Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewireman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Michigan
Hello, I was wondering why my powerbook G4 won't read the lower memory slot. I have 2 1GB DDR memory. What Should I do? Thanks guys!

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Hello, I was wondering why my powerbook G4 won't read the lower memory slot. I have 2 1GB DDR memory. What Should I do? Thanks guys!

Did you install new memory in the slot?
Did you try swapping the RAM modules on the slots?
What happens if only the lower slot has a module and the upper is left blank?

KoolStar

macrumors demi-god
Oct 16, 2006
Kentucky
Powerbooks are notorious for ram slots dieing. This is not an uncommon thing. Most stories that I have heard, the ram slot fails when people attempt to upgrade the ram. The only way to fix this is a new logic board. Most of the people I know just live with the one ram slot and a 2gb stick.

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Powerbooks are notorious for ram slots dieing. This is not an uncommon thing. Most stories that I have heard, the ram slot fails when people attempt to upgrade the ram. The only way to fix this is a new logic board. Most of the people I know just live with the one ram slot and a 2gb stick.

thewireman - My Powerbook lower ram slot died about a month ago. It wasn't after a recent RAM upgrade... I did upgrade the RAM a year ago. What KoolStar mentions about the logic board replacement is correct, from what I've found about the problem. I've been living with just one RAM slot since.

KoolStar - I haven't been able to locate a 2GB ram stick for my PB, just a 1GB. I wasn't aware they even made ram that size or that the PB would recognize it. More information (if you have or can get any) would be appreciated.

thewireman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Michigan
Thank you for quick reply.

I have swap the memory and still the same problem. So I know both of my memory are good. Where can I get my Logic board replaced? Could I order one? And about how much? Thanks!

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
The logic board itself is probably between $300 and $550 depending on your model and where you buy it (eBay, an online store, or from Apple). I thought about buying one for mine and replacing it myself, but figured that by the time I spend $400 - $500 on a logic board, I'm halfway to a refurb MacBook and just a little more gets a MacBookPro. That doesn't even include labor to install it. The PB itself (when both slots were working) was worth about $750-$900, so another thing I considered was putting 2/3 of the value back into it to fix this issue. (Kind of like paying more than a car is worth to get it fixed.)

On top of that, I read several reports of the replacement logic boards failing in the same way (after 6 months or a year) -- that made putting $400+ into repair even less worth it.

Now if you have AppleCare still active, you should be able to get it fixed at no cost.

So I saved up some cash and bought a refurb MBP. I had hoped to keep the PB G4 as my main machine for a couple more years, but it wasn't to be. It will still get use around the house. :)

Here's one place to get a logic board:
http://www.ifixit.com -- I've ordered other stuff from them and they were great.

They also have excellent guides to show you how to replace just about anything, including logic boards. I've read here about users doing logic board self-installs and being successful.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.