Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir. mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
I own an 800mhz iBook G4 (running OS 10.3) that recently started freezing on bootup. Everything would work normally - the Mac OS X image would appear with the loading bar underneath it. However, the entire process stops once it gets to "waiting for printing services". I tried booting from safe mode (by pressing and holding shift after the mac beep) but that results in the same scenario (only with "safe mode" written below when it stops at the same place)

I think I´ve tried everything but "archive and install", as I am a bit cautious and don´t want to loose loads and loads of stored mail.

I tried:
- Disk Utility (on OSX install disk) with verify and repair permissions
- zapping the P Ram
- safe mode (didn´t work)
- reset PMU

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
This was on another apple site:

cornelius said:
I've also reset the PRAM using command+option+p+r but it seems not working too.
Try this
Shut down computer.
Locate the following keys: Command, Option, P and R.
Hit the power button and immediately after chime hold down Command + Option + P + R.
Hold for three chimes
After third chime release keys
Immediately hold down Shift key to boot into Safe Mode.
Restart normally and log in.

Please post back with an update or with further questions/comments.

Cheers
happy.gif

cornelius

sir. mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Thanks, but tried that already. Still stops at "waiting for printing services" (though it says "safe mode")

macdot

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Could try Single User Mode (apple-s start up), or you could run it in FireWire disc mode and then repair/fix permissions and run a HDD verification from the other Mac. Disc Utility isn't 100% accurate unless you're not booted from the machine to be verified.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.