PDA

View Full Version : PC Magazine rates the G5 as the best of the best in personal...

MacBytes
Nov 18, 2003, 10:28 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: PC Magazine rates the G5 as the best of the best in personal computers. (http://www.think-code.com/think-discussions/viewtopic.php?p=1232#1232)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

leet1
Nov 18, 2003, 10:49 PM
Well, I hope the PC junkies can open their eyes and see where inovation and technology live...

lol, I don't think the new G5's are much higher/or higher at all on innovation and technology.

machinehien
Nov 18, 2003, 11:14 PM
wow this is great news for apple. I wish they went more in depth.

machinehien
Nov 18, 2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by leet1
lol, I don't think the new G5's are much higher/or higher at all on innovation and technology.

I think it's quite a leap forward in product engineering and specification. That cooling system alone is way ahead of most things those windoze overclockers have been doing. Plus the amount of thought that went into designing the interior makes for a very elegant solution, most PC's are a rats nest of wiring.

leet1
Nov 18, 2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by machinehien
I think it's quite a leap forward in product engineering and specification. That cooling system alone is way ahead of most things those windoze overclockers have been doing.

Ah, no way, you should check out http://www.overclockers.com :D

Plus the amount of thought that went into designing the interior makes for a very elegant solution, most PC's are a rats nest of wiring.

How many people do you know that own a Mac actually pop open the case? lol :p

punter
Nov 19, 2003, 12:04 AM
more good news for apple. as the poster mentioned with the super computer, the music store/ipod, the g5, plus this new 20"imac will be just straight out showing off.

is it just me or are apple going from strength to strength? Recent mistakes? 10.2.8? Slow pc development of itunes? nothing really major that I can think of.

Nermal
Nov 19, 2003, 12:19 AM

Well I plan to, once I get my Power Mac (got SuperDrive and memory to install!), but I know exactly what you mean :)

ITR 81
Nov 19, 2003, 02:07 AM
Has anyone seen Dec issue of MacAddict? It shows what happens when you add 3GB of ram to your G5 dual 2GHz machine. It was avg a 45% speed increase across the board but in alot single benchmarks it ran over 80-100% faster then over your avg G5 with 512 megs of ram.

It's always nice to see a Mac get top honors in a PC Mag hehe.

I'm now looking for a new LCD line to now appear before the end of the yr.

ITR 81
Nov 19, 2003, 02:10 AM

Most folks I know with G5's open them up quite abit and it's usually to had PCI card or ram. G5's love that ram. Just don't buy it from Apple it's not worth it when you can get the same ram from other shops cheaper.

rlarose
Nov 19, 2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Has anyone seen Dec issue of MacAddict? It shows what happens when you add 3GB of ram to your G5 dual 2GHz machine.
I was reading that article this morning. The only thing I want to know (as the article aluded to) is why is iTunes ripping so much slower on the monster? They are guessing it is because of the sony super-drive...

firewizard
Nov 19, 2003, 02:38 PM
How many people do you know that own a Mac actually pop open the case? lol :p [/B]
if i had one i would open it when i was bored just to see the beauty and those cool lights :p

bousozoku
Nov 19, 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by rlarose
I was reading that article this morning. The only thing I want to know (as the article aluded to) is why is iTunes ripping so much slower on the monster? They are guessing it is because of the sony super-drive...

It's possible that it has something to do with AltiVec being less capable with the PPC970.

It's always nice to see positive articles, but PC Magazine has a history of playing nice with advertisers.

Gateguy
Nov 19, 2003, 05:17 PM
As I understood it, it was the cd-rom mechanism that was causing it to rip slow. I read somewhere, that if you make a disk image of your cd-rom and then rip from the image there is a night and day difference.