Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpa1093

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
San Diego
I've had my IPT since October, and it's been awesome. I sometimes find it amazing/annoying when people complain about the dumbest things.. but now I feel like I'm one of them.

Whenever I turn on my ipod from sleep, there is no wifi icon and, for about ten seconds, I can't do anything. For example I turn it on and hit the weather icon, and it shows "update failed" for around twenty seconds until wifi seems to 'kick in'. Is this a "problem" for anyone else? I know it's not that big of a deal but I was wondering if the ipod should be on wifi all the time, and not just when it's in use? Is this normal for any other users? Thanks everyone

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I've had my IPT since October, and it's been awesome. I sometimes find it amazing/annoying when people complain about the dumbest things.. but now I feel like I'm one of them.

Whenever I turn on my ipod from sleep, there is no wifi icon and, for about ten seconds, I can't do anything. For example I turn it on and hit the weather icon, and it shows "update failed" for around twenty seconds until wifi seems to 'kick in'. Is this a "problem" for anyone else? I know it's not that big of a deal but I was wondering if the ipod should be on wifi all the time, and not just when it's in use? Is this normal for any other users? Thanks everyone

It happens to me too, but I don't think it's much of a problem. When you first select the Wi Fi network from the Settings menu, it does take several seconds to connect to it. When the iPod goes into sleep mode it disconnects Wi Fi to save battery, and then goes through the reconnecting process when you turn it back on.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I got mine about that time and mine is only delayed about 2-3 secconds
but the router is open so that might have sompthing to do with it

Renator

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I got mine about that time and mine is only delayed about 2-3 secconds
but the router is open so that might have sompthing to do with it

I had a similar problem, but added to it: my Touch would go to one Internet address just fine and then lock up. I reset the Touch several times and still the problem recurred. I finally reset the router (Airport Extreme) and the problem was solved.

This may be one place to look.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York

I had a similar problem, but added to it: my Touch would go to one Internet address just fine and then lock up. I reset the Touch several times and still the problem recurred. I finally reset the router (Airport Extreme) and the problem was solved.

This may be one place to look.

Oh it wasnt a prob for me, i just wanted to give him an extra data point

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.