Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris bulla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Ok, so my Mac is acting up. For reference it's a Dual 1GHz PowerPC G4 (mirrored doors) running OS X Panther.

Over the last few months when booting up I would sometimes get a grey screen with foreign writing on it (was told this is Mac's "fatal exception screen"). If I turn off the computer a few times it would eventually boot up. I turned it on the other day and all I get is a grey screen with a folder in the middle that flashes between a finder logo & a question mark. Never seen this before, but I was told that there might be a problem with my hard drive. So I bought a new hard drive and Leopard, went to install it, and it crashed before it even started installing.

Someone has now told me this could be a logic board problem?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Ok, so my Mac is acting up. For reference it's a Dual 1GHz PowerPC G4 (mirrored doors) running OS X Panther.

Over the last few months when booting up I would sometimes get a grey screen with foreign writing on it (was told this is Mac's "fatal exception screen"). If I turn off the computer a few times it would eventually boot up. I turned it on the other day and all I get is a grey screen with a folder in the middle that flashes between a finder logo & a question mark. Never seen this before, but I was told that there might be a problem with my hard drive. So I bought a new hard drive and Leopard, went to install it, and it crashed before it even started installing.

Someone has now told me this could be a logic board problem?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It could also be a RAM problem. One of your chips might be bad. Try removing them one at a time and then start up the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.