix - Did I say Team MacObserver? I meant Team MacRumors of course! ;)

shadowfax0
May 8, 2002, 09:28 PM
This is for the ultra-laxed of us who find typin too hard. Here's the link for the Appleseed's benchmarks.

http://exodus.physics.ucla.edu/appleseed/benchmarks.html

shadowfax0
May 8, 2002, 09:32 PM
Ahh! I can't get enough of this! Here's the picture :D :

G4scott
May 8, 2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by peterjhill

First off, Happy birthday G4scott!

Thanks, but I thought tomorrow was my birthday (the 9th)... :) Thanks anyways...

What Apple needs, is an NOS that can automatically detect when a computer is clustered, and lets the OS take full power of the setup... now that would be cool... Even if just the plain MacOS could do that... I could use the power of my G4 from my iBook! That would rock...

elgruga
May 8, 2002, 10:34 PM
Now if we can afford the software necessary to move our operations to OSX from 9, and if the iRack (!) isnt too expensive (!), we may get two of these......
If we can sell our 3 G3 B and W servers......which once seemed so cool.....

marco114
May 8, 2002, 11:22 PM
This was posted on SpyMac in the photo gallery by a user, looks a little fake, but you never know:

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/data/92rackmountserver.jpg

iH8Quark
May 8, 2002, 11:36 PM
you know i was thinking about it...it doesn't look like the new server has removable or hot swapable drives. If that picture from WWDC is legit. Maybe they're going to sell a RAID array as well.

Anyone have any thoughts?

zed
May 9, 2002, 01:03 AM
i need 495 more posts to be able to add a pic to my signature....

guess ill have to start speaking up more!

zed

mc68k
May 9, 2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by zed
i need 495 more posts to be able to add a pic to my signature....

guess ill have to start speaking up more!

zed

Yeah, 0.06 posts per day. You'll have to get that # up. We'd love to hear from you. Just try to add to the conversation at hand, MR is an open forum with open people.

The Bender
May 9, 2002, 02:49 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by marco114
This was posted on SpyMac in the photo gallery by a user, looks a little fake, but you never know:[/QUOTE

The Bender hopes above all hope that it's not real, and judging from its source, he'll be just fine. That thing is huge! What happened to the 1U rumor? It also looks like it's made out of the stuff in the middle of Kendal Mint Cake.

And you're right about it's false appearance, too.

Man, even I've got a better looking rack than that!

McFreggle
May 9, 2002, 03:15 AM
Hey,

For all you guys saying 'wow this is beautiful' or 'outch it's ugly': it's just a rack mount!

Rack mounts are supposed to be in a closed rack, far away in a large computer room (I should know, 'cause we have a lot of racks at work (mostly Dells and IBM's)), and I honestly think most of ya' people will never ever need a rack mount, so I hope noone here will buy a rack mount "just to have one".

They're supposed to be compact and functional. Not beautiful.

(Of course, it's always nice when they're beautiful... ;))

k.

ntg
May 9, 2002, 04:02 AM
Who says rack-mount servers should be ugly to go in closed racks? We use glass doors, and these will look excellent... (I just need to convince management to buy a couple - maybe I could sell it on looks alone):D :confused:

iGav
May 9, 2002, 04:18 AM
If you put stacks of them together, then I think they remind me of HAL in 2001 and 2010, you know the room, where you can turn HAL on and off....... similar venting styles.....

I think Apple are on a bit of a 2001 oddessy with their design at the moment, so everything has that real clean and modern, yet futuristic look about them...

I like........ :D

peterjhill
May 9, 2002, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by G4scott
I could use the power of my G4 from my iBook! That would rock...

Yeah, I would like to see Apple follow Microsoft and add a Remote Desktop client with every copy of OSX. Ad the functionality of Windows Terminal Server, where you can have a bunch of people logged into the same server, each with their own desktops.

This gives a good reason to have a rack with lots of procs. Why would you want to do this? It would allow you to run OSX on older Macs with a fast network connection. Where would it be useful? Libraries for one, I know a few that use Terminal servers for their public computers.

blakespot
May 9, 2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by peterjhill

Yeah, I would like to see Apple follow Microsoft and add a Remote Desktop client with every copy of OSX. Ad the functionality of Windows Terminal Server, where you can have a bunch of people logged into the same server, each with their own desktops.

This would let Apple remove the video hardware from the Mac rack, which would be a plus.

blakespot

britboy
May 9, 2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by marco114
This was posted on SpyMac in the photo gallery by a user, looks a little fake, but you never know:

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/data/92rackmountserver.jpg

ha ha ha! Ask ensign paris about that one (he's a member here).

