Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Just moved to a new apt which offers free T1 internet. I found the active ethernet port and it works fine directly hooked up to the MBP. My express base station is working and communicating fine with my MBP but flashes amber even when ethernet is connected.

Anyone got any ideas? Obviously the internet is active from the wall, is my AE in client mode?

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Could you try running AirPort Utility? It is in /Applications/Utilities. See if you can configure your AirPort Express' settings in there.

You might want to ask your apartment's management for the settings needed for accessing the internet, i.e. DHCP or static IP, DNS servers, subnet mask, etc.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, I will ask them tomorrow, I dont understand the difference b/w DHCP and all that.
Another funny thing is my PS3 says "No ethernet detected" when I hook it up from the wall to the PS3.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
There might be no signal on that Ethernet yet! Your PS3 is saying there's no connection there.

You could plug in your MBP direct to the Ethernet as see if it works. Slim chance of that happening though.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
There might be no signal on that Ethernet yet! Your PS3 is saying there's no connection there.

You could plug in your MBP direct to the Ethernet as see if it works. Slim chance of that happening though.

No, that's the weird thing, as my original post says it works fine from Wall>Ethernet>MBP.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
No, that's the weird thing, as my original post says it works fine from Wall>Ethernet>MBP.

Oh sorry! My eyes glazed over... :eek:

Do ask your apartment's management for the internet settings though.
Other than that, you could try resetting your AirPort Express.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Make sure the automatically connect is unchecked with an ethernet
connection when switching to airport mode. Computer that had been
connected via ethernet will continue to try and connect if you don't
while your trying via airport.

Simple, but thats what my problem used to be.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Strange thing happened. A few days ago I tried the airport in the morning and still amber. I left it connected and ran some errands and came home maybe an hour later and it was green! Wierd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.