PDA

View Full Version : G4 Powerbook Logic Board Dying

jonnyback
May 4, 2008, 12:06 PM
I have a Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz 15" which was dropped and had it's screen successfully replaced.

Since though the screen has been flickering on and off, polarising colours and often stays black with a dim grey line across the screen. (The screen is not working at least 75% of the time and the problem is becoming more frequent).

This problem occurred a month ago after the initial screen replacement and I took it back for a 2nd time and Apple checked the connections to the screen and they said the logic board may be the issue but it was working at the time so they gave it back to me. Since it has shown the above issues more and more.

When using an external screen the laptop is fine and works as before.

I took it back to Apple for a 3rd time today and they are pretty sure it's the logic board which costs about 600 to replace.

They claimed it was a problem of 'voltage slimming' in the CPU, which is basically they said, a power issue on the logic board.

I can't afford this and even if I could I would opt for a MacBook replacement for 700.

My question is:

Is there cheaper (UK based) solution?

Has anyone taken out a logic board and replaced it successfully? I'm guessing this is HARD!?

Thank you

Jonny