That's a mock-up he did a few months ago:D :rolleyes:

mcrain
May 9, 2002, 09:01 AM
The picture of the rackmount on the screen at the WWDC makes it look like it is either all metal or white with metal. That would explain why all of the connectors on the back of the red motherboard from ebay had white insides.

blakespot
May 9, 2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by mcrain
The picture of the rackmount on the screen at the WWDC makes it look like it is either all metal or white with metal. That would explain why all of the connectors on the back of the red motherboard from ebay had white insides.
The motherboard on eBay is obviously not the motherboard for these racks. Did you note the 4 PCI + 1 AGP slot on that board? There is no room in a rack-mount case for cards to sit in those slots! The Apple rack may end up not being 1U, but it's definitely not a full-height (tower width) rack mount unit, which would be required for slot arrangement like that.

In slim rack units, if there is a slot, there is usually one or two side-oriented slots (PCI card would run parallel to the motherboard). I am guessing there will be 1 PCI slot in the rack, side oriented.

blakespot

voicegy
May 9, 2002, 10:59 AM
Shocking news! Gateway "cow" advises CEO on new server specs! Company beats competition with amazing Uniblab Rack Server, where the Server is actually the Rack! Apple stock nosedives!

Omad0n
May 9, 2002, 01:55 PM
This may be the wrong place to post this. But since I'm still new to this Froum I wasn't sure (and a bit to lazy) to figure out how to tell you directly... My girlfriend has a tattoo of your icon on her back. Also I like the look of the rackmount server.

Steve

mcrain
May 9, 2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by blakespot

The motherboard on eBay is obviously not the motherboard for these racks. Did you note the 4 PCI + 1 AGP slot on that board? There is no room in a rack-mount case for cards to sit in those slots! The Apple rack may end up not being 1U, but it's definitely not a full-height (tower width) rack mount unit, which would be required for slot arrangement like that.

In slim rack units, if there is a slot, there is usually one or two side-oriented slots (PCI card would run parallel to the motherboard). I am guessing there will be 1 PCI slot in the rack, side oriented.

blakespot

It was "supposedly" (key word here being supposedly) a pre-production prototype. If so, it could have been one of any number of mock ups they did to test things and to use to decide what final form they would use. The reason the white in the plugs is important is because it shows what sort of exterior theme they had in mind when designing the "box." If the plugs were black or grey or some color, that would also be telling.

My only point is that the plugs on the "maybe" proto server board were white, and now, we have a pic of a rackmount server that looks either white with chrome, or all metal.

It just gives the proto-board a tiny bit more credibility because its plugs aren't a completely different color scheme than what's being released.

outZider
May 9, 2002, 05:39 PM
Bout time they replace those towers over there (http://www.forest.net/cams). ;)

- oZ

Coitus
May 9, 2002, 05:51 PM
Apple's always made computers that looked good.

You might say they've always had a pretty face.

Now they've got a nice rack too.

I hope it's stuffed full of sillycon (sic).

Coitus

Think anybody will yell "show us your rack" to Steve on stage at the launch

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by outZider
Bout time they replace those towers over there (http://www.forest.net/cams). ;)

- oZ

Whoa x2

1 for the fact that you just posted for the 1st time and you've been a member since June 2000! That's amazing man, what made you do it.

2. think of all the space they'll save. They have to be eagerly awaiting the 14th.

Good to see you on the board. Have you been lurking the whole time or have you just come back after a long vacation?

G4scott
May 9, 2002, 10:10 PM
My guess about that red mobo, is that its not for Apple's new rack servers. Just a guess. Unless, Apple is making servers for pros who want to cluster computers for sheer power (like 3d modeling, and stuff like that...)

OR!!! Here's a thought...

Servers with high-bandwidth airport.
iBooks with high bandwidth airport, and a touch screen that you can swivel, and close so that the screen is facing up, and you can use it as a tablet PC, and it runs like a terminal from the server (although it does do some/most processing, it can use the server for stuff like storage of apps and stuff... Just a weird random guess... I doubt it will actually happen, but I just needed something to say... I needed to post today...

slipjack
May 10, 2002, 01:47 AM
Rackmounts are the first thing that Apple has done that has suprised me in a long time. I suppose you could say that's the opposite of disappointed... like I felt after the imac 2 came out. (I had bought into the 'new desktop' rumors.)

Suprise 1: Apple semi-announced ahead of time.

