Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

666gamer666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2008
Dear All,

I have a MacBook black...and I installed Medal of Honor : Allied Assault, but seem to run into a problem, the games does not open, but instead there is a scontinuous scratching sound...while the games does not open...but i can see the menu bar change to Medal of Honor...

Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

The Macbook is fully updated..

thanks!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
This game had an update. Did you install it? The only other reason I can suspect is that it's not playing well with Rosetta, the software which allows old PPC software to run on Intel Macs. I'd be surprised if you got acceptable performance out of the game, even if it ran.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
I was going to agree that it's probably a Rosetta issue - although the MR guide suggests otherwise. http://guides.macrumors.com/Universal_Binary_Games.

Instead, it may be one of those "no game from Aspyr, past present or future, is ever compatible with whatever graphics card Apple is using in an old and/or new machine" issues (I exaggerate, but only just). That may require help from the company's unhelpful support folks.

An alternative: I bought this game a few years back but only played it once - it looked so rough compared not only to Halo, but also to console MoH games and to other Mac WWII games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The Wolfenstein game might be another option if MoH won't run.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
According to that thread, the results seem to be processor-specific. I suppose I will have to give this a try myself when my new iMac arrives later this week.

Yes, MOHAA is a bit of an antique, but some of us still like it. ;)

(The reality is, this is the only FPS I've ever gotten even remotely good at playing, so this is the one I play when I feel a need for this sort of distraction.)

redsaurus

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
The problem is with fullscreen mode on x3100s, try dumping this .cfg into your base or main or whatever it is for MoH:AA folder - so for example it would go to /Applications/Jedi Academy/base/autoexec.cfg or /pathblahblah/Wolfenstein ET/etmain/autoexec.cfg (for other games with this problem).

blouieee

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
The problem is with fullscreen mode on x3100s, try dumping this .cfg into your base or main or whatever it is for MoH:AA folder - so for example it would go to /Applications/Jedi Academy/base/autoexec.cfg or /pathblahblah/Wolfenstein ET/etmain/autoexec.cfg (for other games with this problem).

I had the same problem. I did the following. I can now run Allied Assault, but Breakthrough and Spearhead still do not run.

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
For MoHAA and it's addons, add that config file in all the main folders. I think from memory they are main, mainta and maintt.

I think the issues may be stemmed from the lack of 16bit colour in the drivers. Try using 32bit and going fullscreen (I think Alt-Enter/Option-Return will swap in and out of fullscreen).

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
There's only one "main" folder in MOHAA, and indeed this where modifications go. I've been running this game successfully on my iMac under Rosetta, without any modifications. I believe the game sees my Mac as a dual G4.

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
The additional main folders are for the addons. If my memory serves me right, mainta is spearhead and maintt is breakthrough.

As I stated beforehand, I think this issue is for the intel graphic card based Macs as the the drivers do not allow the display of 16-bit colours. As far as I know, iMacs have either ATi or nVidia chipsets for graphics, hence should not have the problem.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Ah, right. I'd like to get the "no CD" hack to work with MOHAA. Last I heard, this needed to be installed under Classic. Any clues? It's a pain having to dig out the CD every time.

aidan1

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
Fixing the bug

Thanks a lot guys. This info really helped me set up Medal of Honor. It's weird how the game can run smoothly on a older mac OS X imac and not a macbook OS X 10.5.4....but i guess thats mac for you...full instructions to fix the bug....open up medal of honor: allied assault folder and choose the main folder...look for autoexec.cfg...open it up with a word program and then write seta r_colorbits "32" and save.(thanks to redsaurus for this!!!) then re-open allied assault which should now work. In order to get spearhead to work, open up the mainta folder and look for newconfig.cfg. open with word program and look for seta r_colorbits 16 and change it to 32. save and then spearhead should work...thanks again:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.