Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelychris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2008
Hi,
ive read loads of stuff about this, but none of it makes sense.
how do i connect my ibook g4 to my tv? is it possible to use some kind of scart lead?
i really need a simple guide to doing this with links of exactly what to buy. i have read the forums about it before, and none of it makes sense to me! :confused:
so how best can I do it?
thanks for any help,
Chris :D

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Well it would depend on the ports available on your TV.

For DVI
Get the
mini-DVI to DVI Adapter for DVI-D only
then whatever length DVI-D Cable you need

For HDMI
Get
mini-DVI to DVI Adapter for DVI-D only
the a DVI to HDMI Cable of the length you need

For VGA
Get
mini-DVI to VGA Adapter
VGA cable of the right length

Install switchresx for non-standard resolution
Plug the cables together, into your TV and iBook
Switch inputs on your TV

For Audio
Get a mini-jack to RCA adapter cable, you may need to get two couplers and a RCA cable too if the former is not long enough
Plug the audio cable into the corresponding port on your TV

Note: Those adapters from Apple may or may not work they say they work on a PBG4 and from what I can tell from apple-history.com they have the same video port. Even this VGA adapter lists the iBook and Powerbook G4.

If you are using a non HDTV
then the Apple Video adapter
if you have S-Video
if you only have Composite
I do not think you will need SwitchResX for this type since the resolution is so low.

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
ibook has vga output. mini vga? if you bought it new it should have came with an adaptor that converts it to standard vga.

for my tv i have a vga input so i use that. if not you will need a vga to xxxx adaptor as mentioned in the previous post.

you'll need software like screen spanning doctor if you want to run it in anything other than mirrored mode if i remember. i got the software before i ever did much of anything with an external monitor.

for sound you'll output from the headphone port. so either headphone to rca adaptor. or straight input (my tv has pc audio input)

wheelychris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2008
you'll need software like screen spanning doctor if you want to run it in anything other than mirrored mode if i remember. i got the software before i ever did much of anything with an external monitor.

sorry it's all making way more sense, but i dont understand this bit!:confused:
what software is it that i would need? is it not just the case of plugging it in and the screen appears on the tv? sorry if im being stupid
thanks for your help

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
i put on the software from the start when i started running with an external monitor. it enables spanning and let's you set the resolution on the external monitor.

google screen spanning doctor

if you plug it in straight then i believe it will mirror your ibook screen at 1024x768. if that's what you want then don't worry about it.

try it out. it's not that complicated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.