Suprise 2: The rumor sites didn't have diddly. And even when they did I didn't believe a word of it.

Suprise 3: Apple Rackmount?? Whoaaaa. It'll be like those Bondi iMac Rackmounts, but ... better... just a little :D

ibjoshua
May 10, 2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by McFreggle
Hey,

For all you guys saying 'wow this is beautiful' or 'outch it's ugly': it's just a rack mount!

Rack mounts are supposed to be in a closed rack, far away in a large computer room (I should know, 'cause we have a lot of racks at work (mostly Dells and IBM's)), and I honestly think most of ya' people will never ever need a rack mount, so I hope noone here will buy a rack mount "just to have one".

They're supposed to be compact and functional. Not beautiful.
k.

hear hear
couldn't agree more

i can't help thinking that most of the folks in here have never been in a server room. they don't need to be pretty, just reliable. pretty costs money.
apple have made a basic faceplate for a rackmount server not some consumer toy.
i doubt very much that they give a damn what colour the inside of the ports are or whether we like the look of these machines for that matter.

this is about as close as apple gets to pure functionality.

p.s. don't get all excited and buy one. it'll have a low end graphics card and would not make an ideal personal computer.

Tiauguinho
May 10, 2002, 01:18 PM
Just a simple thought... If Apple releases the G5 with the servers, the PowerMac sales would just stop, because everybody would just wait for the G5 to come to the "Pro" machines... If this baby comes with a G5 then we'll see a revision in the PowerMac... A QuickSilver with a asskicking G5!!!!!!

Intel and AMD... Come and get some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gambit
May 10, 2002, 01:36 PM
I hope they have a different case design for the G5 but if they don't its OK:)

jenkij
May 10, 2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by i_b_joshua

hear hear
couldn't agree more

i can't help thinking that most of the folks in here have never been in a server room. they don't need to be pretty, just reliable. pretty costs money.
apple have made a basic faceplate for a rackmount server not some consumer toy.
i doubt very much that they give a damn what colour the inside of the ports are or whether we like the look of these machines for that matter.

this is about as close as apple gets to pure functionality.

p.s. don't get all excited and buy one. it'll have a low end graphics card and would not make an ideal personal computer.

I have been in and created many server rooms where looks are very important, they figure since they are spending the money, they might as well showcase the investment.

Ensign Paris
May 11, 2002, 05:50 AM
Looks nice, I think its 2u deep or possibly 4u. I have permission to look into buying new servers for work, this looks like a winner!

Ensign

ibjoshua
May 11, 2002, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by jenkij

I have been in and created many server rooms where looks are very important, they figure since they are spending the money, they might as well showcase the investment.

i did say 'most'
however point taken. you must agree with me, server rooms may need to look impressive but they don't need to look like works of art.

i think it will be an interesting experiment to see how apple is assessed as a manufacturer of quality achitecture and software and not just makers of "pretty" stuff.

BigBen
May 11, 2002, 07:19 AM
Why did I youst buy e Wintel Server, youst to have rackmount??:(

eric_n_dfw
May 11, 2002, 09:21 AM
The high-end rackmounts, for the most part are good looking, examples:
Sun Fire V100: http://store.sun.com/images/product_images/Sun_Fire_V100_Server.Image_1.UE.jpg
Sun Fire 280R: http://store.sun.com/images/product_images/Sun_Fire_280R_Server.Image_1_2.UE.jpg
SGI Origin 300: http://www.sgi.com/origin/300/images/origin300_rackmnt.jpg

Compaq, HP, IBM are all, debatably, ugly in comparision (although IBM is the least ugly of the 3 IMHO)

I think Apple is going to try to work it's way into the middle of the two - cool looking like the high-ends, but priced like the low ends. And given the power of the AltiVec chipset, they would be able to run with some of the big dogs on render farms and the like.

While I doubt we'll see individual machines to compete with the 32+ processor beasts Sun and SGI have, I'd be willing to bet Apple's got a clustering solution that could be more cost effective than those.

BTW: Even though it's not very stylish, the Compaq BL Servers are seriously cool looking with all those blade PC's in such a small box!
3U Case: http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/platforms/images/index-photo-bl.jpg
Individual BL10e "Blade":http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/proliant-bl/e-class/images/bl-eclass-photo.jpg

According to Compaq (http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/proliant-bl/e-class/index.html), they can fit upto 280 of those servers in a standard 42U rack! Imagine an Apple "Blade" solution like that - 280 little chrome Apple logos and little cool blue LED's humming along rendering the next Pixar movie!