Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Over a couple of years now, on occasion, I have burned and then imported as mp3s some music that I wanted to have on an ibook that I still use but is so old that I don't really trust it to carry an authorization any more. I thought that was a good solution to the problem of still wanting some music on that machine, which mostly has recipes and a few web clips on it.

How I made the mp3s was burn a playlist to audio CD on one of my auth'd machines, import it back as mp3s but not replace the originals so I could get the tags into the files, then delete them from the iTunes library to the trash, fish them out of the trash and offload them to a flash drive and stick them on the ibook and add them to that library. They work fine on the ibook. I am not sure I ever loaded an ipod from them, probably not. I don't know. I'm thinking about trashing whatever's on some small old ipod i have like an old nano and trying to load it from that ibook tomorrow just to see what happens.

That ibook also contains some mp3s I created by ripping some of my CDs.

I recently acquired a Juke when I upgraded a Verizon plan cell line. I read on an Apple forum how to prepare the juke music space for mac use, reformatted the space as a mac hfs+ volume, dragged over a bunch of the mp3s et voila, successfully played the music and all was well. Until I noticed that some of the tracks were quitting early.

Then I started paying attention. The ones that quit early on the Juke were playing like 30 seconds, as if they were previews on itunes. The ones that played to end track are, I believe, all tracks I made from CDs. Not sure about the rest. I am beginning to wonder if the ones that don't work are from burn-and-imports of iTunes plus tracks, or... the tracks i had before I upgraded them to iTunes plus, or... i dunno! I just grabbed them off the ibook or maybe even off a backup of the ibook's stuff that I temporarily stuck back into the main library of one of my auth'd machines.

I know, I sound like a complete ditz that I can't even remember now what machine I loaded the juke from or where I got its mp3s from. See I didn't expect to have any luck with the Juke and a mac, anyway. But when I found out it would work -- trying one albums' worth of mp3s first-- then I got all excited and went and rounded up a whole bunch more stuff.

Maybe I have to start over and do some controlled experiments to find out what works and what doesn't work on the Juke. But, I thought I would run this post in here just to see if anyone has a clue what's going on.

All this stuff is for my personal use so I didn't think I was doing anything wrong putting a bunch of mp3s of stuff that belongs to me onto a non-apple music player I happen to own. Life should be so simple??

Possibly it's not the track encoding per se that's causing this problem but the software on the Juke doesn't like something about iTunes encoding in some particular version of iTunes? I hope it's not about versions. I'm not going back to re-encode stuff to mp3s just because my Juke objects. Maybe I don't need a whole lotta music on a tiny Juke, eh? Just make a note of what doesn't play and drag it back outta there on the next load, sigh...

Anyway I'll appreciate hearing any feedback on my little mp3 mystery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.