PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Advertisment/Promo Details...

arn
May 8, 2002, 09:58 PM
GNYC provides details regarding the upcoming Apple advertisments (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/05/20020507222255.shtml):

In the commercials, celebrities and regular people talk about PowerMac G4's, the new iMac, iPods, Powerbook G4's, and iBooks, and programs like iMovie. Errol Morris (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Morris,+Errol) was rolling tons of film while people talked and talked about how Mac had changed their lives. Musicians, such as Lew Reed, Spike Lee, Bella Fleck, the CEO of Phat Records, and a bunch of Grammy artists talked about products.

The commercial was up in Boston, but came down to New York to shoot at Silvercup Studios in Queens. In total, it was about a week and half long shoot in late April to early May. It didnít really focus on the new products, but more on how they have helped these people do tasks such as editing in a plane. Each person was shot with a different Mac product on a pedestal next to them. One person talked about how he went from being an engineer to a furniture designer because of Macs.

This is very similar to the promos that Apple runs at MacWorlds or with releases of new products. This would imply that if the new iBook is being released soon, it will have the same design, but only internal upgrades. That way, this promo could be used for its release.

G4scott
May 8, 2002, 10:05 PM
This is what Apple needs, not an ad that shows raw specs, but how you can use a Mac effectively, and be successful, and have fun too. I hope these ad's do well...

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by arn
Musicians, such as Lew Reed, Spike Lee, Bella Fleck, the CEO of Phat Records, and a bunch of Grammy artists talked about products.

what the?! spike lee's a musician now???

haha. well, it sounds good. looking forward to seeing it/them

christof
May 8, 2002, 10:49 PM
Well...

I guess Apple's finally taking the FULL plunge. Beginning with the Apple Store employee t-shirts... And now, taking to the airwaves...

Say hello...

"Everything is easier on a Mac."

As someone said earlier, of course... "Think different." is here to stay. And Apple will always be for the crazy ones...

My only fear... Will the commercials be as eye-catching and memorable as "Window"?

I hope that we'll start seeing some mud-slinging, PC-hating, Pentium-on-snailing, burning up little green men commercials--of course, hidden subliminally in the background. (So much for commercials that show of a "brand-new" product: iCam, iPhone, iWallet, iDream, iServer...)

Here's to Apple!

Christof

syntax
May 9, 2002, 01:49 AM
Douglas Rushkoff (http://www.rushkoff.com/blog.html) has some commentary on his participation in the new campaign. Cool!

peterjhill
May 9, 2002, 06:20 AM
It must be a pretty high-pressure job making ads for Apple.

I still get misty eyed when I see 1984 and the "Think Different" "Here's to the..." ad. will the new ads do this? I hope so.

drastik
May 9, 2002, 09:51 AM
I love all of the apple ads, got tired of Geoff Goldblum, though. Maybe they could get the Coen brothers to do one, like the gap. Dennis Hopper by the pool with a TiBook. Then Cristina Ricci comes in naked... Oh wait, that was my dream last night.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by arn
This is very similar to the promos that Apple runs at MacWorlds or with releases of new products. This would imply that if the new iBook is being released soon, it will have the same design, but only internal upgrades. That way, this promo could be used for its release.

The same could be said for the desktop G4s. That might be a sign we won't see G5s any time soon, well at least till MWSF 2003. Damn, damn, damn. MWNY might get a speed bump and bus/memory upgrade, what a shame.

When do you think these commercials will start airing? Maybe they come out soon, with the new iBook rumors and all. We still have a couple months till July, so I can still hope.

crassusad44
May 9, 2002, 12:28 PM
I have yet to see Apple making a 5-min video for an update to one model, with artist and other famous people talk about the new product. These kind of promos tend to appear with a big announcement, and a new design. Like with the PowerBook G4, the new iBook, the iPod, the new flat-panel iMac, and the PowerMac G5.......

Well, one can hope....

rekras
May 9, 2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by crassusad44
I have yet to see Apple making a 5-min video for an update to one model, with artist and other famous people talk about the new product. These kind of promos tend to appear with a big announcement, and a new design. Like with the PowerBook G4, the new iBook, the iPod, the new flat-panel iMac, and the PowerMac G5.......

Well, one can hope....

I think you fail to see the intention of these new ads. Apple is making them not to show off new products, but to explain the benefits of the macintosh, and how it has changed people's lives for the better... so people realize it's more than just a pretty computer. it's basically the same theme as all their other ads have been lately around, "everything is easier on a mac"

Vanilla
May 9, 2002, 07:54 PM
I really wish they would start to promote how effective Macs are for business.

For example, how about showing a busy executive coolly producing a great looking presentation in powerpoint while on a plane, (advertising ms office X and the great battery life), seamlessly connecting to clients networks, smoothly connecting to projectors and displaying his presentation, gaining admiring glances from colleagues, going back on the plane and watching a dvd or listening to some Mp3's in Itunes etc.

I am getting soooo frustrated that Apples advertising merely perpetuates either the "niche product, for media types only" stereotype or the "computing made simple for ordinary folk wanting to do cool stuff" stereotype.

If they really want to significantly increase market share they must promote the brand to the business sector, starting with the management/IS consultant road warrior (i.e., me actually)

Okay rant over, off for a beer.
Vanilla

peterjhill
May 10, 2002, 05:56 AM
I think it would be great if Apple had some ads that took some shots at people who are buying PC's. They have had all the "fun" when it comes to people wanting Macs.

Let's see a guy with a Dell on a Plane sitting next to a woman, he says how he just got his Dell, and tries to be slick and watch a movie, but oh, it won't work. The woman pulls out her i/TiBook and puts on some cool action movie and says, "You should have gotten a Mac.

(from my personal experience with a new Dell Optiplex at work, I had to lower the resolution to 800x600 (half of normal) and 16bit color in order for it to show DVD's)

Or a split screen, two people bring digital video cameras home, one has a Dell desktop, the other a new iMac. The guy with the Dell tries to find a firewire port to plug his camera in, the guy with the mac plugs his in. The PC guy leaves, while the Mac guy is downloading video. The PC screen fades to black then comes back, PC guy pulls a box with a firewire card out of a bag and starts to take apart his computer to intall the card, fade on PC Guy again, Mac guy editing his movies. PC guy plugs his camera in,
nothing happens, Mac guy sticks a blank dvd into his computer. PC guy starts installing software, Mac guy takes dvd out of his computer, and walks into living room, pops dvd into his home dvd player, his wife comes in, and they watch the movie, pc guy is waiting for software to install.

(of course WinXp comes with that movie maker software, but I can't imagine it actually being good.

ThorPrime
May 10, 2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by peterjhill
I think it would be great if Apple had some ads that took some shots at people who are buying PC's. They have had all the "fun" when it comes to people wanting Macs.

(of course WinXp comes with that movie maker software, but I can't imagine it actually being good.

You know, That one about the split screen really wouldn't be that bad. I wish they would do something like that, except have the PC guy realize that the software on his Dell won't let him export back into the camera or do full screen video.(let alone a DVD)