PDA

View Full Version : going wireless with virgin media

redgaz26
May 6, 2008, 08:15 AM
so I got virgin media today in place of sky, they gave me a free netgear router.
the thing is with them you still need to use the modem and then attach the router. airport finds the network no bother but asks for the wpa key and not the password on the back of the router. thing is you cannot go to the routers address via the browser as theres only one ethernet plug on the modem.
so i am unable to get the router working and i cant use it using the erthenet cable as it has to go through the modem???
hope someone knows what im on about:confused::confused:

TheHitcher
May 6, 2008, 08:34 AM
I've got the same setup as you, Virgin Media + Netgear router.

You need to setup another user in your Virgin Media broadband users list, i think they call it adding another computer, thats called something like wireless, so the modem allows the router to access the signal. Then restart all your equipment and then go to the router setup to get the WPA key.

Thats how i did it, but if that does not work for you, give them a call and they can talk you through it, they actually know about Macs too.

redgaz26
May 6, 2008, 08:47 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

thanks for the quick reply. I'm on my way to work now but will try that when I get home. There's nothing on their help pages about macs and of course the install disk is for windows. Only reason I'm bothering about wireless is for my iPhone.

redgaz26
May 6, 2008, 10:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Been thinking about this. If I use two erthernet cables would I be able to access the routers settings.
Modem - erthenet cable - router - erthenet cable - mac????

redgaz26
May 6, 2008, 06:12 PM
well i did as i said above and managed to get onto the routers settings, just to get it working i disabled the wap security pressed apply but after several minutes of it saying its updating it did nothing:confused::confused::confused:
thing is airport says it is connected to the router and so does my iphone but i aint. think ill have to phone virgin tomorrow and hope the person i get knows about macs.....oh the joys:D