PDA

View Full Version : Midi controller or digital piano recommendations

gregjp48
May 5, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hi, I'm in the market for a keyboard of some sort. We do not have room for an acoustic piano in my house, and those crappy keyboards with no weighting just do not cut it. I was thinking of saving money by using a MIDI keyboard I could hook up to my mac, but it seems all of the reasonably priced ones have crappy aftertouch and are semi-weighted, so don't really replicate the piano experience. the only one I was considering was the M-Audio axiom 61, since the Keystation models apparently have a really springy feel from the reviews i've been reading. Would I be better off with a digital piano like the Casio PX110? The digital pianos seem nice since they would work well as a piano and if I wanted to record the vast majority of them work as midi controllers/ have usb ports. The only instrument I will be playing is piano, so I don't need any of the other crap like drum pads or switchable instruments. I just want the piano to feel good playing; feel is the most important thing to me. I'm also on a budgetj, and can't really spend more than $400. $500 is pushing it. I know you get what you pay for, but is there some sort of gem that would be good. I'm not going to be using this for performance or on stage, so I don't need a buttload of features, but a port for a sustain pedal might be nice, and I'd like to be able to plug headphones with it (with an adapter if necessary), so I can play and not disturb others.

Any recommendations?

Thanks so much

Papajohn56
May 6, 2008, 07:10 PM
Edit: Wow I'm kind of dumb. Ebay is a good place to start, you can pick up a professional quality KORG Triton within your price range that is weighted and has great sample sounds.